- Heterogeneous catalyst research and development manufacture and global sales.
- Catalyst and petrochemical process research, development, global licensing and technology transfer.
- Catalyst and process technologies for ethylene oxide, ethylene glycol, ethylene and propylene glycol ethers, ethanolamines, propylene oxide, styrene, methyl methacrylate, ethoxylates, polyether polyols, oxo chemicals, ethyleneamines, maleic anhydride, 1,4-butanediol, hydrogen peroxide, acetic acid, acetic anhydride, formic acid, formaldehyde, nitric acid, methanol, on-purpose propylene, Fischer-Tropsch, chemicals, plastics and fuels from biomass, process intensification and microreactor technology.
- Commercialization of new catalyst and process technologies.
- Economic evaluations and modeling of process technologies.
- Product portfolio and business analysis and evaluation; research and development management.
- Due diligence support for technology and business acquisitions and divestitures.
- Competitive analysis.
- Strategic planning.
Expert Witness Experience
- Expert witness experience and litigation support, particular to catalysts and process technologies utilizing catalysts.
- Patent and Intellectual property portfolio and infringement analysis.
Undisclosed Company, President and Principal, 2001 - Present
- A technology and general management consulting practice, including advising on all stages from conception to commercialization of catalytic process technologies and catalysts.
- Expert witness and litigation support, including depositions, and testimony before Federal Court in Southern District of New York.
- Investigation of the cause and recommended remedy for poor performing catalytic reactors for a major petrochemical product for a group of international underwriters.client.
- Consultant to developers of novel catalytic reactor concepts, evaluation of potential benefits and advice on future research and development.
- Consultant to developers of novel catalysts, including evaluation of potential benefits and advice on future research and development.
- Consultant to developers of processes to produce chemicals, fuels and plastics from biomass, including evaluation of potential benefits and economic comparisons to conventional petrochemical processes.
- Analysis of potential novel catalyst, process or reactor design developments and related business plans by small companies for various venture companies and other potential investors.
- Evaluation of proposed research and development projects, program auditing and assessment of technology readiness for commercialization for various petrochemical and catalyst companies as well as the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).
- Merit reviewer for a number of industry areas within the DOE ITP Program, including chemicals, forest products, fuels, and materials for separations.
- Market studies and technical reports, and economic models, for a developer of biomass-based chemical production processes.
- Technical support for expert witnesses to several forensic consulting organizations; and expert witness for a major chemical company, involving a supply contract dispute with a second major chemical company.
Scientific Design Company, Inc., President and CEO, 1988 - 2000
- Full profit and loss responsibility, reporting to the Managing Director of Linde Engineering, Contracting Division of Linde AG.
- Licensing process technologies to the international chemical industries and furnishing catalysts for use in those technologies.
- Lead the company's acquisition efforts.
Chem Systems, Inc., Director, Process Evaluation/Research Planning, White Plains, NY 1987 - 1988
- Profit and loss responsibility for and technical oversight of this large multiclient service.
- Arranged and chaired three international technical seminars per year.
Halcon Scientific Design Group, Inc., Montvale, NJ, and New York, 1960 - 1987
President, 1985 - 1987
- Responsible for leadership and profit and loss for this 600-person, diversified subsidiary of Texas Eastern.
- Reduction of operating losses, re-organization of the group, relocation of the group to New Jersey, refocusing research objectives and improving research and development productivity.
Vice President, Technology, 1980 - 1985
- Responsible for overseeing the development of new technologies included those needed to support the parent Texas Eastern Corporation after its acquisition of Halcon SD.
- Direct oxidation of hydrogen to hydrogen peroxide, non-noble metal carbonylation of methanol to acetic acid, destruction of PCBs and hydrogenation of maleic anhydride to 1-4, butanediol.
Vice President, Development, 1977 - 1980
- Supervised the development of catalyst technologies and acted as the technical liaison with Arco Chemical and Oxirane in the startup of a plant utilizing novel Halcon acetoxylation technology to produce ethylene glycol from ethylene and oxygen.
Catalyst Development Corporation, VP and General Manager, 1975 - 1977
- Full profit and loss responsibility for the catalyst research and development manufacturing and sales subsidiary of Halcon SD.
- Catalysts included SynDox ethylene oxide catalyst, SynDan maleic anhydride ex benzene catalyst, SynDane maleic anhydride ex n-butane catalyst, SynDol alcohol dehydration catalyst and sale of several third party catalysts.
Development Department, 1960 - 1975
- Holding several technical positions, including responsibility for the development function in support of the novel acetoxylation technology for ethylene glycol from ethylene.
- Responsible for setting the design basis for new plants utilizing SD's newly commercialized oxygen-based EO process and revamps of client's air-based process plants to oxygen.
- Overseeing the ethylene oxide catalyst and process research and development efforts, including managing the testing and commercialization of new generations of EO catalysts, and led the development and commercialization of SD's oxygen-based process.
Honors & Publications
Academic and professional Affiliations
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Management Division Award
- AIChE Management Conferences
- Co-chair of Conference Advisory Committee
- Chair of Conference Advisory Committee
- Member of Advisory Committees for previous conferences
- President of Association of Consulting & Chemical Engineers
Publications and Patents
- Numerous publications and three patents.
- D.Eng, Sci. Chemical Engineering, School of Engineering, Columbia University, New York, NY
- M.S. Business Policy, School of Business, Columbia University, New York, NY
- M.S. Chemical Eng. (Monsanto Fellow), School of Engineering, Columbia University, New York, NY
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, School of Engineering, Columbia University, New York, NY