- Rotating equipment engineering; redesigning, upgrading, maintenance, vibration analysis and RCFA on industrial turbo-machinery applications.
- Specific equipment reliability planning; centrifugal, reciprocating and axial compressors, turbines, expanders, cooling tower fans, pumps, motors and diesel engines.
- Crude units, Coker, Furfurals, and PDA.
- Rotating equipment systems troubleshooting.
- Improving Mechanical seal performance.
- FCC PRT Expander.
- Pump and compressor performance analysis.
- Vibration analysis.
- Pump reliability.
- RCFA for pump, compressor, turbine, motor, and expander failures.
- Planning and execution of rotating equipment T/A work.
- Project Engineering.
Independent Consultant, Present
- Providing on-site support, design and systems improvements for the petrochemical industry.
X ITC Innovative Turnaround Controls, Paulsboro, NJ, 2017
Project: Refinery Company Project Engineer
- Assisted in the installation of an 8200 ft. - 24" Natural Gas Pipeline from the Paulsboro Refinery underneath the Delaware River to the Spectra Natural Gas Pipeline near the Philadelphia International Airport.
APC Workforce Solutions ll, LLC, (Zerochaos), Philadelphia, PA, 2016
Project: Philadelphia Energy Solutions, Sr. Rotating Equipment Engineer
Responsible for: Reformer, Hydrogen Plant, HDS, Crude and Vacuum Units.
- Assisted Operations and Maintenance on troubleshooting and make recommendations on various pump, turbine, compressor and motor reliability problems in the ABT.
- Participated in the planning and coordination of the work to remove, overhaul and reinstall the Clark 3B-7 Centrifugal Hydrogen Gas Recycle Compressor.
Project: Toledo Refining Company, Oregon and Ohio, Sr. Rotating Equipment Engineer, 2012 - 2015
- Oversaw the FCC, Alky, and Gas Plant.
- Modified a Dresser Rand /Conmec FCC Expander to increase overall reliability and reduced the number of FCC cool downs caused by high expander vibrations.
- Evaluated motor failures and made recommendations on improving bearing life on High Maintenance Continental Vertical Motors.
- Performed RCFA on various seal and pump failures to improve overall pump reliability on refinery High Maintenance pumps.
- Used SAP program to schedule maintenance and to created and track workorders.
- Utilized the SKF Microlog Vibration Program to evaluate vibration problems in the ABT.
- Developed the scope of work and assisted in the coordinating the overhaul of the FCC PRT Main Air Blower
- Dresser Rand META015 Axial Compressor and GE Startup turbine.
- Analyzed and implemented improvements to increase the overall reliability of two Cooper Bessemer GMV-8TF engines.
Sunoco, Inc., Marcus Hook, PA, Sr. Rotating Equipment Engineer, 1995 -2012
- On site-oversaw the FCC, Tank Farm, Reformer, Crude Unit, and HDS.
- Coordinated and managed the upgrade, overhaul and repairs on the FCC Power Recovery Train T/A's which included an Ingersoll Rand 30,000 HP expander and Ingersoll Rand axial air compressor.
- Assisted in the implementation of a High Maintenance Pump Program in a RCM environment on all refineries' bad actor pumps which improved the overall refinery pump MTBR from 43 months to 89 months and reduced pump repair costs per year from $4.2 million to $2.5million.
- Assisted in establishing Best Practiced Standards for Sunoco Refineries.
- Managed various personnel and contractors in the execution of day to day preventive and predictive maintenance activities and equipment overhauls.
- Performed extensive vibration analysis on rotating equipment using the ENTEK vibration program.
- Participated in HAZOP and Process Safety Management (PSM) reviews for assigned areas.
- Managed projects to upgrade high maintenance pumps and improve mechanical seal's reliability in an effort to improve overall pump reliability.
- Implemented and managed a PdM Lubrication Analysis Program for all the turbo-machinery lubrications systems.
- Supported machinery capital projects in the design, installation and commissioning stages ensuring technical guidelines, API Standards and best practices were followed.
- Insured all field work was performed in accordance with the refinery safety standards.
- Overhauled and analyzed the refineries 450 ft. Johnston cavern pumps.
Mobil Oil Corporation, Paulsboro, N.J., Sr. Rotating Equipment Engineer, 1981 -1995
- Upgraded a used compressor from the Joliet Refinery to the latest API standards by revamping the lube oil skid, installing anti-surge controls, vibration monitoring systems and dry gas seals.
- Depropanizer and Merox Project Units.
- Engineered, designed, and procured all mechanical equipment associated with the construction and installation of new units which included two modular merox skids, heat exchangers, pressure vessels, API centrifugal pumps and interconnecting piping.
- FCC Expansion Project. Upgraded and overhauled the Wet Gas Compressor; procured and installed new tower trays; specified and installed new API pumps, revamped fin fan coolers and pressure vessel replacement.
Rotating Equipment Engineer
- Areas of responsibility: Crude units, Coker, Furfurals, and PDA.
- Provided maintenance with expertise in troubleshooting process problems and overhauling large reciprocating and centrifugal compressors, turbines and pumps.
- Performed vibration analysis on rotating equipment.
Trained machinist on reverse dial alignment method.
- Performed root cause failure analysis on bearings and mechanical seals failures.
- Performed system curve analysis for troubleshooting pump problems and in determining pump.
Honors & Publications
- Practical Application in Vibration Analysis I (Update International)
- Bentley Nevada Vibration Analysis & Monitoring Seminar
- Practical Application in Vibration Analysis II (Update International)
- Conmec's Principle and Applications of Turbo machinery and Expander Seminars
- Heinz Block's Machinery Maintenance Cost Reduction Opportunities Seminar
- Root Cause Failure Analysis Seminar
- EntekIRD Vibration Program Training Seminar
- Bentley System One Training Seminar
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA