Polymer and Rubber Polymerization and Processing Expert
Technical Consultant #955
- Nylon polymer polymerization and extrusion compounding.
- Polyester polymerization and extrusion compounding and solid phase polymerization.
- Acrylic polymerization and extrusion.
- Ethylene copolymers polymerization and extrusion.
- Rubber polymerization and extrusion.
- Bulk plastic material handling, solids flow and pneumatic conveying.
- Packaging and filling systems for plastics.
- Plant safety analyses, including bulk storage and conveying of plastic resin.
- Recycling of plastics, industrial waste and consumer waste.
- Product development of plastics.
- Plastics plant design, construction and startup (built 6; moved 2).
- Plant cost reduction and operations optimization.
Independent Consultant, 2009 - Present
- Clients Include ADM, Metabolix, DuPont, Davis Standard, Barnet Polymers and Gala Industries.
- Built, dismantled, enlarged, relocated plants in USA, Holland, India, Hungary (all DuPont experience.)
- Specialist in plastics extrusion and compounding.
- Product and process development in plastics
- Developed a new trade marked plastic product using recycled materials.
- Business analysis, market studies, manufacturing cost analysis, process optimization and cost and savings.
- Computer modeling of polymer manufacturing operation.
- Capital project design, estimation and management.
- Chemical and plastics process optimizations.
- Scope of work preparation for capital projects.
- Training operations crews for start up and operations.
Safety Resources, Senior Consultant, 2000 - Present
- Safety programs marketing.
- Safety surveys and training; visiting companies to improve their safety performance.
- Safety improvement and process hazard survey consultation.
- Presentations given for the most common safety issues in factories, accident prevention, identifying hazards, reducing medical treatment costs and downtime.
- Conducting safety consultation in Russia and the United States.
E. I. Du Pont de Nemours and Company, Wilmington, DE, 1967 - 1999
Senior Technology Associate, Packaging and Industrial Polymers, 1993 - 1999
- Oversaw the site selection and relocation of the Elvanol® polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) storage facility from Greenville to Laurens, SC.
- Led the front-end loading of Elvanol® powder handling and packaging at Greenville, SC, and LaPorte, TX.
- Headed the team defining the projects needed to optimize the packaging and bulk handling system at Sabine River, Works, Orange, TX; led the front-end loading for new packaging line.
- Consulted on a team that reduced the bottleneck at the Keldax® facility at M.A. Hanna in Dyersburg, TN, and increased its capacity from 250 million to 320 million pounds a year.
- Worked as EVA project team leader with a full-service design contractor to design and estimate the cost ($6 million) of a system for adding Bynel® compounding capacity at the plant in Dordrecht, Netherlands.
Senior Technology Associate, Fabricated Products Department, 1983 - 1993
- Headed the team that estimated the investment needed to construct a nylon recycling plant in Bayswater, Australia; designed the plant.
- Oversaw the manufacturing of Alcryn® rubber for a contract compounder at a plant in Carpentersville, IL.
- Led the front-end loading for the expansion of a film warehouse in LeTrait, France.
- Directed the team that selected the site and designed the NDDB/DuPont plant in Ahmedabad, India, for producing extrusion blown film for low-density polyethylene.
Senior Engineer, Fabricated Products Department, 1979 - 1981
- Supervised the team that designed and constructed the Howell Recycle Center in Howell, MI, for recycling PET beverage bottles.
- Led the team that developed a process for recycling PET beverage bottles; designed and constructed the Grifton Recycle Ctr. in Grifton, NC, using this process.
Senior Engineer, Engineering Polymers, Washington Works, Parkersburg, WVA, 1975 - 1979
- Directed a $5 million project optimizing the acrylics process.
- Led the team that optimized the Lucite® and Elvacite® manufacturing processes for cost, capacity, and quality, included several successful projects for bulk handling and compounding.
Division Engineer, Engineering Polymers, 1967 - 1970
- Headed the start-up and expansions of DuPont's first plastics compounding division in Parkersburg, WVA.
- Directed the team that developed and commercialized the manufacturing process for the original family of glass-reinforced Zytel® nylon products at the plant at Wapakoneta, OH.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Society of Plastics Engineers
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- DuPont Executive Committee Award
- EIT Certificate in West Virginia
- B. S. Chemical Engineering, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH