- Chemicals, polymers and related plastic forming techniques.
- Patent Infringement: Expert witness in two major law suits related to patent infringement.
- Natural fibers plastic composites.
- Thermal, mechanical, and rheological barrier properties of materials.
- Plastic film properties including dimensional stability, optical properties, adhesive and coheisve failure, occurrence of gel defects, and bubble instability during blown film process.
- Nylons polyamides: Pioneering work on nylon families of PA6, PA66, PA46, PA12 and amorphous nylons.
- Expertise in structure-property-processing relationships of nylon materials: Crystallinity, crystallite size, orientation, melt-rheology, dimensional stability and associated manufacturing problems.
- Compounding and additives for nylon polymers: Commercialized a cost-effective, high performance lubricant for nylon plastics; developed nucleating agents and clarifiers; defined unexpected benefits of additives; and, developing new applications for compounded polyamides.
Expert Witness Experience
- Expert witness in a winning litigation between two Fortune 100 companies.
- Participated in a winning patent infringement case between two Fortune 100 companies held in Canada.
- Prepared documents for patent disputes handled by arbitragers.
Independent Polymer Consultant, 2004 - Present
Imerys, Roswell, GA, Senior Technology Fellow and Director, 2005 - 2009
- Developed a novel "near-nano kaolin clay/polymer" application for gas barrier plastic film.
- Developed the most definitive understanding to date of CaCO3 - stearic acid interactions and patented technology at manufacturing stage.
Rayonier, Jesup, GA, Project Manager, 2001 - 2004
- Composite products: Evaluated fibers, including wood fiber, wood flour, highly purified cellulose, kenaf, and rayon in comparison to glass fibers, in different polymer matrices.
- Plastics matrix evaluated included polypropylene (PP) and nylons (PA6 or N6).
- Maximized the mechanical properties of composites such as flexural stiffness, flexural strength, notched izod strength, heat distortion temperature.
- Developed a novel compounding process to achieve high reinforcement dispersion at commercially acceptable throughputs.
Allied Signal / Honeywell, Morristown, NJ, Principal Scientist, 1975 - 2001
- Studied, published, and lectured on numerous polymers such as polyethylene (PE), PP, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polyvinylidene chloride (PVdC), polyethylene terephthalate (PET), polybutylene terephthalate (PBT), polystyrene (PS), polycarbonate (PC), fluoropolymers such as Teflon, PFA, PVdF, and PCTFE.
- Developed a "paper-like film" from a research and development concept to respond to a need for an environmentally friendly packaging film.
- R&T's Business Unit Liaison to Specialty Films Business and key technologist for Packaging Resins Business.
- Led Emerging Technologies to improve moisture and oxygen gas barrier of plastic films by modified metallization and other coatings such as SiOx / AlOx via plasma enhanced chemical vapor deposition (PECVD) and E-beam vaporization.
- Continuously solved problems related to plastic films such as dimensional stability, optical properties, adhesive / cohesive failure, occurrence of gel defects, and bubble instability during blown film process.
- Demonstrated expertise in thermal, mechanical, and rheological barrier properties of materials.
- Pioneering work on nylons (PA6, PA66, PA46, PA12, and amorphous nylons).
- Invented and commercialized new applications of additives and lubricants.
- Successfully solved manufacturing problems occurring during injection molding, blow molding, thermoforming, cast and blown film operations.
Honors & Publications
- Director of courses on Polymeric Films, Polymer Melt Rheology, Thermal Properties, and Analytical Sciences offered in the U.S. and in Europe.
- Contributions to technology leveraged sales growth of over 50 million and recognized by Corporate R&T through 5 Special Recognition Awards and 3 business awards, namely, Growth, Save, and Sale of the year awards.
- Recipient of the International Mettler award of the North American Thermal Analysis Society for outstanding contributions to thermoanalytical sciences. Society elected Fellow.
- Recipient of the International Engineering / Technology award of the Society of Plastics Engineers for fundamental contributions to the field of plastics.
Publications and Patents
- Author of: Over 120 research publications, (81 in reviewed journals, books, and encyclopedias).
- Over 21 U.S. Patents.
- Ph.D. Polymer Science & Engineering, Polytech, NY
- M.S. Polymer Science & Engineering, Polytech, NY
- M.S. Chemical Analysis and Process Control, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- M.S. Analytical Chemistry, University of Delhi
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Delhi