- International recognition in the understanding and prediction of structure-processing-morphology-property-performance relationships in polymers (thermoplastics, thermosets, and rubbers/elastomers); and in their blends, foams, films, coatings and composites.
- Polymer blends, foams, films, coatings, and composites.
- Fundamental physics of materials in specific classes of polymers and problem solving in the full range of industrial polymers.
- Product development, manufacturing processes, polymer material testing and characterization.
- Conventional composites and nano-composites designed for use in applications requiring extreme or unique performance characteristics by tailoring composition, morphology and properties at the nanometer length scale.
- Polymer materials modeling and simulation development through twenty years' as a technical leader in a multidisciplinary research and development industry.
- Technical background in polycarbonates, bisphenol-A polyesters, PET, polyethylenes, polypropylene, polyvinyls, polyvinylidenes, polyacrylates, poly(alkyl acrylates), polyacrylamides and ABS.
- Experience with polyureas, polyurethanes, thermosets (polyureas, polyurethanes, epoxies), elastomers (thermoplastic and crosslinked, amorphous and semicrystalline, polyurethane and polyolefin), rigid rodlike (liquid crystalline) polymers, biopolymers (cellulosics), and fillers (both conventional and nanoscale).
- Physical forms materials: Amorphous and semicrystalline polymers, solid and molten polymers, unmodified polymers, polymers used as matrix materials in composites, blends, composites, foams, gels, coatings, thin films, thick specimens, suspensions, and solutions.
- Technology assessments through report writing and presentations, identifying importance resulting in the development of sound strategic and tactical recommendations.
- Science and technology of compatibilization and polymer impact modification of carbon nanotubes, nano-composites, dendrimers, biopolymers (polyhydroxyalkanoates), oleochemicals, and smart materials.
- Software development of commercial software for polymer modeling; SYNTHIA software module for quantitative structure-property relationships by Accelrys. Led development of additional software for polymer and composite modeling.
- Legal support in patent infringement and product liability, providing analytical laboratory testing/characterization, and reports, addressing adversarial situations.
Independent Consultant, 2004 - Present
- Spanning a broad range of consulting expertise including general consulting in polymer and polymer composite science and technology.
- Technology assessment of polymer related problems.
- Expert witness, technical writing and editing, customized software development and presentation of short courses.
Dow Chemical, Midland, MI, Scientist, 1986 - 2004
Research and Development and Physical Sciences Laboratory
- Gradually increasing set of responsibilities and advancement up the technical ladder over the years, culminating in the senior technical leadership role indicated by the rank of "Scientist."
Energy Conversion Devices, Inc., Troy, MI, Senior Research Scientist, 1982 - 1986
- Used theoretical chemistry and theoretical solid state physics to study advanced inorganic materials developed for photovoltaic, electrical and optical switching, and hydrogen storage applications.
University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, Post-doctoral Research Fellow, 1981 - 1982
- Research areas: Theory of molecular electronic structure, dynamics of molecular rearrangements, and ab initio quantum mechanical calculations on specific systems.
Turkish Air force, Izmir, Turkey, Software Development, 1979 - 1981
- The SYNTHIA software program implementing methods for predicting polymer properties commercialized globally by Dow Chemical through a licensing arrangement.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Physical Society
- American Chemical Society
- Materials Research Society
Publications and Patents
- Technical writing and editing, authorship of two books (on polymer properties and computational modeling), editing of conference proceedings volume on amorphous materials.
- Editorial Board of three scientific journals on polymeric materials.
- Editorial Advisor in materials science and engineering to a major technical publisher.
- Technical writing at Dow Chemical included many successful proposals for the funding of work at CR&D by various product departments.
- Author of additional subjects in biomaterials, polyhdroxyalkanoates, oleochemicals, and poly, (lactic acid) creating over 170 internal reports at Dow Chemical.
- More than 60 scientific publications over a vast range of materials science and technology.
- Patent applications (pending) on polyurethanes containing reinforcing fillers.
- Ph.D. Physics, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- M.S. Chemistry, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- B.A. Chemistry, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL