- Household Chemicals
- Industrial Chemicals
- Heavy Metals
- Toxic Substances
- Hazardous Materials
- Hazardous Wastes
- Lead-Based Paints
- Aerosol Materials and Products
- Contact Dermatological Problems
- Airborne Contaminants
- Inhalation of Chemicals
- Chemical Specialty Products
- Sick Building Syndrome
- Adhesives and Sealants
- Resins, Polymers and Plastics Involving Chemicals
- Products Liability
Expert Witness Experience
- Expert witness and consulting services for: Household chemicals, industrial chemicals, hazardous materials, paint and coatings, aerosols, adhesives, labels and warnings.
- Types of cases processed for attorneys and insurance clients: Product liability, premises liability, toxic tort, slip and fall, patent litigation, trade secret litigation, product failure analysis and accident reconstruction.
- Services provided: Review of case files, research, on site evaluation related to accidents and incidents, collection of samples, laboratory testing or analysis of samples, written and oral reports, deposition and testimony at trial.
Independent Consultant, 1994 - Present
- Provide support through all stages of their litigation or preparation for litigation.
- Support, advice and consulting for chemicals and products that contain chemicals.
- Legal case files review.
- On site field visits to investigate accidents or incidents.
- Testing and analysis of products and chemicals.
- Author technical reports of preliminary findings.
- Prepare attorneys for taking depositions of other witnesses and experts.
- Provide strategic direction based on past experience.
Undisclosed Company, Technical Director, 1997 - Present
- Chief technical officer, responsible for new product development, product improvements, quality assurance, technical services, process engineering.
PRA Laboratories, (Eastern Michigan University), Executive Director, 1995 - 1997
- Full profit and loss responsibility and operational management of a consortium of 26 paint, coatings and allied supplier companies.
- Provide group and individual product research and development and testing in the areas of industrial coatings, trade sales paints, emulsion polymers, solvent-based resins and analytical services.
- Staff member at Eastern Michigan University.
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, Consultant, 1994 - 1995
- Private contractor for Northwester's Basic Industrial Research Laboratory, for PRA Laboratories, and for several small coatings and chemical specialty companies.
- Consulting and product development services.
Rust-Oleum Corporation, Vernon Hills, IL, 1976 - 1994
Technical Director, 1985 - 1994
- Provide strategic research and development planning for corporate goals in the paint and coating industry.
- Provide for new product development needs and product maintenance and manufacturing support.
- Direct a team of 20-40 professional chemists and technicians toward the goals established by the consumer business and industrial maintenance business groups.
- Provide for corporate quality assurance and process engineering services, and managed technical service and package engineering functions.
Manager - Manufacturing Technical Support, 1982 - 1985
- Provided for the management of quality assurance, process engineering, facility engineering and standard product maintenance for over 700 sku's of industrial and consumer paint products.
- Managed a staff of 20 chemists and technicians and engineers.
Manager - Coatings Research and Development, 1978 - 1982
- Managed specific new product development projects as requested by industrial or consumer business groups. Supervised a staff of five formulation chemists.
Group Leader - Resin Development, 1976 - 1978
- Supervised staff of three resin chemists in synthesis of new and improved resins for in-house use.
- Designed and built new resin manufacturing facility.
Continental Can Company, Senior Research Scientist, 1971 - 1976
- Developed and manufactured new polymers used for ultraviolet curable inks and coatings.
- Developed processing techniques for UV-curable coatings in the metal decorating field.
- Synthesized additives and polymers for use in formulating interior and exterior can coatings.
Honors & Publications
- Specialized training: Crosby Quality Training, Executive Effectiveness Training, Focused Interviewing Techniques, Management by Objectives, Problem-Solving, Finance for the Non-Financial Executive.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- National Paint and Coatings Association
- Federation of Societies of Coatings Technology
- American Chemical Society
- American Society of Quality Control
- National Association of Corrosion Engineers
- Steel Structures Painting Council
- Society for Protective Coatings
- International Aerosol Congress
- Spray Paint Committee of NPCA
- Adhesives and Sealant Council
- Wallpaper Association
Publications and Patents
- Publications: Abstracts, lectures and text books.
- 4 U.S. Patents
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Loyola University
- M.S. Organic Chemistry, University of Minnesota
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Illinois