- Electrical engineer specializing in electric machines (induction, permanent magnet brushless, reluctance machines), motors and generators), electromagnetic devices, linear actuators, sensors and electromechanical systems.
- Specific focus to Automotive and transportation: Hybrid Vehicles (HEV), Electric Cars (EV), as well as conventional vehicles, working on traction motors, generators, starter-generators, as well as accessory drives: electric power steering, valve actuation systems, sensors, brakes, and the like.
- Aerospace and renewable energy.
- Worked in research and development, on advanced concepts. Targeting technology roadmapping, intellectual property (IP) and new technology assessment, development, and investigation, as well as due diligence.
- Expert in the use of modeling software for machine design and electromagnetic and magnetic modeling.
- Magnetic analysis.
- Design of electric machines and linear actuators.
- Development of new concepts and products.
- Technology roadmapping and strategizing, discerning new trends.
- Expert witness work and patent development.
- Intellectual property assessment and strategizing.
- Teaching and mentoring in these fields.
EXPERT WITNESS EXPERIENCE
- Warranty dispute between two automotive component manufacturers; (Tier 1 automotive supplier).
- Patent infringement lawsuit in electric motors used in cars; Four Inter Parties review of glow-plug controls for diesel engines cases. Work included writing declarations in support of the patent owner’s preliminary responses. Three of the four cases were instituted. Conducted depositions and retained by the US Patent and Trademarks Office.
- For a case heard in United States District Court for the District of Columbia. Wrote expert reports, deposed, wrote supplemental reports and testified. The technology at issue was electric motor controls for machine.
Undisclosed Company, Owner and President, 2014 - Present
- Perform technology roadmapping and investigation in electro-mechanical and electric drive systems, particularly for transportation applications, as well as electric machine design, electromagnetic analysis,actuator development and automotive electrification.
- Provides vast expertise to facilitate the advancement of electrical technology, with focus to both, technology development and patent services.
- Tending clients in the automotive, aerospace and renewable fields for systems including fast acting linear actuators for DC circuit breakers, induction and permanent magnet machines, and hydro-power: General Motors, Delco-Remy / Borg-Warner, Eaton, ESI, DOE-funded projects with North Carolina State University and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Neapco, Chore-Time, etc.
- This firm’s particular strength is new technology development, assessment, and investigation, as well as intellectual property preparation and defense. It can “team” with client’s technology roadmapping and strategizing in the application of electric energy conversion, particularly in the transportation field, and the integration of electric and mechanical systems.
IEEE Transportation Electrification Community, National Chairman, 2019 - 2020
- For the the largest engineering organization in the world (2-year term). The IEEE Transportation Electrification Community, responsible within IEEE for coordinating work (conference, publications, standards, etc) in the field of transportation across the over 40 IEEE societies and other entities.
Eaton, Milwaukee, WI Principal Engineer, Corporate Research & Technology, 2010 - 2014
- In charge of developing a multi-disciplinary research program in the vehicular, transportation, and automotive fields.
- Led projects on the hybridization of commercial vehicles, as well as industrial drives.
IEEE Industry Applications Society, National President, 2011 - 2012
- For this engineering organization (world’s largest, and a 2-year term) The Industry Applications Society is one of over 40 technical societies within IEEE, each with a particular focus (electrical drives and industrial processes and applications, in this case).
- The society has about 12,000 members worldwide, with a budget (at the time) of about $3.5 million.
Delphi Powertrain, Auburn Hills, MI, Electromechanical Group, 2006 - 2009
Advanced Engineering Manager
- Oversaw advanced electromechanical technology development for engines, for the fuel injector, valvetrain, and sensors business units of Delphi Powertrain.
- Led a group of engineers and technicians that developed fuel systems, sensors, and novel electromechanical valvetrain systems (cam phasers and continuously variable).
Delphi Research Laboratories, Shelby Township, MI, Senior Staff Research Engineer, 1999 - 2006
General Motors Research Laboratories, Warren MI, Senior Staff Research Engineer, 1984 - 1999
Staff Research Engineer, 1987 - 1998
Senior Research Engineer, 1984 - 1987
- Managed, developed and implemented a variety of automotive advanced engineering projects, many of which have resulted in patents and award-winning publications and are used in massproduction for this spin-off entity of GM.
- Responsible for the development, analysis, design and experimental evaluation of new electrical systems and components for automotive applications.
- Key technical areas: Automotive electric systems, electric machines and drives, sensors, system design and control.
- Projects: Valvetrain systems, electric cam phasers, electromagnetic engine-valve actuation system; Starter-generator and mild hybrid systems; Electric brake and power-steering systems for x by wire; Fault tolerant systems; Fault diagnostics in drives; Force and pressure sensors, angular and linear position sensors.
Ecole Supérieure d'Electricité, Paris, France, Research Engineer, 1979 - 1981
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Chair, IEEE Transportation Electrification Community
- Chair, IEEE Transportation Technologies Award Committee
- Steering committee member, IEEE Transportation Electrification Community(Long Range Planning Committee chair
- President, IEEE Industry Applications Society
- Executive Board member, IEEE Industry Applications Society
- Co-chair, International Transportation Electrification Conference
- President-elect, IEEE Industry Applications Society
- Chair, Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting
- Vice-president, IEEE Industry Applications Society
- Treasurer, IEEE Industry Applications Society
- Chairman, Electric Machines Committee of the IEEE Industry Application Society
- Chairman, Review Committee for IEEE Fellow candidates, IEEE-Industry Application Society
- Paper review chair, Electric Machines Committee of IEEE-IAS
- Paper reviewer, Industrial Drives Committee of IEEE-IAS
- Member and paper reviewer, IEEE Power Electronics Society
- Paper reviewer, Society of Automotive Engineers
- IEEE, SAE and PACE awards
- IEEE Nikola Tesla Award, Citation “For contributions to the design and analysis of actuators, sensors, and motors for automotive applications
- Fellow, IEEE, Citation: "For contributions to the development of electromechanical actuators for automotive applications
- IEEE Industry Applications Society, Industrial Power Conversion Systems Department Gerald Kliman Innovator Award
- IEEE Industry Applications Society, Second Prize Transactions Paper Award
- IEEE Industry Applications Society, Electric Machines Committee, Best Paper Awards: 6 awards
Society of Automotive
- SAE Vincent Bendix Automotive Electronics Engineering Award
- SAE Arch T. Colwell Award
- Excellence in Oral Presentation
- PACE Award, finalist, Part of Delphi’s Rotary Position Sensor team.
Delphi and General Motors Awards
- Boss Kettering Award, (3)
- Inducted into the Delphi Hall of Fame, Platinum level
- McCuen Award, (2)
- Campbell Award
- French: Native
- German: Reading
Publications and Patents
- Author-Co Author of technical papers: refereed journals: 24 papers. SAE: papers, Conference papers (not published in transactions).
- Inventor (assisted by co Authors) of 53 granted, 3 patents allowed but not issued, 17 Defensive Publications, several provisional patent applications.
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, Ecole Supérieure d'Electricité (CentraleSupélec), Paris, France