Medical device consulting focused on materials and biocompatibility
- Biopolymers and biomaterials development and fabrication
- Synthetic body parts
- Biomedical engineering
- Artificial limbs
- Orthopedic implants
- Artificial organs
- Elastomers for biological applications
Synthetic body parts consultant: Biomedical product development and biomaterials consulting.
Senior Scientist, Director of R&D, Director of Polymer Laboratory, AcroMed Corp
- Conducted and directed research, development and commercialization of polymer, polymer/carbon fiber composite and elastomer based spinal orthopedics products.
- Primary products developed included AcroFlex artificial spinal disc, Brantigan inter vertebral body spine fusion cages (lumbar, cervical, posterior, anterior, and stackable), and Steffee inter vertebral spine fusion ramps.
- Designed for clinical implant composite cranioplasty plate, wrist wedges, intermedulary nail, ankle stabilization spools, and artificial vertebral bodies.
Associate Professor, University of Akron, Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, Director of Cardiovascular Lab, Institute for Biomedical Engineering. Research.
- Conducted research on accelerated rubber fatigue testing of rubber, blood-materials interactions, permeability of elastomers, hemodynamics of artificial hearts, heart preservation techniques; synthesis & production of artificial heart rubber components.
- Taught graduate engineering courses in Biomaterials, Bio-compatibility, and Artificial Organs. Implementation of GMP procedures, disk prosthesis, composite prototypes.
Engineering, Director of Cardiovascular Lab, Institute for Biomedical Engineering Research
Contract Manager, Senior Research Chemist, Monsanto Corp.,
Honors & Publications
- 89 publications, chapters, patents and theses.
- M. S., Ph.D., Macromolecular Science, Case Western Reserve University
- B.M.E., Material Science, General Motors Institute of Technology