- Synthesis and processing of novel ceramic materials for superior properties and performances.
- Surface and colloidal science of ceramic particles and sol-gel processing and applications, often using external forces such as radiation or magnetic/electric fields to obtain novel structure and properties.
- Surface and interfacial phenomena of materials including dispersion of colloidal particles, adsorption/desorption isotherms, steric stabilization of ceramic particles and self-assembly of nanostructure.
- Surface modification of inorganic materials to control such properties as optical, electrical, mechanical (abrasion) and chemical resistance.
- Ceramic nanoparticle synthesis and investigation of surface charge, particle characteristics, solubility, rheology, polymer adsorption, and surface species.
- Chemical synthesis of novel material at low temperatures.
- Fabrication and processing of electronic and optical/photonic materials, e.g., ultra high dielectric constant materials, inorganic/organic hybrid materials, electro-optical coatings and films, synthesis of novel inorganic polymers, and electrochemical methods for inorganic coatings, conjugate materials, luminescence and conducting ceramics.
- Research on novel and practical methods for depositing thick films or thin tapes for electronic applications.
Professor, School of Materials Science and Engineering, 1986 to Present
- Teaches courses in Materials Science, Surface and Colloid Science, Ceramic Processing, and performs graduate research.
- Participating faculty member in, Center for Advanced Engineering Fibers and Composites, and Materials Science and Engineering Program.
- Research in inorganic ceramic materials, nano materials, nano fabrication, composite material systems, gels, colloids, surfaces and carbon fibers.
Fullbright Visiting Professor of Materials Science, Norwegian Institute of Technology, Trondheim, Norway 1989
- Conducted research on synthesis and sintering of aluminum nitride.
- Production of ultra low density transparent aerogels.
- Lectured a senior course in Solid State Chemistry, Chapters on Electronic Properties of Materials.
Graduate Research Assistant 1982-1986
- Ceramic processing: Polymer binders and adsorption of the polymer onto ceramic particulates; surface chemistry of aluminas; sol-gel processing of ceramic/glass materials; silicon polymer syntheses; modifications of silicon polymers; oxidation studies of silicon carbides; and, high temperature ceramic composite syntheses and testing.
Analytical Chemist, Biospherics Incorporated, Rockville, MD. 1970 -1977
- Performed physical, chemical and biological analysis of environmental pollutants.
Honors & Publications
- More than 80 professional papers and many issued patents.
- B.A. Chemistry, Southern College, Collegedale, TN
- M.A. Chemistry, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI
- M.Eng. Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Ph. D. Material Science and Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL