Coatings formulation, testing and problem solving: industrial, commercial, consumer products, automotive.
Elastomers, inks, lubricants, adhesives, sealants, civil engineering and cleaning products.
- Coatings technologies: epoxy, polyurethane, acrylic, water-borne, alkyd, solvent-borne, 100% solids, and low VOC.
Chemical reactions; chemical selection from manufacturers and suppliers.
Aerosol product technology, aerosol cans, hardware, propellant and ingredient selection.
Floor safety, flooring and floor care.
Expert Witness Experience
- Slip and fall expert in several cases, providing technical expertise relating to floor safety and reasons for slip/falls.
- Epoxy resin system failed to cure adequately on the job site.
- Bridge cable coating case, investigating product cure and correct application.
Undisclosed Company, Technical Manager, 2014 - Present
Lead Lab Services Initiative.
- Set up new labs with budgets in the multimillion of dollars.
- Led staff to successful project completion with exceeded financial targets.
- Establish profitable lab services business.
- Development of successful new products for clients within the areas of: Water-borne architectural and industrial coatings, high performance water-borne epoxy coatings, epoxy coating for low temperature applications, reduced yellowing epoxy coatings, polyurethane adhesives, polyurethane elastomers and coatings, pressure sensitive adhesives, colorants, coating additives
- Finalized multiple projects for customers with over $13 million of sales opportunity and retained the business of large accounts.
Quest Industrial Products - Sherwin Williams, Menomonee Falls, WI, 2007 - 2014
- Managed technical capability for this manufacturer and custom filler for industrial, consumer and automotive paints, adhesives, coatings, cleaners and lubricants, including aerosols.
- Led new product development and technical service.
- Supported industrial, roof coatings and automotive divisions.
- Integrated acquisitions.
- Developed a cost-effective, high performance alkyd, acrylic, and other coatings, colorant systems, color databases, traffic striping coatings, architectural and industrial coatings, aerosol products, lubricants, cleaners, and specialty products.
- Successfully scaled-up new products in production.
- Led development of new products which grew sales and retained customers.
- Liaised with customers to generate new business.
- Conducted major re-write of ISO9001 procedures; worked with external ISO auditors to allow certification to continue.
- Successfully value-engineered products to save over $180,000 per year.
JohnsonDiversey Inc., Racine, WI, Senior Group Leader, 1994 - 2007
Technical Manager for this worldwide leader in floor coatings, floor care and janitorial supply products with focus to red international technical support and new product demonstration.
Hired, mentored and trained new technical personnel.
- Developed new floor finishes, polymer emulsions, coatings, cleaners, systems for global floor care markets.
Provided international technical support and new product demonstration.
- Floor safety expert.
- Developed major new floor care products with multi-million dollars of sales worldwide.
- Integrated acquisition technology.
- Instrumental in helping to win and retain large accounts.
- Patented new technology; managed those who had patents granted.
- Managed scientists whom received company's top technical award (Technical Merit Award).
Rust-Oleum Corporation, Pleasant Prairie, WI, Group Lead, 1984 - 1994
- Led the research and development high performance product line of this protective coatings company.
- Development of VOC-compliant epoxy, polyurethane, alkyd and acrylic paints for protection of wood, concrete and metal: aerosol, brush and spray applications.
- Research into novel technologies and their feasibility for use in paints.
- Synthesis of alkyd polymers.
- Spear-headed development of high performance, cost-effective, VOC-compliant epoxy maintenance floor coatings and colorants.
- Led development of VOC-compliant aerosol paints.
- Developed additives for epoxy coatings.
- Led development of high performance, cost-effective, VOC-compliant polyurethane coatings.
Fosroc Preco, Plainview, NY, Product Specialist, 1985 - 1989
- Conducted development and technical service of cementitious and epoxy resin flooring, grouting and concrete repair products, sealants, concrete admixtures, sealants and curing compounds.
- Supervising QC personnel; overseeing customer complaints for this manufacturer of chemicals serving the construction industry.
Honors & Publications
Conversation, reading and writing
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Publications Advisory Board for CoatingsTech - monthly technical publication of American Coatings Association
- American Coatings Association - Science & Technology Committee; Spray Paint Committee; American Coatings Conference Sessions-Chair
Publications and Patents
- Author of peer reviewed publications for journals and magazines-subjects:
- Linoleum Floors
- Stone applications
- Slip Testers
- Stone restoration cost
- Paints - Technical Article
- Testing Labs: Product Development - Product Quality
- Inventor of one world and three U.S. patents.
- B.S. Chemistry, (with honors) Nottingham University, University Park, United Kingdom