- Physical metallurgy, corrosion science and wear of materials.
- Failure analysis - mechanical fracture, corrosion (wear of metals), ceramics and polymers.
- Selection and specification of a wide range of metallic alloys and materials to meet process or product requirements: Carbon, alloy, stainless and tool steels,copper, nickel, cobalt and titanium alloys and nonmetallic materials.
- Corrosion in aqueous, high temperature, molten polymer, molten salt and many other chemical environments in a wide range of process equipment.
- Solutions for abrasive and adhesive wear problems through selection of alloys, nonmetallic materials, surface engineering and the use of hard materials such as carbides and powder metallurgy tool steels.
- Equipment condition evaluation and inspection.
- Specification and evaluation of electrolytic and electroless coatings, such as chromium and nickel.
- Materials engineering for high hazard plant operations containing corrosive materials at high temperature and pressure.
- Metallurgy and materials research and development, applied materials engineering consulting, plant operations and maintenance, plant equipment inspection-evaluation and technical management
- Metallurgy and materials engineering training.
Expert Witness Experience
- Completed metallic process equipment failure analysis investigations and expert witness documentation for plant site failures.
Undisclosed Company, Principal Consultant, Present
- Providing an array of services to clients in metallurgy, materials engineering technology and industrial applications; identifying problems and supplying definition and implementation of durable solutions.
DuPont Company, Wilmington, DE, 1998 - 2016
Principal and Senior Materials Consultant and Materials Engineering Technology Leader
- Defined equipment procurement specifications for crucial corrosion and wear resistance criteria for polymer compounding equipment that resulted in year over year savings of $1.5 million.
- Solved key equipment corrosion issue and specified alternative materials of construction for polymer processing equipment that delivered $1 million annual savings in reduced maintenance costs and improved product quality.
- Developed a successful materials fabrication, high temperature corrosion and wear solution for a novel equipment design that resulted in $10 million annual savings from increased process uptime and capacity and reduced maintenance costs.
- Completed equipment failure analysis and expert witness documentation to DuPont Legal Advisors for oil release issue.
- Recognized many times at the corporate level for technical excellence and leadership.
- Engineering Excellence Award Honorable Mention -"Improvement of Capacity and Uptime in Fluoropolymer Production."
- Engineering Excellence Award Nomination - "Large Compounding Extruder Facility Commercialization."
- Engineering Excellence Award Nomination - "Advantage Additive® Corrosion Solution."
- Chief Science Officer Accomplishment Award - "Recognition for Outstanding Dedication and Extraordinary Effort in Maintaining Physical Failure Analysis Capability for DuPont.
Technical and Professional Positions - DuPont, 1977 - 1998
- Technology Manager - Research and Engineering Technology
- Research Manager - Central Research and Development Department
- Sr. Supervisor and Research and Development Site Head - Titanium Technologies
- Planning Manager - Engineering Research and Development
- Sr. Supervisor/Supervisor Materials - Engineering Research and Development
- Senior Research Engineer - Engineering Research and Development
- Research Engineer - Engineering Research and Development
- Managed engineering, research and development and plant technical groups in different businesses. Responsibilities included technical program definition, results, budget, administrative and personnel accountability of exempt and nonexempt employees.
- Key contributor and co-leader of the technical team that identified the root cause and implemented a solution to a critical process reactor cracking issue. This result saved product sales in excess of $50 million and insured safe plant operation.
- Engineering Excellence Award - "Resolution of a Reactor Cracking Problem."
- Key contributor and co-leader of a technical process development team that developed an environmentally-friendly process for acidic by-product destruction that was patented and sold to another company.
- Defined and conducted applied materials research programs directed at solving important business manufacturing equipment issues and enabling product development or improvement.
- Provided the metallurgy expertise for the development of a palladium-nickel alloy electroplating process to replace costly pure gold coating used for electronic and communications connector products. The commercialized process delivered a large competitive cost advantage and significant value when the business was later sold.
- Electronic Connector Study Group - Best Session Paper, "Creep Corrosion over Gold, Palladium and Tin-Lead Electroplate."
Honors & Publications
- Elected Fellow of ASM International for significant contributions in applied metallurgy and materials engineering that enabled solutions to complex equipment and process problems
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
- DuPont Management and Leadership Courses
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Fellow (FASM), Life Member and National Education Chairperson - ASM International, Metals Park, OH
- ASM International - Brandywine Valley Chapter: Chapter Chairperson, Program Chairperson, lecturer for educational courses, Executive Committee
- Previous DuPont Company Representative and MTI Director
- Drexel University, Industrial Advisory Committee of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering College of Engineering, College of Engineering Alumni Advisory Council
- Electron Microscopy Society of America Presidential Fellowship
- Electronic Connector Study Group - Best Session Paper
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of numerous peer reviewed scientific journals, (educational literature for conferences and symposia) and Text Books
- U. S. Patent - Electrochemical Cell, Distribution
- Ph.D. Materials Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA