Plastic Products Part Design and Product Development Consultant
Technical Consultant #2328
- Mechanical engineer providing 30 years of experience developing products for mass production.
- Product design using engineering plastics (nylon, acetal, and polycarbonate).
- Technical expert in colors, materials, and finishes, with expertise in color matching, color tolerances, appearance requirements, appearance evaluation methods, acceptance criteria.
- Problem solver with a thorough knowledge of engineering processes, troubleshooter, skilled in analytical and intuitive approaches.
- Interpretation of complex product requirements and developing design concepts into fully engineered products, from prototype stage through production release.
- High volume plastics design and production.
- Industrial support for designers, engineers, product development teams including, tool makers-fabrication, molders, material suppliers, contract manufactures and product design firms.
- Plastic part design and material selection for injection molding.
Undisclosed Company, Owner and Chief Engineer, 2006 - Present
- Founder of consulting company providing services in plastics technology to select clients in the wireless, medical, and consumer products industries.
- Primary focus on guiding product concepts into full-scale production.
- Primary consultant for all technical projects.
- Sourced and hired personnel (technical, marketing, administrative).
- Developed training programs in plastic material selection.
- Responsible for company branding, marketing, and business development.
- Assisting manufacturing companies seeking a competitive edge in the global marketplace through design and develop products for mass production.
- Industrial support working with designers, engineers, product development teams including: tool makers-fabrication, molders, material suppliers, contract manufactures and product design firms.
- High volume plastics design and production.
- Lytx, Cisco Consumer Products Division, Underwater Kinetics, Tandem Diabetes Care, Encap Technologies, Watershot.
- Development of the iDive housing for the iPad, the world's first fully functional touch screen device for underwater use.
- Featured in Apple advertisements.
Quartus Engineering - PDG Hightower, San Diego, CA, 2002 - 2006
Consulting Mechanical Engineer
- Mechanical engineering of parts and sub-assemblies for the wireless and consumer electronic industries. Responsible for fit, form, and function of user interaction components.
- Nokia 6265 - first slide-style CDMA phone
- Nokia 6255 - all-in-one clamshell style phone
- Low cost accessories for Hewlett-Packard Deskjet printers
Motorola Personal Communications Sector, Libertyville, IL, Staff Engineer, 2000 - 2002
- Member of Appearance Technology Center: investigated new materials, finishes, and decorative processes and facilitated their use in personal communications products.
- Primary responsibility for metal and metallic finishes, including in-mold decorating, plastics plating, aluminum anodizing, and PVD.
- Spearheaded development of anodized color and texture palette on replaceable aluminum housings for V60i phone.
Independent Consultant, 2000 - 2002
- Mechanical engineering of plastic parts and components, prototyping, testing, vendor liaison, manufacturing support.
- Key Assignments: Eli Lilly / IDEO Product Development, Nellcor Puritan Bennett, Skil-Bosch Power Tool Company, Whirlpool Corp.
- Member of new product development team for SRAM Corporation, a bicycle component manufacturer. Responsible for design integrity and manufacturability of shifters, derailleurs, and braking systems.
DuPont Engineering, Wilmington, DE, 1986 - 1995
Senior Design Specialist-Polymer Department
- Provided design support and technical assistance to major DuPont customers as a value added service of global Sales and Development Groups. Customer base included key OEM sales accounts along with development projects at targeted major manufacturers.
- Developed a child safety mechanism for use in disposable lighters
- Charter Member, DuPont Center for Creativity and Excellence
Honors & Publications
- State of Illinois - P.E.
- State of Delaware - P.E.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member, Society of Plastics Engineers
- Board of Directors, SPE Product Design and Development Division
- Recipient - IAPD Plastics Design Competition (Award)
- Presented by the Association of American Publishers, the Awards for Professional and Scholarly
- Excellence (PROSE) recognize works of great merit that add groundbreaking knowledge to the arts
- Author of numerous publications in peer reviewed journals educational text, publications found in 120 libraries (holding permanent status-reported by WorldCat) and in 20 countries.
- B.S. Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI