- Design of fermenters, fermentation optimization and solid state fermentation.
- Pilot plant fermenters.
- Bubble column fermenters.
- Spray drying of bioproducts; ultra filtration of bioproducts.
- Fermentation contamination abatement.
- Solvent extraction of fermentation products and biproducts.
- Experience with: Enzyme production, organic acid production, amino acid production, omega 3 fatty acid production, yeast fermentation and starch conversion technology.
- Designed products and fermentation processes for sodium gluconate, butanol, lysine, lactic acid, bacitracin, amylases, proteases, citric acid, threonine, acetic acid and tryptophan.
- Developed a granular L-lysineHCl product and the purification process for its manufacture.
- Developed and marketed a new glucose isomerase.
- Analyzed fermentation mutation and nutrient improvement efforts which decreased fermentation times by one third and increased yields five fold.
- Improved biological waste water treatment processes.
- Developed diagnostic techniques for various products from dioxin to chlorides.
Independent Consultant, 1992 - present
- Consulted with many companies on biotechnology processes.
- Clients included BASF, Celanese, Martek, Cargill, ADM, Tate and Lyle, and many others.
Archer Daniels Midland, Technology Director, Decatur, Illinois, 1989 - 1992
- Developed and installed processes for lysine, lactic acid, gluconate bacitracin, etc.
- Evaluated and/or acquired technology for threonine, tryptophan glutamate, etc.
Miles Inc., Research Director, Elkhart, Indiana, 1983 - 1988
- Worked on citric acid, enzymes, cheese cultures, itaconic acid, etc.
West Virginia University, Professor, Morgantown, West Virginia, 1975 - 1983
- Taught graduate and undergraduate Chemical Engineering courses.
- Performed research on microbial environmental and coal problems.
Honors & Publications
Patents and Publications
- 10 Patents
- 70 Publications
- 50 Presentations
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan
M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan
B. S., Chemical Engineering, University of Dayton