- Extrusion processing including machinery design, screw design, polymer technology, trouble shooting and management.
- Extrusion training, process solutions, equipment design, expert witness, and management assistance.
- Compounding extruders projects: Die design, grooved barrel extruder design, very large compounding extruders, screw design, sheet extrusion equipment design and market analysis.
- Marketing and business growth in the specialty extrusion manufacturing, plastics processing, plastics manufacturing and plastics machinery industries.
Specific Products and Equipment
- Sheet extrusion and foam board products.
- Plastic machinery extruders.
- Extrusion, injection screws, and heat transfer rolls.
- Blowmolding machinery.
- Manufacture of specialty extrusion equipment.
- Manufacturer of bimetallic barrels.
- Turnkey installations, plant layout, startup, training and maintenance.
- HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) resins - sheet, blowmolding and rotomolding resins.
- Polymer processing: HDPE, LDPE, PP, ABS, HIPS ECTFE, and GPPS.
Expert Witness Experience
- Provide expert witness services to several major law firms in cases involving plastics processing.
Undisclosed Company, President, Present
- Extrusion processing of plastics including process and equipment design.
- Servicing clients in the plastics processing, plastics manufacturing and plastics machinery business.
Milacron Inc., Cincinnati, OH, Director of Technology, Extrusion Business Group
- Oversee the Extrusion Business operations which included single screw extruders, counter rotating twin screw extruders and blow molding machines.
- Process technology, field processing service and laboratory.
- Support sales and service groups as well as engineering on processing related information.
- Product Manager for sheet extrusion and foam board products.
- Unit Business Manager reporting to the President of the Plastic Machinery Extrusion Group, an acquired a screw manufacturing company in Toronto.
- Of the six planned after-market service sites in North America, managed company until integrated into the Milacron corporate structure.
- Acquisition of the other service sites was delayed indefinitely by the down turn in the plastics machinery market.
J. & Associates, New Castle, PA, President
- Executing business operations specializing in all aspects of extrusion processing of plastics including process and equipment design.
- Retainers with Dow Chemical, Welex, NFM-Welding Engineers, Milacron, and Spirex.
- Conducted extensive projects in die design, grooved barrel extruder design, very large compounding extruders, screw design and sheet extrusion equipment design and market analysis.
- Supply management consulting to a number of plastics processors.
New Castle Industries, Inc., New Castle, PA, President and CEO
- Serving as President for this parent holding company (Ampco-Pittsburgh) of sixteen years.
- Performed all operations of the company.
- Company grew from $7 Million in sales to over $40 Million.
- New Castle Industries became the largest manufacturer of extrusion and injection screws and heat transfer rolls in North America during that period.
- Company expanding into the manufacture of specialty extrusion equipment as well as becoming a major manufacturer of bimetallic barrels.
- Employment reached 350 people with six plants located throughout eastern U.S.
- Acquired three of the plants and started a forth as a greenfield operation during that period.
- Three of the plants had labor unions and three were non-union creating a very diverse labor management background.
Vice President and General Manager
- Expanded the Feed Screws Division, including the Tanner Roll Division.
- Screw and extrusion equipment design.
Hoover Universal Corporation, Uniloy Division, Saline, MI, Manager of Research and Development
- Directed the development of improved blowmolding equipment.
- Managed the laboratory group and a design group of six engineers and technicians.
- Worked closely with the Marketing Manager to develop equipment to meet the rapidly expanding market.
- Service Manager responsible for service of blowmolding machinery sales. This included plant layout, installation, startup, training and maintenance. It required coordination of thirteen field servicemen and extensive travel to oversee some of the more complicated projects including turnkey installations.
Sinclair-Koppers Co., Product Development Department, Monaca, PA
- Senior Technical Representative for HDPE resins with responsibility for the development of sheet, blow molding and rotomolding resins.
- Iinterfaced with polymer production, polymer research and processors to develop and test HDPE polymers.
- Applications Engineer involved with processing technology including extrusion, blow molding, screw design and thermoforming.
- Extensive assignments in field technical service for SK's polymer products.
- Traveled to customer sites on technical service issues.
- Responsibilities were expanded to the supervision of the extrusion portion of the laboratory with the title of Senior Applications Engineer.
- Gained basic polymer processing experience with HDPE, LDPE, PP, ABS, HIPS and GPPS which were all manufactured by S-K.
General Tire & Rubber Co., Mechanical Design Group, Research and Development, Akron , Ohio
- Experience was obtained in the design and testing of rubber and plastic products for the manufacturing departments.
- Major projects were testing of synthetic shoe materials and subway track fasteners.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Director of the Society of Plastics Engineers, Extrusion Division
- Chairman Extrusion Division Society of Plastics Engineers
- Elected a Fellow of the Society Of Plastics Engineers
- Chairman of the Components Division of The Society of the Plastics Industry
- Director of the Society of the Plastics Industry
- Elected to the Plastic Pioneers Association
- Elected Councilor for the Extrusion Division of the Society of Plastics Engineers
- Received Honored Service Member status for contributions to the SPE
- SPE Bruce Maddocks Award for outstanding contributions to the extrusion industry
- SPE Extrusion Div. award for Outstanding Achievement in the Industry
Publications and Patents
- Author of numerous technical publications and Author of a monthly column in a peer-reviewed scientific journal with topics in Extrusion.
- Four Patents with several pending.
- MBA Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI
- B.S. Engineering, Geneva College, Beaver Falls, PA