- Leading performance improvement in fuel cell and electrochemical devices.
- Re-engineering processes to reduce costs and improve efficiency.
- Aligning operations, systems and controls with changing global business environments.
- Ensuring product quality and continuous improvement using Six Sigma methodologies.
- Driving issues resolution, root cause analysis and Lean manufacturing practices.
- Developing cost models and targets that align with company strategic plans.
- Shepherding products conceptual design to implementation.
- Renewable energy
- Fuel cells
- Electrodes and batteries
Undisclosed Company, Vice President Operations, 2014 - 2016
- Managed global operations: Supply chain, quality, planning and logistics, facilities and value engineering departments.
- Ramped up previous year's volume five-fold and reduced costs 25% within six months while selecting and developing alternate sourcing and in-sourcing options.
- Cut production costs 65%, with new operations.
- Recruited to restart manufacturing operations.
- Took company from zero to over $100 million revenue, from 30-300 employees, and brought in and commissioned over $20 million in capital equipment within one year.
- Established Quality Department at Company, eliminating 58% of supplier issues.
- Saw opportunity to combine several external and internal quality groups into one department.
- Enabled faster response to address supplier issues, assuring more efficient root-cause and corrective action processes. Brought to ISO9001 certification.
- Delivered five-fold growth in product delivery while reducing product cost 25%.
- Transitioned from manual planning and purchasing to electronic ERP system using JDE software.
- Established and responsible for company's full MRP system to control production and aftermarket planning, purchasing of product and non-product, spares and inventory.
- Responsible for 24/7 build scheduling and materials supply.
- Implemented production teams (supply chain, quality, manufacturing, engineering, planning) with commodity-driven focus.
- Managed component and sub-assembly suppliers including electrical systems, electroplated castings and thin film coatings, and in-house sub-assembly and final assembly of fuel cell stacks and power plants.
- Responsible for full verification, validation, reliability, durability, performance and certification of all finished goods.
ClearEdge Power, (UTC Power), South Windsor, CT, 2013 - 2014
Director, Product Cost and Value Engineering - Quality
- Led cross-functional product development teams on a three-year budget management program, resulting in a 70% product cost reduction for the stationary commercial fuel cell products.
- Eliminated more than $10 million annually in overhead costs at ClearEdge Power. Fixed costs added a significant fraction to the overall costs of the final product.
- Identified cost of poor quality, unplanned root-cause analyses, unexpected field failures and extra unplanned labor to rework manufacturing issues. Tasked stakeholders to reduce lost dollars and hours. Cut primary area losses 75% within one year.
United Technologies, South Windsor, CT, 2012 - 2013
Engineering Manager and Supply Chain Commodity Manager
- Promoted to manage mechanical design, product definition and configuration management groups.
- Led teams developing lifecycle cost models, maintaining budgets, schedules and execution of projects.
- Managed supply chain and supplier relationships and negotiations for transportation programs, including bus, automotive, and submarine programs. Managed PAFC and PEM fuel cell programs.
Product Cost and Development Manager, 2010 - 2011
- Drove issues resolution, relentless root cause activities and lean manufacturing practices for robust production of fuel cell stacks.
- Drove 70% drop in product cost for UTC primary product. Collaborated with senior management, setting cost targets to align with sales expectations.
- Reduced first-year projected costs 40% plus another 30% in the following two years by new product development in the areas of electrode, cell stack, and power plant mechanical components design and performance optimization.
- Managed $10 million annual cost reduction budget, enabling global marketing of new products.
Product Development Lead, 2008 - 2010
- Improved electrode and substrate/carbon fiber manufacturing process for phosphoric acid fuel cells, reducing electrode costs 40% within one year. Completed cost reduction tasks on or ahead of schedule.
- Developed and scaled up new methods of fuel cell electrode fabrication.
- Led manufacturing and development of solid-state platinum catalyst layers, silicon carbide layers, and carbon fiber substrates, electrical and thermal conductivity and resistivity testing.
General Motors, Honeoye Falls, NY, Engineering Supervisor, Fuel Cell Activities, 1999 - 2008
- Submitted over 15 patents related to Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) fuel cells.
- Demonstrated 2010 automotive Platinum loading targets.
- Managed internal Membrane Electrode Assembly program including process and performance optimization of catalysts, membranes, and electrodes.
- Research Chemist, Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Newport, RI.
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY.
- Research Intern, NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, OH
Honors & Publications
- MIT Sloan Executive Certificate - Finance for the Technical Executive
- UTC - ACE Associate Certificate (similar to Six Sigma Green Belt)
- Certified ISO Auditor
- Given equal status as Federal Employee with U.S. Navy
- Conversational Spanish
- Conversational Cantonese
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of over a dozen publications for the technical journal industry, educational seminars, conferences and energy organizations.
- Over twenty patents submitted, (over 15 patents related to fuel cells and electrochemistry)
- Ph.D. Inorganic Chemistry/Electrochemistry, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- M.S. Inorganic Chemistry/Electrochemistry, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- B.A. Chemistry, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY