Polymer and Emulsion Process Development Expert
Technical Consultant #2277
- Vinyl acetate homopolymer, vinyl acetate ethylene copolymer and acrylic emulsion process development.
- Vinyl acetate ethylene PVOH spray dried polymer process development.
- Process and product scale-up and technology transfer from lab to pilot to manufacturing across all market areas of the emulsion business.
- Identification and deployment of research and development best practices across global technology organizations.
- Deployment and use of electronic laboratory notebooks to replace paper.
- Project management for large novel research and development projects and portfolio management that relies on analysis and modeling of both the technical and financial aspects of each opportunity.
- Stage-gate work process.
- Innovation work processes.
- Research and development change management.
- Manufacturing operating procedures.
Independent Consultant, Present
Air Products and Chemicals Inc., Allentown, PA, Project Manager, 1984 - 2009
- Provided project management leadership for $8 million annual budget novel lithium battery material focused on emerging HEV/PHEV battery markets.
- Led feasibility study to assess the value of electronic laboratory notebooks to replace paper notebooks across global technology organizations.
- Identified productivity savings of at least 30 minutes per week and up to 10 hours per week for research and development technologists as business case.
- Presented results of pilot trial of electronic laboratory notebooks at Association of Laboratory Managers Conference (ALMA).
- Provided financial models and templates to assess new business and technology opportunities across all global technology and commercial development organizations.
- Designed, developed and deployed a global research and development intranet portal as part of the new Microsoft SharePoint environment for knowledge retention and sharing.
Manager, Process Development
- Led deployment of best practice research and development work processes across the electronics, performance materials and corporate research and development organizations.
- Developed and implemented a standard approach for financial analysis of technology programs and projects.
- Deployed a common stage-gate development work process across all global Air Products technology organizations.
- Developed, trained and deployed a common approach to financial analysis of new offerings which led to being able to place a present and future valuation on what the $140 million per year research and development spending is worth at Air Products.
- Provide a common set of metrics for project valuation and portfolio management across the corporation.
- Led, mentored and coached multiple stage-gated (over $5 million per year spending) technology projects for novel advanced materials focused on electronics, battery materials and nano-materials markets.
Asset and Process Technology Manager
- As a dual Research and Development Business Manager, developed and led portfolio of global development programs and projects for the Air Products Polymers emulsions business.
- Managed process development group, new product development, process and quality improvement, maximization of capacity and capital utilization programs for the 300 million pounds, per year business.
- Successfully deployed a "best in class" reactor technology system design in both a California and a Mexican plant cutting cycle times by more than half and doubling plant capacity saving $20 million in capital expansion.
- Managed process development group and pilot plant successfully, expanding pilot plant with $2 million capital expansion to support "best in class" development.
- Pilot scale and manufacturing support for doubling capacity of VAE spray dry business.
Manager Process Development
- Managed process development group that included 24 engineers and technicians, 2 pilot plants, and quality improvement programs in support of the overall, 750 million pounds, per year emulsions business.
- Developed technology platform plan which served as the basis and key input for developing the business strategy for this $300 million per year revenue business.
- Led cross functional group that increased system-wide capacity 30% with no cost and low cost capital options, via debottlenecking from a sold out position saving over $10 million in capital.
- Served on due diligence teams and provided technology support of domestic and international acquisitions that explored a Brazil expansion and led to expansion into Mexico and Korea.
Principal Process Engineer/Section Manager
- Led numerous process and product scale-up activities from lab to pilot to manufacturing across all market areas of the emulsions business.
- Actively involved in due diligence and start-up of two domestic acquisitions.
- Documented a technology transfer work process.
BF Goodrich Chemical, Independence, OH, Sr. Process Engineer
- Process design for the central engineering group.
- Major projects included doubling the capacity of a specialty manufacturing facility, debottlenecking PVC fluid bed and rotary dryers, and an increase in polymer latex capacity by 50%.
Davy McKee, Independence, OH, Process Engineer
- Process design for a wide variety of chemical and petrochemical capital projects.
- Major projects included plant designs for several ethylene oxide and ethylene glycol plants, specialty polymers and refineries.
Honors & Publications
- Selected top manager at Air Products for a five part Leadership Education series (part of a group of 200).
- Completed internal education programs: Innovation, quality management, statistics, statistical design, and continuous improvement.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- National team captain for Air Products Leukemia and Lymphoma team.
- The Ohio State Alumni Association.
- M.B.A. Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- B.S.Ch.E. The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH