- Emulsion polymerization technology, with focus on vinyl acetate - ethylene co-polymerization technology.
- Product ideation; scale-up, and manufacturing in the specialty chemicals, adhesives and materials industries.
- Development of aqueous based binder technology for paint and coatings applications.
- Development of aqueous based binder technology for paper and packaging adhesives applications.
- Development of aqueous based binder technology for textile and non-woven applications.
- New product development, aqueous binder application development, scale-up and commercial scale process improvements.
- Innovation and technology management (e.g. Stage Gate®, DFSS®).
- Scale-up and piloting, pilot plant management.
- Process improvement and manufacturing efficiency programs (e.g. Six Sigma®).
- Innovation and IP strategy development.
- Lab and pilot plant expansion project management, including budget control.
Undisclosed Company, Founder, 2014 - Present
- Provide global consulting in chemistry innovation and technology.
- Developed a strategy for entering U.S. and Europe market for a Latin-American company producing green binders for construction industry.
- Co-designed a new, low-emission product for the textile coatings business of a European company, suggested a product development strategy to the research organization.
- Developed environmental friendly binder alternatives for bamboo composites for the "Bambuswaldhoch10" of the NGO "Fundacion Escuela para la Vida", Colombia.
Celanese Emulsions GmbH, Frankfurt, Germany, 2006 - 2013
Head of Global Emulsions Process Technology, 2010 - 2013
- Founded, staffed and managed the Emulsions Process Technology group, with five team leaders (of Ph.D.), 15 researchers, engineers and technicians total and $1.5 million (€) annual budget.
- Developed and implemented seven Platform Programs to innovate the Emulsions process and manufacturing technologies.
- Accountable for operating and developing the central research and development pilot plant, managed $5.0 million (€) total capital investment for new designed equipment and restructuring.
- As member of Emulsions Technology Leadership Team responsible for technology strategy development, global networking, organization- and people development; as well as change management.
Project Lead Emulsions Process Development, 2007 - 2010
- Optimized emulsions manufacturing processes in total seven manufacturing sites in Europe, North-America and China.
- On-location support for emulsions business unit first local China commercial reactor start-up.
- Generated more than $1.0 million (€) cost savings in a globally implemented raw material optimization project.
- Responsible for two lab teams as well as pilot plant operations and development.
- Managed $2.0 million (€) capital investment into improved research facilities.
Lab Lead Emulsions Research and Development, 2006 - 2007
- Developed new, environmentally friendly emulsion binders for North American paint market as well as for Chinese packaging adhesive market.
Air Products Polymers GmbH & Co. KG, Burghausen, Germany
Lab Lead Research and Development
- Developed new, environmentally friendly paint binder dispersion for European market.
- As responsible leader of a multi-functional team implemented a holistic concept to improve plant hygiene for three commercial plants in Europe.
- Contributed as Member of the Polymer Dispersions working group of International Biodeterioration Research Group (IBRG) to the development of a standard method under the EU Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR) framework.
Honors & Publications
- German, native
- English, fluent
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker, German Chemists Society - GdCh
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of 5 Publications in peer reviewed journals and symposia
- Patents - 4, (U.S. and World)
- Ph.D. Polymer Chemistry, (magna cum laude) Chemnitz University of Technology, Germany
- M.S. Chemistry, Chemnitz University of Technology, Chemnitz, Germany