Intellectual Property Services
- Portfolio valuation and technical analysis.
- Application/claim drafting and prosecution.
- Licensing, litigation, and IPR (inter parties review) support (reverse engineering, claim charts, damages, depositions, etc.)
- USPTO (Patent and Trade Mark Office) registered patent agent.
Technical and Managerial Services
- Broadband access networks; (i.e., PON, xDSL, DOCSIS, DBS/DVB, LTE, and Wi-Fi), wired, wireless, and optical interfaces, (i.e., COFDM, CWDM, DWDM, Ethernet, IB).
- Analog Radio Frequency - RF and high speed digital circuit design.
- Electrical and optical sensor circuitry.
- Video and audio technologies.
- General analog, radio frequent, and digital circuit design Intellectual property.
- Embedded software and mobile device technologies (tablet, smartphone, IoT).
- System architecture for IP networking, data switching, and radio communication.
- Cloud computing, client/server architectures, and data center infrastructure.
- Data center infrastructure.
Expert Witness Experience
- Processing patent validity cases (inter parties review).
- Acquisition patent valuation and due diligence.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Principal Investigator, 2003 - Present
- Forensics services and reverse engineering for consumer and industrial electronics.
Durestec, Senior Consultant, 2006 - Present
- Licensing, litigation, and IPR support services.
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small business Technology TRansfer (STTR) support services.
Various Law Firms, Senior Patent Agent, 2006 - 2016
- Patent application drafting and prosecution services.
Flashpoint Technology, Principal Research Engineer, 2006 - 2015
- Researched and developed patent disclosures for application oriented IP for newly emerging technologies.
- Continuing prosecution of large patent portfolio relating to advanced IP networks.
- Technology research on digital camera, digital rights management, and advanced networking.
- System definition on advanced advertising, fixed and mobile multimedia services.
- Market analysis for technology research focus areas.
OTO Technologies, Chief Technical Officer, 2009 - 2010
- Developed and executed technical strategy for research, acquisition, and licensing of 3G/4G mobile technologies.
- Acquisition patent valuation and due diligence (emphasis on wireless carrier and handset technologies).
- Technology research on advanced bandwidth management and next generation mobile advertising.
- Disclosure development, application filing, and prosecution support including accelerated exam.
- Portfolio preparation and support for contingency firm analysis.
Concert Technology, Principal Patent Analyst, 2007 - 2009
- Completed portfolio analysis and conducted research into advance audio/video services and applications.
- Patent valuations, market analysis, and due diligence for portfolio acquisitions.
- Technology research on next generation Internet radio and cloud based multimedia services.
- Licensing materials for acquired and developed portfolios.
- Portfolio preparation and support for execution of patent litigation.
RTI International, (MCNC Research and Development Institute), Principal Scientist, 2004 - 2006
- Engineering Hardware Manager-Principal investigation for "Center for Advanced Network Research" and management of hardware team for wire-speed protocol implementations.
- Developed system architectures for DWDM 10Gbps grid test beds and smaller wireless ad-hoc networks.
- Researched advanced network protocol stacks using out-of-band control planes.
- Completed research proposals from SBIR/STTR through multi-year Broad Agency Announcements.
- Developed multiple collaborative partnerships with industry and academia.
- Maintained position on technical review board for corporate IP (MCNC).
SheepShank LLC, Founder & Senior Partner, 2002 - 2004
- Start-up seeking funding via VC/Seed/Grants for Innovations in VLSI & data networking.
- Partnership with Duke VLSI Design Center on joint DoD SBIR proposals.
- Multiple speaking engagements on product innovation techniques and SBIR/STTR opportunities.
- Business case development to venture community.
ECI Telecom, (Pulsecom), Centennial Campus, 1997 - 2002
Director, Research and Development Lab
- Overall technical, project, administrative, and budget responsibility ATM/DSL ASIC and board level development, system integration/test and verification/compliance.
- Developed two generations of core ATM switch fabric modules for broadband multiplexers.
- Completed five feature releases of Element Management System software for Pulsecom product line.
- Operated remote 40 engineer research and development facility conducting multi-site projects with less than 15% overhead.
- Successfully transitioned site from Pulsecom to ECI Telecom ownership.
- Completed office and lab fit-ups while enlarging facility and increasing staff.
- Direct reports represented company within DSL Forum, IETF, and ATM Forums.
Engineering Manager, 1997 - 1998
- Technical and Project Management of Engineering Staff for Board Level and FPGA development.
- Transitioned product IP from 3-COM to Pulsecom for product implementation.
- Developed first generation packet based DSLAM including three board level developments.
BroadBand Technologies Inc., (Siecor / FiberLAN), Founding Member, 1985 - 1997
- Technical and project management for system definition and development of Fiber-to-the Curb products, VDSL drop technology for ATM transport (UTP and COAX), low-cost high bit-rate optic transceivers, DS1, DS3, and SONET interfaces, and video compression technology.
- Managed 12 first-pass success ASIC developments.
- Successfully staffed Research and Development Team for ASIC and board level developments.
- Managed and completed eight joint IP/corporate developments.
Senior Engineer, 1985 - 1987
- Optic Transceivers and Clock Recovery Design. DS1 and Telephony Line-Card Circuit Design. Completed four board levels designs for LAN optical communication products.
ITT (Transmission Division / Fiber Optics), Senior Engineer, 1981 - 1985
- Project and technical management of engineering team for fiber optic transmission systems. Project managed joint IP and development with Samsung for telecommunications system for the Olympics.
Engineer, 1981 - 1984
- Switch-Mode Power Supply Design, DS3 Transceiver Design, TTL and ECL Logic, RF Design, and Circuit Simulation. Completed three board levels designs for long-haul optical transmission systems.
Honors & Publications
- Licensed Professional Engineer-NC
- Registered Patent Agent
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Radio Technology Professional
Publications and Patents
- Author of eight publications for presentations and educational
- Over 50 patents
- BSEE Electrical Engineering, North Carolina State University Raleigh, NC