- Medicinal Chemistry
- Drug Discovery
- Preclinical Development
- Synthetic Organic Chemistry
- Intellectual Property Strategies
Independent Consultant, 2004-Present
- Provide independent R&D (medicinal chemistry, drug discovery and preclinical development), business development and fundraising consulting services for established and start-up biotech, pharma and diagnostic companies.
Vice President, Research & Development, Managing Director, Molecular Imaging, (Subsidiary of Siemens), 2003-2004
- Device, Software, Radiotracer and Diagnostic R&D. Led integrated medicinal chemistry, radiochemistry, physics, biology, probe discovery and development, microfluidics, hardware and software engineering functions.
- President and Director for subsidiary, CTI Technologies, Inc.
- Initiated development on new PET radiotracers for imaging Alzheimer's disease and cancer; managed multiple device, software and probe projects.
President and Chief Scientific Officer, Ceretek, LLC, 2000-2003
- Lead all R&D, Business Development and fundraising activities. Full P&L responsibilities.
- Developed substantial intellectual property portfolio covering novel receptors, assays and lead compounds.
- Established and implemented the Company strategy of drug discovery and development targeting Lipid G-Protein Coupled Receptors (L-GPCRs) to identify novel therapeutics for cancer, immune, cardiovascular, ophthalmic and CNS disorders.
- Led team that identified first novel subtype selective Edg1, Edg2, Edg4 and Edg7 antagonists.
Vice President, Scientific Affairs, Questcor Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 1997-2000
- Led Questcor'9s antiinfective and cytoprotective preclinical research. Line management responsibility for biology, chemistry, informatics, and screening for the company.
- Developed novel and successful antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral (Hepatitis C) programs certain of which are currently in preclinical or early clinical development.
Director of Chemistry, Synaptic Pharmaceutical Corp., 1991-1997
- Directed the chemistry effort for successful projects including: alpha 1a antagonist project targeting Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH); alpha 1 and alpha 2 agonist projects for urinary incontinence, pain and glaucoma; novel NPY5 antagonists for treating obesity.
Senior Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry, Allergan, Inc., 1989-1990
- Initiated and led the medicinal chemistry effort focusing on the discovery of novel alpha 2 agonists for the treatment of glaucoma.
- Initiated the medicinal chemistry effort focusing on hypotensive lipids for the treatment of glaucoma.
- Part of the project team that discovered LumiganTM, a novel prostaglandin that is marketed for the treatment of glaucoma.
Honors & Publications
- Lawrence Livermore Labs Homeland Security Industry Advisory Group
- Allergan Discovery Research Award
- Sole or co-inventor of over 75 patents issued in the United States
- Published over 45 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters.
- Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, Texas A&M University
- B.S., Chemistry, Stevens Institute of Technology