- Development of large diameter pressurized fiber reinforced pipe (FRP) pipe products, pipe and joint fittings.
- Design, manufacture and testing of composite wind energy turbine blades.
- Design and failure analysis of composite bicycle parts.
- Failure analysis and repair of wind energy turbine blades and wind airfoils.
- Composite materials evaluation including most fiber reinforcements and polymer matrix resins.
- Composite structures manufacturing processes, design and analysis methodology, nondestructive testing (NDI), property testing and market research.
- Internationally recognized technical expert with services on critical U.S. Government and industry committees, and professional society advisory boards, in areas of commercial and aerospace composites design and manufacturing technology.
- Marketing, management, engineering and manufacturing technical roles within the composite structures and propulsion industry.
- Composite export control regulations.
- Expert witness and litigation support: Consulting expert, testifying expert, design and analysis support, manufacturing/processing assessment, testing, inspection and forensic services, insurance claims, third party inspections.
- Composite market evaluations.
Independent Consultant, 1997 - Present
- Expert Witness, litigation and insurance support services.
- Expert Witness in trade secret and process/design technology cases involving: Solid rocket motors, composite bicycle parts, fiber optic instrumentation technology; carbon fiber composite bicycle fork failure; treadmill platform failure (sports & recreation industry); vacuum bagged composite; slot cell armor (power industry); pultruded oilfield FRP sucker rod; composite oilfield patents; and filament winding equipment.
- Primary consultant on large composite structure for oilfield technology application involving deep sea (1000 - 3000 meter depths) submergence of 1 - 2 meter diameter carbon fiber/epoxy compression - loaded structures.
- Expert Witness for insurance litigation involving NASA X - 33 Cryogenic Tank failure assessment of carbon/epoxy composites manufacturing, design, honeycomb core to composite failure assessment, autoclave and vacuum bagged process assessment with fiber placement technology, NDI and testing technology for insurance claims submitted by manufacturing contractor.
- Carbon fiber market, carbon fiber production and capacity survey for carbon fiber supplier customer interested in worldwide carbon fiber (PAN and pitch base fibers) assessment.
- Expert Witness for civil suit involving carbon fiber suppliers as materials and manufacturing technology expert in price fixing suit on behalf of materials suppliers.
- Expert Witness for owner of carbon composite Beech/Raytheon Starship with corrosion problems in composite fuselage using lightning strike metal carbon fabric/epoxy prepreg materials.
- Expert Witness for civil suit as composites manufacturing technology and design in case involving patent infringements on composites resin infusion manufacturing process for commercial aircraft, composite bicycle parts, marine and advanced composites/FRP markets.
- Market survey study for carbon and graphite fiber supplier interested in thermoplastic composites market applications for commercial and military aircraft structures, as well as definition of carbon/graphite supplier base worldwide.
Undisclosed, Managing Member, 1969 - Present
- Development of large diameter pressurized FRP pipe products (pipe and joint fittings) that are outside existing API Standards for Kazakhstan customer through design, testing and process development.
- Designed and developed carbon/epoxy composite drill pipe sections with heat pipe system for controlling temperature and contained pressure of solidified methane hydrate core samples obtained at greater than 1000 feet drill levels.
- Consultant to Westinghouse Marine on drilling/production riser technology, oilfield environmental effects, and design technology for composites usage in oilfield industry.
- Designed, developed, and certified underground petroleum storage tank system and waste water treatment storage tanks.
- Conducted market surveys for Pacific Rim customers in composite and FRP processes with compressed natural gas (CNG) and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) applications and developed a business strategy.
- Solid propellant and casebond structural integrity, subscale design and instrumented motor consulting for number of industry and government agencies (Lockheed, Thiokol, US Navy, US Air Force, Aerojet, The Aerospace Corporation, US Department of Commerce, National Research Council, NASA).
- Member of advisory board for SAMPE/CALTRANS Seismic Retrofit & Rehabilitation (SRR) program using composites technology for infrastructure applications.
- Recognized industry expert in damage assessment in composite pressure vessels.
Society for Advancement of Material & Process Engineering (SAMPE), Member, 1996 - Present
- International Technical Director for 4500 member professional society with key responsibilities over two technical journals (SAMPE Journal and Journal of Advanced Materials), technical conferences, and overall society technical guidance.
- Technical Editor, SAMPE Journal, SAMPE's bi monthly technical and membership journal publication.
- Acting Editor for Journal of Advanced Materials.
- Editorial Reviewer for Journal of Advanced Materials, SAMPE's peer - reviewed academic and technical journal publication.
- Technical Program Manager for SAMPE on Seismic Retrofit & Repair (SRR) Program for evaluating and developing composite standards for bridge column repair technology for wide range of carbon and glass fiber composite materials.
American Composite Manufacturers Association (ACMA), 1997 - Present
- Contributing Editor for ACMA's technical journal.
- Conducts tutorials and workshops for ACMA on FRP (fiber reinforced plastics) materials, processing, manufacturing and design technologies.
Honors & Publications
- Elected Fellow, Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE).
- Presidential Appointment (President Bush), U.S. Department of Commerce, Materials Technical Advisory Committee (MTAC).
- Suppliers of Advanced Composite Materials Association (SACMA) Materials Leadership Award.
- Presidential Appointment (President Clinton), U.S. Department of Commerce, Materials Technical Advisory Committee.
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) Composites Manufacturing Association (CMA) "Jud" Hall Composites Manufacturing Award.
- Commendations from U.S. Secretary of Commerce on Export Control Regulations Negotiations for Paris COCOM Negotiations on advanced materials technology.
- Authored over 250 technical publications that established industry standards for composite materials, composite/FRP structures, and solid propulsion design, analysis, testing, inspection, and manufacturing methodology.
- Author of critical reports on composite pressure vessel design, manufacturing and processing, test and inspection methods, damage assessment, and accept/reject criteria- current primary industry standards for assessing impact, surface cut, abrasion, and delamination damage to composite pressure vessels and tanks.
- Developed advanced and practical hands on, technology courses for key composites manufacturing processes (filament winding, resin transfer molding, hand layup, vacuum bagging, and hybrid combinations).
- Ph.D. Interdisciplinary Engineering - Mechanics and Materials, Texas A & M University
- M.S. Aeronautics - Materials, California Institute of Technology
- B.S. Aerospace Engineering, Texas A & M University