- Formulation development of polyurethane products, including elastomers, rigid and elastic foams, adhesives, structural adhesives, sealants, coatings, water dispersions ~Polyurethane products for electronics, automotive, space, construction, agricultural, and other applications.
- Polyurethanes for medical application, including immobilization casts, implantable foams, implantable load bearing elastomers, and adhesives.
- Evaluation of new and novel polyurethane raw material in polyurethanes.
- Structure-property relationship of polyurethane materials.
- Kinetics and catalysis evaluation of isocyanate reactions.
- Heat resistant systems and foams based on epoxy/isocyanate, isocyanate, and imide compositions.
- Deformulation of polyurethane systems.
- Isocyanate â€“ epoxy castings and foams, polycarbonate foams, and foams for electrical insulation.
- Heat activated one-component sealants; water cured sealants.
- Patent strategy development and writing.
- Expert assistance in litigation.
Research Director and co-founder, a polymer firm, 2001-present
- Coordinate and lead contract R&D efforts for development of a wide range of polyurethane materials with tailored properties for biomedical, electronics, construction, automotive, space, chemical, and agricultural applications. Expertise in polyurethane foams, elastomers, structural adhesives, immobilization casts, blocked-isocyanate heat activated products, clear polyurethane cast elastomers, and hydrophilic polyurethanes. Evaluation of new and novel raw materials for polyurethanes. Coordinate studies on the environmental stability of isocyanates.
Senior Research Scientist and Adjunct Professor, Polymer Institute, University of Detroit-Mercy, 1988-2001
- Fundamental research and application development projects with focus on polyurethanes. Primarily contract research projects sponsored by private sector and governmental agencies. Coordinate research work of visiting scientists from around the globe and graduate students working on graduate thesis. Kinetics and mechanism of isocyanate-based reactions, structure-property relationship in polyurethane elastomers and foams (both rigid and flexible), development of heat resistant polymer properties (oxazolidone, isocyanurate, polyimides), fuel resistant foams, medical products (immobilization cast, artificial joints, drug release platform), and acrylate/polyurethane blends.
R&D positions in academia and polyurethane industry in Bosnia and Herzegovina, 1974-1988
Honors & Publications
- Published Patents and Applications â€“ 16
- Technical Publications â€“ 64
- Best poster at the API Polyurethanes Conference 2005
- Best paper at the Polyurethanes World Congress 1997
- Best paper at the SPI Annual Polyurethane Conference, Polyurethanes 1996
- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Zagreb, Croatia
- M.S., Chemistry, University of Zagreb, Croatia
- B.S., Chemistry, University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina