- Laboratory safety; prudent practices; protective facilities; personal protective equipment; effective safety programs.
- Chemical labeling, storing, and handling; compressed gases; proper ventilation.
- Effective safety programs; emergency preparedness and procedures.
- Best laboratory practices; risk assessment; and hazard recognition.
- Shipment of hazardous materials.
- Awareness and importance of On-The-Job (OTJ) safety and training.
- Conducts seminars, workshops, courses, facilities inspections, program evaluations for schools, colleges, universities, government, medical, and industry.
- Leadership in Safety seminar for senior management or administration.
- Provides advice on facilities design, safety program development, regulatory compliance loss control and risk management, expert witness testimony and editorial review.
- In the areas of hydrocarbon oxidation, dehydrohalogenation, oxydehydrogenation, nitrite reduction, aromatic animation, and thermal and photolytic chlorination.
- Pilot plant scale catalytic hydrogenation of cellulosic wastes to fuel oil analytical development, plant operation, supervision of graduate students and tinder graduates, writing reports, proposals and technical papers.
- Isolation and identification of natural products from fungi culture media.
- The decomposition of substituted diazomethanes.
Undisclosed Company, Founder and President, 1977 - Present
- Conducts seminars, workshops, facilities inspections, program evaluations for schools, colleges, universities, government, medical, and industry.
- Teaches Leadership in Safety seminar for senior management and administration.
- Provides facilities advice on design, safety program development, regulatory compliance loss control and risk management, expert witness testimony and editorial review.
K & A, Natick, MA, President, 1985 - 2015
- Formed this firm in 1985. Provided consulting work for various clients: facilities inspections, audits, and provided facilities advice on design, safety program development, and regulatory compliance loss control and risk management.
Curry College, Milton, MA, Professor of Chemistry, 1977 - 1998
- Taught Introductory Science; General Chemistry; Organic Chemistry; Industrial Chemistry; Organic Reaction Mechanisms; Environmental Chemistry; Chemical Technology; Science Seminar; and Safety, Toxicology, and Industrial Hygiene.
Other Curry College Activities
- Coordinator of Grants Development
- Faculty Advisor, Academic Advising Team
- Athletics Committee, Chairman, Hall of Fame Committee
- Admissions and Retention Committee
- Long Range Planning Committee
- NCAA Faculty Representative
- EHS Coordinator
Dow Chemical Company, New England Research Laboratory, Wayland, MA, 1973 - 1977
Senior Research Chemist
- Conducted research in the areas of hydrocarbon oxidation, dehydrohalogenation, oxydehydrogenation, nitrite reduction, aromatic animation, and thermal and photolytic chlorination.
- Curry College Professor of Chemistry, Associate Professor, Teaching Introductory Science; General Chemistry; Organic Chemistry; Industrial Chemistry; Organic Reaction Mechanisms; Environmental Chemistry; Chemical Technology; Science Seminar; and Safety.
- Toxicology and Industrial Hygiene. Curry College, Instructor, Science Division, General Chemistry.
- Westfield State College, Instructor, Physical Science Department.
- WPI, Professor., Chem. Dept., Organic Chemistry. Coordinator and Lecturer in GC-MS course.
- Tufts University. Certification for secondary school teaching (Chem.)
- President Emeritus/Founder/Clerk of the Board
- President/CEO, Laboratory Safety Institute: An International Non-Profit Educational
- Organization for Safety in Science and Science Education
- Director, Health, Safety and Environmental Affairs, Curry College
- New England Research Laboratory, Chairman Laboratory Safety Crew; Coordinator of Safety for Process Research Group; Revision of Lab safety policies and manual; advisor on shipment of hazardous materials; increased awareness of importance of OTJ safety; expanded and improved the new employee safety orientation; developed and initiated a program to share Dow's safety experience with colleges and universities.
Honors & Publications
- Post-Doctoral Fellow in Chemical Engineering at Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Elected Sigma Xi
- Petroleum Research Fund Fellow
- Elected Phi Lambda Upsilon
- German, conversational
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Chairman, Health and Safety Committee, Northeastern Section, American Chemical Society
- Chairman, Safety and Health Committee, Curry College
- Member, ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety
- Member, ACS Council Committee on Chemical Safety
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA); Science Advisor Committee
- National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT)
- Massachusetts Safety Council (MSC), Board of Directors
- National Science Supervisors Association - NSELA
- Council of State Science Supervisors (CSSS)
- National Association of Science Materials Managers (NAOSMM)
- International Council for Associations of Science Education (ICASE), Chair Committee on Safety in Science Education
- ANSI Z-87.1 Committee
- ACS Division of Chemical Education, Safety Committee
- STEMStates (www.stemstate.org); STEM Safety Committee Chair
- NSTA, Safety Advisory Board
- Curry College person of The Year Award
- Post-Doctoral Fellow (WPI Chem. Eng. Dept.
- Petroleum Research Fund Fellow, Elected Phi Lambda Upsilon
- Curry College Athletic Hall of Fame
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA
- B.S. Chemistry, Tufts University, Medford, MA