- Petroleum Industrialist HSE consulting and services focusing on health, safety, and environmental.
- Environmental regulatory advocacy
- Regulatory compliance assurance processes and tools
- Risk assessments
- Senior environmental training for global manufacturing plants and upstream affiliates.
- Conduct Environmental and Socioeconomic Master Class (Australia, UK) for ExxonMobil.
- Environmental due diligence of manufacturing facilities for potential divestiture.
- Sponsor and author Manufacturing Environmental Standards.
- Negotiated $6 million new source review (NSR) settlement with the USEPA and USDOJ for ExxonMobil Refining.
- Deploy environmental business planning model across ExxonMobil downstream organization.
- Compliance assurance models across regulatory advocacy system for Europe and China.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Executive Advisor, Present
- Provide commercial, industrial, and training organizations responsible for environmental management (systems, compliance, planning, socioeconomics, sustainment), health, safety, and security.
- Provide HSE consulting to manufacturing, gas, and oil entities.
ExxonMobile Corporation, Houston, TX, 1984 - 2016
Chief Environmental and Regulatory Engineer, 2014 - 2016
- Executive support to all ExxonMobil Downstream, Midstream and Upstream business lines.
- Support for global environmental management, planning, environmental regulatory advocacy, regulatory compliance assurance processes/tools, risk assessments, due diligence and senior environmental training for 65 global manufacturing plants and Upstream affiliates.
- Instructor for ExxonMobil Environmental & Socioeconomic Master Class, (Australia, UK)
- Environmental due diligence of manufacturing facilities for potential divestiture
- Sponsor/author of Manufacturing Environmental Standards.
Global Environment & Health Manager Fairfax, VA, 2003 - 2014
- Responsible for ExxonMobil's (downstream and chemical) global environmental planning, stewardship, environmental regulatory advocacy, and operations, integrity and compliance.
- Managed 18 global senior HQ professionals and provided oversight for 150 imbedded environmental professionals.
- Negotiated $6 million plus NSR settlement with the USEPA and USDOJ for ExxonMobil Refining.
- Team achieved over $1 million in State and Federal advocacy successes; reduced U.S. air emissions 75%
- Deployed environmental business planning model across ExxonMobil Downstream organization.
- Developed and deployed compliance assurance model across ExxonMobil Downstream organization.
- Developed regulatory advocacy system for Europe and China.
Senior Environmental Advisor for Global Refining, 1997
- Developed integrated environmental management system for the merger between Exxon and Mobil.
- Conducted environmental due diligence of Exxon's Benicia refinery prior to divestiture associated with the Exxon and Mobil merger.
- Negotiated an environmental prime services contract for Manufacturing ($10 million per year cost savings).
Environmental Manger, Baton Rouge Complex, 1995
- Reorganized the Environmental Advisor Group around process operating teams.
- Implemented "branding" campaign to raise profile of Environmental Advisor Group
- Taught leadership training course to refinery supervisors.
Operating Services/ Oil Movements Department Head - Baton Rouge Refinery, 1990
- Reorganized 200 employee organization, reducing costs by greater than $5 milllion per year.
- Computerized two process operating control rooms.
- Expanded 19 marine loading facilities by 33% and eliminated terminal oil spills.
- Responsible for refinery Fire and Rescue organizations.
Coordination and Product Quality Department Head - Baton Rouge Refinery, 1988
- Managed employees and systems supplying crude/feedstock for a 450,000 barrel per day refinery.
- Planned supply restart of Baton Rouge refinery after offsite fire and explosion.
Operating Support Department Head - Baton Rouge Refinery, 1986
- Responsible for maximizing throughput, energy efficiency, and QA/QC for 35 processing units.
- Led process and mechanical contract engineering support for refinery.
Maintenance Services Department Head - Baton Rouge Refinery, 1984
- Planned and executed multiple refinery turnarounds.
- Managed refinery fabricating shop and business services with focus on efficiency and cost reductions.
ExxonMobile Projects and Timeline
- Chief Environmental and Regulatory Engineer, EMCorp, Houston, TX, 2014 - 2016
- Global Environment and Health Manager, DS&Chem, Fairfax, VA, 2003 - 2014
- Senior Environmental Advisor for Refining, Houston, TX, Fairfax, VA, 1997 - 2003
- Environmental Manager, Baton Rouge Refinery, Baton Rouge, LA, 1995 - 1997
- Operating Services and Oil Movements Department Head, Baton Rouge, LA, 1990 -1995
- Coordination and Product Quality Department Head, Baton Rouge, LA, 1988 - 1990
- Operating Support Department Head, Baton Rouge, LA, 1986 - 1988
- Maintenance Services Department Head, Baton Rouge, LA, 1994 - 1986
- Crude and Feedstock Supervisor-Supply, Houston, TX, 1982 - 1984
- Senior Staff Planner - Lube Capital Projects, Houston, TX, 1980 - 1982
- Lubes Operating Supervisor, Baytown, TX, 1978 - 1980
- Senior Cost Analyst, Baytown, TX, 1978
- Middle Distillate Coordinator, Baytown, TX, 1978
- FCCU Senior Contact Engineer, Baytown, TX, 1977
- Lube Plant Contact Engineer, Baytown, TX, 1973
Honors & Publications
- Essentials of Environmental Excellence - Calgary, AB
- Advanced Leadership Program - Thunderbird School of Global Management, Phoenix, AZ
- Chemical Engineering Curriculum Advisor (Texas A&M University, College Station,TX)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Petroleum Institute - API - Health, Environmental, & Safety General Committee
- American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers - AFPM - Environmental Committee
- The American Institute of Chemical Engineers - AICHE
- B.S. (Cum Laude) Chemical Engineering from Texas A&M University, College Station, TX