- Extensive high power, high voltage, analog, digital electronics and PCB design experience
- Switch mode power supply design from 1W to 200kW, 1.8V to 400kV.
- Power electronics, linear and saturable magnetics design, IGBTs, Mosfets, controls engineering, design.
- RF PAs from 100W to 50kW CW, LF to L-Band, over 1MW VLF, VEDs, SiC, GaN, and LDMOS.
- Microcontroller experience, FPGA, CPLDs (Microchip, Atmel, Xilinx, TI).
- Particle accelerator design (Cyclotrons, Power Amplifiers, RF, Controls, Machining, Vacuum, Magnets, and Instrumentation).
- Altium Designer, Advanced Altium Training, OrCad
- LTSpice, TinaSpice, PSIM, etc., MPLab IDE, Xilinx Toolsuite
- Matlab, Poisson/SuperFISH, Simion, Agros2d
- C, C ++, PIC C and assembly, Verilog, firmware design, CoreFire
- Experience with Asian and Central American contract manufacturers.
- Root cause analysis, patent viability, and failure analysis Experience with Asian and Central American contract manufacturers.
Undisclosed Company, President, 2009 - Present
- Providing design and consulting services to semiconductor industry tool developers as well as consumer electronics manufacturers including high performance audio and LED lighting applications.
- Designed and brought to production 100kW DC high voltage power supply, several high power plasma drivers, tube and solid-state RF PA designs 500W to 50kW, quasi-resonant battery charging supplies, 15kW deep UV light source for thin film curing.
- Designed, prototyped, and manufactured 8kW novel self-oscillating high-voltage plasma driver.
Diversified Technologies Inc., Bedford, MA, Senior Engineer, 2012 - 2015
- Developing novel solid-state L-band RF power amplifiers.
- Designed high power (10 MVAR) dynamic antenna tuning network.
- Designing ultrafast pulsers (20kV, 400A, 5ns rise and fall).
- Designed, delivered, installed 400kVdc 160kW power supply.
- Wrote several DOE and military SBIR contracts, conference papers and IEEE publications.
- Principal investigator on DOD Phase 1 and Phase 2 VLF Transmitter upgrade project and multiple large programs, internal research and development efforts.
- Extensive work at NAA Cutler, NPM Lualualei, NRTF Dixon VLF sites.
Philips ColorKinetics, Burlington, MA, Senior Analog Engineer, 2008 - 2010
- Designed, prototyped, and brought to mass production (over 100k units) three LED lighting product power supplies, meeting global safety and emissions regulations.
- Designed novel microcontroller-interfaced PFC buck, PFC inverted buck, PFC flyback, half bridge ZVS-ZCS, critical mode and transition mode flyback and buck, and other supply topologies and dozens of custom magnetics.
- Led team in redesigns for global EMI and safety approbations for a dozen products.
- Designed power supply for LightFair International (awarded product of the year).
- Senior Analog EE in group, mentoring younger engineers and guiding designs from inception to completion.
Energetiq Technology Inc., Woburn, MA, Senior Electrical Engineer, 2006 - 2008.
- Designed, prototyped, and brought to production high voltage 3-phase 25kW DC power supplies inductively-coupled pulsed plasma drivers.
- Designed, modeled, and prototyped several high voltage power supplies, capacitor chargers, and pulsed power systems for plasma and laser applications, up to 60kW CW, 40MW per pulse.
- Devised first-principles nonlinear magnetic modeling of multi-stage magnetic switching systems.
- Product development team leader for both laser-driven light source and high power, high frequency pulsed light source.
- Led electrical engineering team, mentored less experienced engineers, and hired new engineers.
General Dynamics AIS, Ypsilanti, MI, Principal Engineer, 2003 - 2006
- Developed calculation methods and GMTI algorithms for novel passive, bistatic SAR system.
- Led multi-disciplined team in hardware partitioning a real-time radar range compression algorithm onto COTS FPGA VME boards.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers - IEEE, Senior Member
- Lighting for Tomorrow Grand Prize award for SSL Cove Lighting
- LightFair International Product of the Year award for remote-phosphor downlight
- GDAIS Creative Technology Proposal Award, Excellence Award for program achievements, University of Chicago ASC Outstanding Volunteer Award
- Scientific Consultant, "The Nuclear Boyscout," Eagle & Eagle Television, London
- Featured Scientist, "Stephen Hawking's Universe," BBC, London
- International Science and Engineering Fair Grand Award, for demonstrating cyclotron of my own design (uniform field, two Dee, slight positive index, variable frequency proton cyclotron, 400nA peak beam current
- U.S. Patent - UV light source system
- M.S. Physics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- B.S. Physics, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL