- Oversee chemical vendor water treatment programs
- Water treatment auditing and testing
- Cooling water applications
- Boiler water applications
- Water treatment problems
- Facilities water management studies and permitting
- Management plans for potable water
- Cooling and heating systems
- Steam generation
- Wastewater treatment
- Water reuse, and wastewater disposal.
- Water treatment and water environmental engineering in conceptual design and regulatory compliance for commercial, industrial, municipal and engineering.
- Water treatment processes and application of specialty chemicals for effective operation of utility systems in commercial, industrial and municipal facilities.
- Sales and field service of specialty chemicals for operation of potable and process water supplies, cooling and heating systems, steam generation and wastewater systems in commercial and industrial facilities.
- Facility surveys of water systems from inlet to outlet, laboratory and pilot scale treatability and water reuse studies. Economic assessments of treatment alternatives, and water management plans to maintain cost effective facility operations, including environmental regulatory compliance. Studies and plans were developed for a wide range of commercial buildings and industrial facilities including chemical, refining, steel, utility, mining, textile, meat processing, food preparation, metal finishing, automotive, and general manufacturing plants of almost all types.
- Specialty water treatment chemical formulations for potable water, cooling and heating systems, air washers, process waters, and steam generation. Marketing and application of these formulations, over 30 different biocide chemistries, and an extensive line of coagulation and flocculation polymers for waste treatment.
Expert Witness Experience
Expert Witness for various cases
- Residential property management.
- Legionella wrongful death.
- Cooling Tower (Consulting work - Legionella outbreak litigation).
- Water Treatment Contract Dispute (a local University).
Undisclosed Company, Principal Consultant, 2006 - Present
- Providing all aspects of water treatment, including external treatment, high pressure boiler water, and cooling water in all industries including; commercial HVAC applications, HRSG, utility and industrial systems.
- Water system performance audits.
- Vendor performance audits vs. specifications.
- Video fiber optic and ultrasound wall thickness inspections.
- Facility water system reliability studies and energy audits.
- Heat exchanger efficiency studies.
- Startup and layup specifications and supervision.
- Inspections of failed equipment.
- Water and deposit sample analysis.
- Analysis and interpretation of log data.
- Root cause analysis.
- Technical literature preparation.
- Complete inorganic and organic analyses; Microbiological analyses.
- Metallurgical inspections and testing.
- Resin and membrane testing.
- Legionella bacteria testing.
- On-site customized operator training.
- Custom training presentations.
- Management training.
- Evaluations of vendor proposals.
- Chemical formulation analysis and specifications.
- Market analysis.
- Product development and formulation.
- Field evaluations of new products.
Eastern Technologies, Inc, Vice President of Marketing and Engineering, 1998 - 2005
- Responsible for developing new ETI partner companies and for maintenance and development of ETI's chemical product lines, literature and support documents.
- Provided ETI distributors and their end-use customers with technical and product application guidance for effective treatment performance and compliance with applicable OSHA and EPA regulations including State NPDES and local POTW permits.
Technical Director, 1989 - 1998
- Management of all water treatment chemical product lines, evaluation of product performance, and preparation of product literature, product technical application documents, and water treatment industry training documents.
- Supervision of compliance with applicable regulatory agency requirements including OSHA, EPA, ANSI/NSF, FDA, USDA, and State pesticide laws.
- Technical assistance to optimize water supply, potable water, commercial/industrial water treatment and waste treatment programs.
- Assistance to end-use customers with water treatment program performance and compliance with applicable OSHA and EPA regulations including State NPDES and local POTW permits.
Scholler Inc., Technical Director, 1982 - 1988
- A manufacturer and supplier of textile processing chemicals and commercial/industrial water treatment specialties and services. As Regional Sales Manager, and later as Vice President, Water Treatment Services, became responsible for sales, technical and business management of the water treatment division.
- Responsible for process engineering and operational consulting on water supply, process and utility waters, waste disposal and process water reuse projects.
- The division became known as Betz Environmental Engineers, and then as BCM Engineers.
- As Regional Sales Manager and later Assistant Vice President, responsible for marketing and managing professional environmental testing and engineering services to industrial clients.
Calgon Corporation, Assistant Project Engineer, 1963 - 1968
- Executed Field Service Engineering for boiler, cooling, and potable water treatment programs, and then an Assistant Project Engineer in their Process and Wastewater Consulting Services Division.
Honors & Publications
- CWT - Certified Water Technologist; Association of Water Technologies.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- NACE International (formerly National Association of Corrosion Engineers), Member since
- American Water Works Association (AWWA), Member
- Association of Water Technologies (AWT), Chair and Co-chair of the Cooling
- Water Technical Committee, recipient of the Ray Baum Memorial Award as Water Technologist of the Year, Member
- American Chemical Society (ACS). Member.
- Cooling Tower Institute (CTI). Member
- ASHRAE, member since
- American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (AATCC). Member, East Cocalico Township Water and Sewer Authority, Former Vice Chairman (12-year Board Member)
- Author of scientific papers for peer reviewed journals and conferences.
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, Philadelphia, PA