- Servicing plastic material manufacturers, convertors and asset owners with focus to plastic pipe material development, extrusion support for manufacturers, and plastics testing.
- Polyethylene materials including manufacturing, extrusion, additive stabilization, stress and creep analysis, environmental conditions, chemical compatibility, and application requirements.
- Polyethylene piping: Structural corrugated pipe, natural gas distribution, oil and gas production, water transport, hot and cold water plumbing, heat fusion joining.
- Spoolable polymer composite piping for energy production.
- Forensic investigations, and failure analysis.
Expert Witness Experience
- Large-scale failures of an HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) irrigation system on a golf course - Defective manufacturing workmanship.
- Extensive presence of polybutylene (PB) domestic water and fire suppression lines were disclosed as part of property assessment report - Conducted on site visit, composed PB piping analysis report.
Undisclosed Company, President, 2014 - Present
- Serving the needs of plastic material manufacturers, convertors and asset owners with a specialization in plastic pipe material development, extrusion support for manufacturers, and plastics testing.
- Authored a technical standard at ASTM International and a 70 page report for Electric Power Research Institute.
- Papers authored and presentations given at SPE ANTEC and Polyolefins Conference.
- Participated in several industry organizations and served as chair of ASTM F17.61 Subcommittee on water piping systems.
Microbac Laboratories - Hauser Division, Boulder, CO, Technical Director, 2012 - 2014
- Directed and coordinated activities of a technical team to prepare test reports on plastic materials and piping system components, products, and assemblies.
- Provided consulting services on a broad array of technical projects including plastic materials and codes/standards revisions.
Chevron Phillips Chemical Company, Bartlesville, OK, 2000 - 2012
Pipe Technical Service Supervisor
- Led a team of technical service engineers to provide experience and expertise on wide variety of technical issues confronting pressure pipe and non-pressure pipe convertors.
Pipe Material and Development Specialist
- Analyzed manufacturing technologies to create innovative products in a variety of end-use applications.
- Worked in a cross-functional team of developmental specialists having responsibility for development of new durable applications including thermoforming, large-part blow molding, sheet, geomembrane, structural pipe, pressure pipe and black, blue, and yellow concentrates.
- Developed new pipe resins.
- Provided technical service for PE pipe fabrication.
- Provided company representation at industry organizations including ASME, CSA, and ASTM.
Polymer Stabilization Chemist
- Served as internal expert for resin development, manufacturing, technical service, purchasing and licensing.
- Developed analytical methods and qualified additives for polyethylene manufacturing.
- Provided technical and financial analysis of new additives.
Phillips Petroleum Company, Bartlesville, OK, Polymer Research Chemist, 1996 - 2000
- Supported polyethylene manufacturing and licensing business from research and development group during new catalyst and product introductions.
- Scaled-up lab versions of polyethylene catalysts.
Honors & Publications
- Postdoctoral Fellow - Scripps Research Institute - La Jolla, California
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Gas Association - Plastic Materials Committee Ex-officio Member
- American Petroleum Institute
- ASME - Contributing Member of the Working Group on HDPE Materials
- ASTM International - Subcommittee F17.61 Chair on Plastic Piping for Water
- American Water Works Association
- Canadian Standards Association - B137 Committee
- Plastics Pipe Institute
- Society of Plastics Engineers - Technical Program Chair, Plastic Pipe and Fittings SIG
Publications and Patents
- Author of numerous publications and presentations
- Over ten U.S. and world patents
- Ph.D. Inorganic Chemistry, Indiana University - Bloomington, MI
- B.S. Chemistry, Hope College - Holland, IN