- 30 years of plastics testing and consulting businesses with continuing Asian technical and business contacts.
- In-depth technical and operations knowledge of plastics processing and compounding.
- Formulations expert in polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), polybutylene terephthalate (PBT), nylon, polycarbonate (PC) and alloys, acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) and other engineering resins.
- Process design and experience in single screw, twin screw and FMC compounding.
- Expert in process and light stabilization of polyolefins.
- Underwriters Laboratories (UL) plastics flammability testing facilities and analysis.
- Technical positions in several major plastics companies, including Union Carbide, Arco Chemical, Ferro Corporation and ShinKong Synthetic Fibers Corporation.
- Significant Far East technical and marketing experience.
- Excellent leadership and management skills.
- Proven technical track record including improved sales for clients.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Research Scientist, 2011 - Present
- Manage and coordinate the technical aspects of the company's DOE grant project in CO2 foaming of polymers for efficient thermal insulation systems.
- Arrange compounding trials at vendor locations discovers partners to conduct foaming trials, consult vendors to order raw materials.
- Organize company initiatives in testing of polymers and plastics.
- Attend major industry trade conferences to promote company products and services.
Undisclosed Company, Consulting Director, 2009 - Present
- Created and founded consulting company specializing in plastics for oversees global customer projects.
- Meeting with multinational customers as needed, and creates/delivers solutions based on sales and technical needs; developing research and preparing reports.
- Manage financial initiatives and accounts payable/receivable.
- Create marketing presentations to deliver at trade shows, customer locations, and major industry conferences.
- Manages key projects and prepares comprehensive client reports.
- Assist clients to understand the plastics industry as an educator with the Gerson Lehrman Councils.
Plastic Science LLC, Smyrna, DE, Managing Director, 1999 - 2008
- Founded and built company from the ground up. Directed business initiatives, budgets totaling $1million, cash flow, vendor/employee payments, and $400 thousand in P&L/growth.
- Established pricing and objectives. Devised company policies, procedures, and strategies.
- Developed new business channels and followed up with customers to promote satisfaction.
- Applied for, developed, and negotiated contracts.
- Coordinated trade show exhibitions and developing/managing marketing campaigns.
- Ensured regulatory and ISO 17025-2005 laboratory compliance.
- Secured additional capital/credit to facilitate company growth.
- Recruited personnel, managed disciplinary issues, and trained employees in plastics/polymers and testing processes.
- Oversaw employee human resources activities, including payroll, time cards, and time off.
- Identified and procures cost-effective equipment, monitored pending testing requests, and analyzed/approved testing results. Managed key projects and prepared comprehensive client reports.
- Increased revenues through leveraging testing and consulting services, which enabled project pricing to range from $50,000 to $100,000.
- Established PlastiScience as a UL Testing site for flammability and RTI testing under the CWTDP.
- Secured a multiyear exclusive contract with ASTM for molding samples under the flammability proficiency test program.
Derritech Consultants International, 1993 - 2006
- As Consulting Director, worked on site in, Hong Kong, Taipei, Taiwan and Smyrna, DE.
- Created and founded consulting company originating in Asia.
- Oversaw global customer projects, met with multinational vendors and customers as needed, and created/delivered solutions based on sales/technical needs; developed research and prepared reports.
- Managed financial initiatives and accounts payable/receivable.
- Created marketing presentations to deliver at trade shows, customer locations, and major industry conferences.
- Consulted a client on a $27 million Kuwait investment by researching and supporting the development of a global sales and operations, technical, and marketing business report; investor proceeded with the projects based on provided recommendations.
- Successfully drove sales for North American multinational clients, including Dow Chemical, Eagle-Picher and Specialty Minerals, etc.
- Provided effective technical service and sales consulting for Fortune 50 chemical companies in engineering plastics formulations, and chemical additives for plastics formulations.
Bay Resins, Inc., Vice President Technology, 1994 - 1996
- Directed Research and New Product Development departments for compounding company, featuring nylon 6 and 6,6 compounds and also blends.
- Managed 20 employees, including quality assurance laboratory, color laboratory, and new product research and development.
- Successfully managed technical, marketing and sales cross-functional teams to introduce new products and maintain current line.
- Emphasis was on automotive sector; significant interaction with engineering.
Shinkong Synthetic Fibers Corporation, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China, 1990 - 1993
- Plastics Division, Marketing Development, Manager
- Marketing and technical development of filled and reinforced PP.
- Expanded PP business by times.
- Developed markets for lawn furniture, appliances, flexible TPO, and flame retardant (UL) for electrical and electronics.
Ferro Corporation, Filled and Reinforced Plastics Division, Technical Director, 1986 - 1990
- Organized and managed a research and development department staff expansion to 23, including product development, pilot plant and color lab.
- Responsible for technical budget of $1 million.
- Achieved product expansion for new chemistry for fiber glass coupling, high gloss mineral fillers, and filler master batch technology.
Alloy Polymers, Inc., Technical Manager, 1985 - 1986
- Reporting to President, managed all technical functions of this toll compounding company, including QA, product and process development, and customer process trials.
- Assisted in planning and installation of 2 ZSK-90 and 1 ZSK-53 twin screw compounding lines. Skilled at process design for compounding of engineering plastics, including nylon 6 and 66, SAN, styrene and EPR alloys, PET, PBT, phenoxy, PC and liquid crystal polymers.
- Created screw designs for each job.
Ciba-Geigy Corporation, Group Leader, Polyolefin Additives, 1984 - 1985
- Project planning for technical service and new applications development of Irganox® antioxidants, Tinuvin® and Chimassob® line of light stabilizers.
- Expert in process and light stabilization of polyolefins.
Arco Chemical Company, Senior Research Scientist, 1979 - 1984
- Product and applications development for PP compounds, including new random copolymers, developing lab tests for QA, formulations for medical packaging, and paintable TPO bumper formulations.
- PE wire and cable applications, especially for foamable HDPE, black jacketing LDPE and LLDPE compounds.
- Significant customer and sales interface experience were developed.
Union Carbide Corporation, Project Scientist, 1974 - 1979
- PE wire and cable applications, including semi-conductive copolymers, cross-linking of PE, EVA and EEA copolymers.
- Studied thermal degradation kinetics of PE, and environmental stress cracking of PE copolymers.
U. S. Army, Bien Hoa, Republic of Vietnam
- Specialist 5, Finance Specialist - Promoted 5 pay grades in 19 months of active duty, was records Team Chief, Officers Finance Records, 1st Cavalry Division.
- Secured a Government Services Administration (GSA) Federal Supply Multi-Schedule Contract; PlastiScience was the only GSA contractor offering plastics and polymer testing services.
- Obtained Underwriters Laboratories (UL) flammability testing status for an external lab to improve testing services. Increased growth by 25% through instituting enhanced testing processes, including Relative Thermal Index (RTI) testing.
- For Dow Chemical saved $1 million in research costs for two projects by decreasing development time and efficiently utilizing expertise.
- Captured $500 thousand in consulting contracts over a three-year period through aggressively negotiating with clients.
- Fueled sales growth by 100% in two years by revamping and improving processes to enhance PBT product line quality and compete with world class GE Plastics Products.
- Increased production capacity by 200% through recommending and successfully managing the implementation of key quality improvements.
- Improved efficiency and reduced product development time by 30-40% through effectively training personnel.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society, Rubber Division, Polymer Chemistry Division, Plastics Division
- Society of Plastics Engineers, Electrical and Electronics Division and Polymer Modifiers and Additives Division
- Kiwanis Club of Newburgh, IN
- Solid Waste Subcommittee, Evansville Chamber of Commerce Environmental Planning
- Won two Ferro New Product Development awards (Product line: PP compounds of minerals and fiberglass, and managing the development in Nylon 6 and PC).
- Ph.D. Polymer Science, University of Akron, OH
- B.A. Chemistry, Earlham College, Richmond, IN