- Battery design and simulation.
- Battery separators, battery components and battery material's technology.
- Lithium-ion battery development.
- Hybrid electric vehicles battery power systems.
- Enterprise information systems for batteries and fuel cells.
- Microporous plastic separators for batteries and Li ion cells
Independent Consultant, 1999 - Present
- Consultant and software provider for battery related battery design, operatons and simulation.
Director, Advanced Product Development, PolyStor Corporation, 1998 - 1999
- Led efforts to develop large lithium-ion batteries.
- Designed and staffed organization, established and maintained key partnerships and customer relationships.
- Successfully won $9.5 million contract for development of batteries for hybrid electric vehicles and met project milestones.
Hoechst Celanese Corporation, Staff Engineer, 1994 - 1998
- From ground-up, designed and then managed Battery Applications Development Center for building and testing AA size Li Ion cells.
- Developed techniques for characterizing separators and helped direct separator development efforts; this work contributed to development of first commercial dry-stretch, shutdown separator.
- Provided technical service for battery separators based on "Cell Guard" micorporous membranes and other materials.
- Established relationships with universities, and with corporate research laboratories of major customers.
W. R. Grace & Co., Senior and Staff Engineer, Connecticut, 1986 - 1994
- Led team for development of new microporous plastic separator for Li ion cells which led to licensing of the technology.
- Developed process for making permanently wettable polymeric mats for recombinant lead-acid batteries.
- Invented process for making microporous ceramics.
- Consultant for electrophoretic deposition coatings.
- Worked extensively on lithium battery development: Showed feasibility of carbon intercalation electrodes, developed specifications for battery components and assembly process, mathematical modeling of porous electrodes.
- Invented novel processes for lead removal from a process stream and for on-site generation of halogens.
- Developed optimum conditions for new commercial process to produce vermiculite dispersions.
- Consult with operating divisions on plant problems (for example, corrosion, waste treatment, electrolyte chemistry).
Honors & Publications
3 Book Chapters
Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison
M.S. Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University
B.S. Chemical Engineering, Arizona State University
B.S. Computer Science, University of Maryland