- Medical imaging, electronics, semi-conductors, medical devices, sensors, MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems), signal processing, image processing and ultrasound.
- Industrial and applications including, imaging, consumer electronics, biometric security, and electrical power delivery.
- Intellectual Property: Patent development, analysis, licensing, and strategy.
Expert Witness Experience
- Medical malpractice (spinal injury, working with neurologist) - retained, filed initial statement with Court and deposition work.
- Product liability - wheelchair.
- Two patent infringement cases involving wearable consumer electronics.
- Trade secrets case involving semiconductor technology.
Undisclosed Company, Owner and Senior Consultant, 2012 - Present
- Expert Consultant in the areas of ultrasound, MEMS, electronics, patent strategy and litigation support.
- Consulting with counsel on a trade secrets case.
- Advising start-ups on patent strategy, product positioning and business strategy.
- Development of wearable cancer monitoring device.
- Portable point-of-care imaging (research supported by a grant to River Sonic Solutions from the National Institutes of Health).
- Design of beam formation and image reconstruction techniques.
- Acoustics and transducer design for medical and industrial applications.
- Design of MEMS devices, front-end electronics and integrated circuits.
Cephasonics, Inc., Santa Clara, CA, Chief Scientist, 2011 - Present
- Responsible for technical direction of a start-up seeking to commoditize front-end and beam formation electronics.
- Advised CEO on all technical matters, deeply involved in angel and VC fund-raising.
- Extensive customer interaction: marketed products to imaging and non-traditional customers.
Siemens Healthcare, Ultrasound Division, Mountain View, CA , 2005 - 2011
Senior Manager, Engineering Department
- Delivered 3 ASICs on tight schedule to support new Silicon Ultrasound product line.
- Managed team of eight engineers to design, test and manufacture all electronics needed for introduction of Silicon Ultrasound transducers.
- Technology evangelist presenting weekly to customers at Siemens' Innovation Center.
Sensant Corporation, San Leandro, CA, Manager, Research and Development, 2003 - 2005
- Managed group which created electronics for first 2D and 3D images using silicon ultrasound transducer.
- Co-authored successful grant proposal to DARPA on battlefield ultrasound imaging and surgery. $7.5 million was awarded to Sensant and its collaborator.
Senior Staff Engineer, San Leandro, CA:, 2000 - 2003
- Design of new types of imaging systems using capacitive micro-fabricated ultrasound transducers (cMUTs, also known as Silicon Ultrasound).
- Co-authored several successful SBIR grant proposals.
General Electric Company, Niskayuna, NY. 1990 - 2000
Physicist, Corporate Research and Development
- Designed algorithms for IC implementation; resulting beamforming IC was the heart of GE's successful entry into the premium ultrasound market.
- Developed statistical methods (now patented) for robust simultaneous design of transducer and imaging system to six-sigma quality standards.
- Much transducer design, acoustic field simulation and measurement.
- Research in signal processing for improved image quality and blood flow estimation. Several of these signal processing innovations are used in current GE products.
University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, 1987 - 1990
Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Urbana, IL: 1987-1990
- Research in scanning laser acoustic microscopy to characterize tissue, and applications of neural networks to ultrasonic imaging.
- Taught courses in circuit theory, medical imaging and acoustics.
- Electrical and computer engineering.
- Circuit theory, medical imaging and acoustics.
- Applications of neural networks to ultrasonic imaging.
Honors & Publications
- Grant writing which won awards from National Institute of Health and DARPA.
- Six-Sigma Certified Green Belt, GE Global Research, certified Green Belt
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, Senior Member - dedicated to advancing technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity.
- IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium, Member of Technical Program Committee: responsible for the technical content of the IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium.
- IEEE Consultants Network of Silicon Valley: Network brings together consultants, clients and interested parties.
- Associate Member, American Bar Association, (Present), Member of Intellectual Property Law
- Senior Key Expert, Siemens AG: Key technology experts analogous, top managerial talents.
- Willis R. Whitney Technical Achievement Award, GE Global Research: Development of a Six-Sigma software toolkit, deployed within GE curriculum.
- Six-Sigma Certified Green Belt, GE Global Research, certified Green Belt, GE (completed several projects resulting in cost savings for the company. In my case these involved Design for Six-Sigma DFSS).
- Dushman Award, GE Global Research, GE's highest-ranking team award: Introduction of their first premium ultrasound product, the LOGIQ 700.
Publications and Patents
- Author of peer reviewed publications; papers presented at symposia, and invited conferences. Subject matters: Beamforming, Integration of transducers - front end electronics, and ultrasound.
- Serial inventor holding 22 U.S. Patents with several pending:
- D.Phil. Materials Science, Oxford University, Oxford, U.K.
- M.A. Physics (1st class honors), Oxford University, Oxford, U.K.
- B.A. Physics (1st class honors), Oxford University, Oxford, U.K.