- Industrial Hygienist (CIH).
- Certified Safety Professional - air quality evaluations, noise analysis, and safety programs.
- Exposure assessment.
- Analysis of industrial hygiene and exposure data.
- Pharmaceutical exposure control.
- Local exhaust ventilation.
- Indoor air quality.
Undisclosed Company, 2014 - Present
- Principal Industrial Hygienist
Sabre Health & Safety, 2007 - 2014
- President and Principal Consultant
Ethicon, (Johnson & Johnson), 2003 - 2007
- Lead Industrial Hygienist
ALZA, (Johnson & Johnson), 2001 - 2003
- Safety Engineer,
Colorado Springs Utilities, 1998 - 2001
- Safety Administrator
Environmental Health and Engineering, EH&E, 1995 - 1998
- Industrial Hygiene & Engineering Consultant,
Department of Energy-Rocky Flats, 1995
- Hygiene Fellowship
Rhone Poulenc, 1994
- Industrial Hygiene Intern
Industrial Hygiene and Indoor Air Quality
- Conduct and manage industrial hygiene risk assessments and exposure monitoring in a variety of industries including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, hospitals, utilities, textiles, microelectronics, printing, incinerators, laboratories, and construction sites.
- Provide technical expertise and solutions in the areas of safe chemical management, new processes, equipment, product development, indoor air quality, identification of appropriate personal protective equipment, and safety and industrial hygiene standards interpretation.
- Mentored professionals from around the globe on industrial hygiene for a medical device company with 26 worldwide operating locations and over 5,000 employees for four years.
- Oversaw the industrial hygiene program for a cutting tool manufacturer with over 40 locations worldwide for three years, including review of all sampling plans and reports.
- Served as the site Chemical Hygiene, Radiation Safety, Biosafety, and Laser Safety Officer for a research and development facility of four years.
- Conducted hundreds of indoor air quality investigations in both commercial and residential buildings.
- Identified and controlled the source of indoor air quality complaints from a variety of sources including mold, broken sewer pipes, improperly balanced ventilation systems, vapor intrusion, and exhaust re-entrainment.
- Wrote remediation plans and provided oversight of numerous mold remediation projects.
- Prepared expert reports for several indoor air quality cases.
- Designed local exhaust ventilation (LEV) at a chemical manufacturing facility which included dozens of capture points with a variety of challenging geometries.
- Eliminated the need for respiratory protection by reducing exposure to anesthetic gas used in veterinary practice through LEV design, eliminating the need for respiratory protection.
- Designed LEV for a consumer products batch process, reducing exposures by more than a factor of 10.
- Designed LEV for hydrogen fluoride at a plasma oven used for cleaning needles, eliminating imminently hazardous exposures.
- Established a protocol and criteria for testing of all local exhaust and laboratory ventilation at a manufacturing and research and development facility.
- Performed tracer gas, smoke visualization, and face velocity testing on laboratory fume hoods.
- Conduct noise surveys and dosimetry, with data interpretation, in many industries, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, consumer products, incinerators, specialty chemicals, construction, utilities, and food processing.
- Identified and implemented noise reduction strategies at several manufacturing facilities.
- Conducted octave band analysis of noise in several facilities to evaluate noise reduction strategies and speech interference and annoyance characteristics.
- Conducted community noise monitoring to evaluate the impact of heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning equipment on nearby residences.
- Conducted community noise monitoring to evaluate the impact of a large construction project on nearby apartment buildings.
Safety and Emergency Management
- Managed the health and safety program and emergency response team at a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant for two years.
- Managed safety and health concerns for a department where worker's compensation costs were cut in half, saving $200,000 per year.
- Developed comprehensive safety program strategies for several companies by conducting safety management system, safety culture, and safety program assessments.
- Wrote or contributed to best-in-class corporate design standards for laboratories, process safety, confined spaces, and other applications.
- Created safety committee structures at two companies to enhance employee and management involvement.
- Designed a safety audit and inspection program for a medical device company to ensure comprehensive OSHA compliance.
- Served as squad leader for a 60-person chemical spill and first aid response team.
Honors & Publications
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning
- Professional Development; Applying and Implementing Health Hazard and Control Banding Strategies in the Real World. American Industrial Hygiene Conference & Exposition (AIHCE)
- Author-Co-Author of numerous publications.
- Ph.D. Environmental and Occupational Health, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- M.S. Industrial Hygiene, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA