- Diesel and gasoline engine controls.
- Variable valve actuation (VVA).
- Fuel injection systems.
- NOx control in Diesel engine and aftertreatment-based systems
- Modeling, design and control of advanced powertrains.
- Powertrain control strategies that allow the efficient and clean use of conventional fuels, coal-derived fuels and biofuels.
- Modeling, integration and control of variable valve actuation (VVA) systems in IC engines.
- Engine algorithm development for closed-loop control and virtual sensing.
- Engine and aftertreatment system design and control.
- Alternatively-fueled engine combustion control.
- Low temperature combustion - PCCI, HCCI, and RCCI.
- Piezo-electric fuel injection.
- Hybrid powertrains.
Undisclosed University, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, 1996 - Present
Serving various positions
- Professor Mechanical Engineering, 2011 - Present
- On site Staff Consultant, 2011 - Present
- Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, 2006 - 2011
- Teaching Assistant, Mechanical Engineering, 1999 - 2000
- Provided technical mentoring for students in two upper division courses: Systems and Measurement; Systems Modeling and Analysis. Responsible for evaluation and feedback of student performance.
- Cooperative Education Student, 1996 - 1999
- Working with AlliedSignal Inc. (Honeywell) Aerospace, under facility. Designed, analyzed and tested aerospace grade fuel and flight surface control hardware
- Faculty advisor, Theta Tau Engineer. Fraternity (Organizer of the Local and National Rube Goldberg Machine Contest Competitions)
- Faculty advisor, EcoCar2 team - designing a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle powertrain for a 2012 Chevy Malibu
Stanford University, Graduate Research Assistant, 2000 - 2005
Dynamic Design Lab
- Develop modeling and control strategies for Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines with VVA.
- Research highly multidisciplinary, with significant overlap of the following areas: Dynamics, systems and control; fluid mechanics; combustion and thermodynamics.
Course Assistant, Department of Mechanical Engineering, 2001
- Maintained and developed laboratory systems for identification and control for the upper division/graduate course: System Identification of Mechanical Systems for Control.
Palomar Technologies, Vista, CA, 1999 - 2000
- Developed an automated closed-loop control synthesis strategy for Palomar's premiere wire-bonding machines.
Courses and Workshops
- Systems Measurement
- System Modeling and Analysis
- Automatic Control Design
- Theory and Design of Control Systems
- Multivariate Control Design
- Adaptive Control
- Delphi (Kokomo, IN): HEV 101 Introduction to Electric Vehicle Systems, Module 1 - Introduction to HEV (hybrid electric vehicle), PHEV (plug-in hybrid electric vehicle), EV (electric vehicle),and FCEV (fuel cycle electric vehicle) configurations, with John Abraham (ME), May 11th, 2010, Kokomo, IN - course material preparation and presentation.
Honors & Publications
Educational Focus and Thesis
- Dynamic Modeling and Control of HCCI Engines, completion:
- Dynamics, systems and control
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Ground Vehicle Power Research Community, Energy Center - Member and Point of Contact
- Associate Editor for ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control and International Journal of Engine Research
- Faculty advisor, Phi Chapter of Theta Tau Engineering Fraternity
Services-Government and Profession Organizations
- Associate Editor, International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC) Control Engineering Practice Journal
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Engine Research
- Associate Editor, Frontiers in Engine and Automotive Research
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Dynamics Systems Measurement and Control
- Editorial board, ASME Dynamics Systems and Control Magazine
- Session Co-chair and Organizer (Automotive Propulsion Systems) for the American Control Conference
- Editor, IFAC Advances in Automotive Control Symposium and Special Journal Issue
- Purdue Pugwash Undergraduate Research Symposium Poster Judge
- Proposal Review Panel Member, NSF Control Systems Program
- ASME Fuels Program Peer Review Panel Member for U.S. Dept. of Energy, National Energy Technology Laboratory
- Sigma Xi Graduate Student Research Awards, Poster Judge
- Paper reviewer for: IFAC Control Engineering Practice; Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control; IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics; IEEE Control Systems Technology; Journal of SAE International; American Control Conference, ASEM International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition; IFAC Symposium on Advances in Automotive Control
- Chairman, Automotive and Transportation Panel, ASME Division of Dynamic Systems and Control
- Bentele Award for Engine Technology Innovation
- Ralph Teetor Educational Award
- American Control Conference - best presentation in session award (Won three times)
- Best paper in Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement and Control
- Best paper in Journal of Automobile Engineering
- Purdue University Faculty Scholar
Publications and Patents
- Author, Co-Author of over 50 publications in peer reviewed journals and educational text
- Over 20 Invited colloquium, seminar series, and conference and presentations, (Domestic and International)
- Over a 12 patents (U.S. World, Europe and Brazil)
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University Stanford, CA
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, (Minor-Fluid Mechanics) Stanford University Stanford, CA
- B.S.M.E. Mechanical Engineering, (Highest Distinction) Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN