- Processes for patent asset identification and selection, asset valuation, patent prosecution, and portfolio management in the information technology industries.
- Managing growth of patent portfolio for IT investors and in all stages of patent identification, procurement, and monetization.
- Prior art analysis and assessment.
- Patent drafting - drafted over 100 applications under direction.
- IP strategist - process setup, training and operation.
- GUI design.
- Internet technologies (TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP), HTML, scripting, browsers, and web servers.
- Social media - tagging, text messaging, and presence.
- Online payment systems.
- Power management.
- User communications (e.g. email, instant messaging, video messaging, etc.)
- Computer architecture.
- IP identification and capture maintaining high quality and cost management.
- Inventor training.
- Extensive experience with GUI design, Internet technologies, compiler, linker and loader design, networking (TCP/IP, routers, switches, etc.), operating systems, Web browsers and servers, mobile apps, user communications (e.g. email, instant messaging, video messaging, etc.), distribute computing (e.g. cloud computing), video and image sharing, tagging, power management, and computer architecture.
- Digital computing, data processing equipment and methods.
- Apparatus, circuits and systems, not covered by a single one of groups.
- Arrangements for transferring data.
- Scanning, transmission and reproduction of documents.
- Television systems.
- Data switching networks.
- Interconnection of memories and central processing units.
- Arrangements for programmed control.
Expert Witness Experience
Activities and Services
- Depositions - experience in over ten depositions.
- Desktop and mobile user interfaces
- Electronic payment
- Media streaming and casting
- File security
- Web security
- Media sharing
- Image processing
- USB, serial, and parallel links between devices
- Mobile applications
- Mobile browsing
- Web browsers and Web Servers
Undisclosed Company, Management, 2009 - Present
- Independent inventing resulting in over 100 patents and applications.
- Selected consulting and expert work.
- Supported more than eight (8) patent assertions as an analyst, expert, or inventor.
Scenera Research LLC, Vice President of Research, 2004 - 2009
- Planned, proposed, and established invention laboratory.
- Established, with staff, processes for patent asset identification and selection, asset valuation, patent prosecution, and portfolio management.
- Managed growth of patent portfolio from approximately 50 assets to 350 assets and participated in all stages of patent identification, procurement, and monetization.
- Trained inventors and patent analysts. Oversaw site operations including legal, purchasing, IT, and office facilities.
- Reported to CEO and Managing Members. Served as patent analyst, technology expert, and inventor in numerous patent sales and assertions yielding over $70 million.
Flashpoint Technology Inc., Chief Architect, 1998 - 2004
- Chief Software Architect and Patent Analyst for FlashPoint, whom developed a precursor to Apple's iOS and Google's Android.
- Provided (with Apple holding over 250) licenses patents and applications.
- Managed software architecture and design process for the company.
- Part of a team remaining after downsizing, responsible for generating more than $300 million in licensing revenue by monetizing FlashPoint intellectual property assets.
- Responsibilities included identification of potential licensees, infringement analysis, and patent analysis for patent purchasing and sales.
- Provided technical expertise to outside litigation counsel and FlashPoint licensing team.
IBM Corporation, Designer, Software Designer and Architect, 1984 -1998
- As chief programmer led numerous technical teams (as small as 3 and as large as 50) through requirements analysis, design, coding, and testing.
- Coordinated development activities and provided a focal point for communications with test, documentation, marketing, and usability organizations.
- Held a number of technical staff positions reporting to executive management.
Honors & Publications
- Over 90 issued patents.
- Over 350 patent applications.
- M.S. Mathematics-Computer Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC
- B.A. Religion, Davidson College, Davidson, NC