Specialty Chemicals & Pharmaceutical Supply Chain-Change Agent, Regulatory, EPA, OSHA-PSM and Global Manufacturing Expert
Technical Consultant #2542
- Pharmaceutical and specialty chemical operations with 20 years’ in supply chain Leadership for large facilities, providing technical solutions in challenging environments in union and non-union members.
- Manufacturing and operations professional, action-oriented, building effective teams and delivering positive results with unlimited drive for continuous improvement in fast paced, global businesses.
- Change agent and transformative leader in global manufacturing footprints leading to increased efficiency and throughput.
- Extensive experience working with OSHA PSM. (Process Safety Management) standard and other highly regulated processes.
- Recruited and developed strong talent within organizations through effective mentoring and coaching.
- Effective leader in matrix organizations with ability to influence beyond natural span of control.
- Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing.· Environmental and Safety Leadership.
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) (21 CFR 210-211).
- MRP (Material Requirements Planning) Operations Management Systems (JDE, SAP).
- Developing and maintaining ISO certification.
Independent Consulting Expert, Present
Undisclosed Company, Plant Manager, 2011 - 2020
- Improved all aspects of supply chain operations in the flagship manufacturing site. Directly accountable for plant operations and supply chain in support of an $800 million global business of 1200 employees.
- Saved $12 million in annual expenditures by leading plant cultural change initiatives and developing organizational capabilities resulting in consolidation of manufacturing operations into St. Louis Plant.
- Managed operating budget of $60 million and CapEx spending budget commiserate with needs of business growth.
- Established strategic road map to improve operation effectiveness by improving plant performance in safety, process reliability and process control systems.
- Built successful bench by hiring diverse, high potential employees to meet succession planning needs.
- Mitigated process safety issues by creating systems to control combustible dust hazards.
- Developed process controls and procedures for OSHA PSM (Process Safety Management) operations and compliance.
- Partnered with union leaders to improve safety performance through increased accountability and systems (no OSHA recordable injuries for 3 years).
- Developed project scope and implemented $8 million plant expansion to support business growth and enable 30% reduction in operating costs.
- Worked cross functionally with other global plants and teams to deliver business results.
- Improved quality performance and reduced cost of quality by developing and maintaining ISO certification.
Pilot Chemical, Middletown, OH, Plant Manager, 2011
- Directed supply chain and plant operations in a privately-owned global company, manufacturing detergent additives utilizing core technologies of sulfonation, sulfation, alkylation, distillation and custom blending.
Solutia, St. Louis, MO, Plant Manager, 2010 - 2011
- Directed Supply Chain in 150 person unionized plant in support of a $2 billion global specialty chemicals and performance materials company.
- Manufactured rubber, oil additives, and water purification chemicals. Annual operating budget of $130 million and $7 million in capital spending.
Mallinckrodt, Inc. (Tyco Healthcare), St. Louis, MO, Phillipsburg, NJ, Plant Manager, 1990 - 2010
- Handled all facets of supply chain in 350 person unionized plant supporting $450 million global specialty chemical business.
- Manufacturing, packaging and distribution of bulk pharmaceuticals, high purity solvents, acids, blends.
- Led Plant transformation requiring cultural change and development of organizational capabilities.
- Oversaw $100 million annual operating budget and $8 million capital budget.
- Project Manager for $25 million project to reduce HAP emissions and comply with federal clean-air regulations.
- Partnered with global sales, marketing business leaders to align plant production with customer needs.
- Addressed plant diversity issues and succession planning through effective coaching and recruiting.
- Resolved FDA regulatory compliance issues so that bulk pharmaceutical customers’ needs could be met long-term; collaborated with business leaders and customers to develop and implement strategic plans.
- Negotiated successive union contracts over 7 years exceeding financial expectations and delivering ratified contracts.
- Improved Plant’s safety performance through collaboration with union employees and leadership team on implementation of behavioral based safety systems. TRR (Total Task Reduction Ratio) reduced by 70%.
Plant Manager (Paris, KY), 1999 – 2003
- Led 250-employee non-union plant with $90 million annual operating budget; ISO and GMP facility for packaging and distribution of bulk pharmaceuticals and high purity chemicals.
Imaging Business Unit, St, Louis, MO, 1996 -1999
- Accountable for Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) manufacturing, batch and continuous operations for x-ray contrast media.
- Supervised all facets of operation in union environment (UAW) and Project Manager for $23 million process retrofit and expansion delivering a 24% reduction in product cost and 50% more throughput.
Production Supervisor - Imaging Business Unit, 1993 - 1996
Senior Process Engineer - Imaging Business Unit, 1990 - 1993
Phillips 66 Company, Borger, TX, Plant Engineer, 1989 - 1990
AMOCO Performance Products, Marietta, OH, Advanced Production Engineer, 1985 - 1989
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), New York, NY
- American Chemical Society (ACS) | New York, NY
- Alpha Xi Sigma (AXE) | New York, NY
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO