- Design, implementation and oversight of studies in regulatory science, GLPs, USEPA and OECD test guidelines.
- Fate, transport and assessment of agrochemical environmental chemistry.
- Design and manage GLP laboratory and field studies with domestic and international CRO partners focused on agrochemical fate and transport in the environment.
- USEPA and international regulatory criteria for agrochemicals.
- Preparation of agrochemical registration dossiers.
- Agrochemical residue analysis in soil, water, and air.
- Agrochemical metabolite identification.
- Pre-clinical toxicology of candidate pharmaceuticals in animals and cell-based systems.
- Molecular toxicology of agrochemicals, endocrine-disrupting chemicals and occupational chemical exposures.
- Research chemical exposures in relation to human illness and disease.
- Graduate-level instruction in environmental chemistry and toxicology.
- Project management, pre-clinical toxicity trials of candidate pharmaceuticals, and field studies, reporting to domestic and international regulatory agencies.
Expert Witness Experience
Case Work Preparation
- Researched and evaluated a list of chemical workplace hazards for toxicity and association with worker illness in support of pending litigation.
Undisclosed Company, Environmental Science Expert, 2015 - Present
- Provide knowledge and expertise in environmental chemistry and toxicology, focused on agrochemicals and environmental safety.
- Provide research and training on relevant issues, development of strategies and solutions through white papers, reports, seminars and workshops.
- Completed project: For a major Chicago law firm, researched and evaluated a list of chemical workplace hazards for toxicity and association with worker illness in support of pending litigation.
DuPont Crop Protection, Stine-Haskell Research Center, Newark, DE, 2008 - 2014
- Assessed the environmental safety of new and existing agrochemicals to satisfy national and international regulatory standards.
- Designed and managed GLP laboratory and field studies with international partners, interpreted and reported data to domestic and international regulatory agencies.
- Experienced in USEPA and OECD test guidelines and national and international regulatory criteria.
- Represented DuPont on industry trade associations (Pyrethroid Working Group, European Crop Protection Association).
Toxicology Research Laboratory, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, Study Director, 2007 - 2008
- Responsible for pre-clinical toxicity trials of candidate pharmaceuticals in animals and cell-based test systems.
- Designed and managed studies under GLP criteria.
- Reviewed and interpreted data for presentation to industry clients and federal granting agencies (NIH, EPA).
School of Public Health, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, Assistant Professor, 2000 - 2008
- Within the Division of Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety, developed and taught graduate-level courses in Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology required for MS, PhD, MPH and DrPH programs of study.
- Directed a grant-funded graduate research program in molecular and cellular toxicology of agrochemicals and environmental pollutants.
- Advised graduate students and served on the UIC Institutional Review Board overseeing human subject's research.
Institute for Toxicology & Environmental Health, University of California, Davis, CA, 1998 - 2000
- Conducted research on molecular mechanisms of action of agrochemicals and dioxin compounds.
- Principal focus was on the alteration of cellular signaling pathways by xenobiotic chemicals relative to chemical carcinogenesis. Research funded by the National Institutes of Health (F32-Fellowship).
Massachusetts Pesticide Analysis Laboratory, Univ. of Mass, Amherst, MA, 1985 -1998
Analytical Chemist, Chief Analytical Chemist and Laboratory Manager
- Conducted chemical analysis of pesticide products and environmental samples under direction of the Massachusetts Pesticide Bureau.
- Conducted routine product quality assurance testing; designed and implemented research on the fate and transport of pesticides in the environment.
- Communicated results to the Pesticide Bureau, agricultural and environmental stakeholders and in the primary scientific literature.
- Trained and managed technical staff of analytical chemists.
- Developed and managed annual budget sourced from state (MPB) and federal (USEPA) funds.
Honors & Publications
- Diplomat of the American Board of Toxicology.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society, Agrochemicals Division.
- National Research Service Award, National Institutes of Health
- Young Scientist Recognition Award, ACS Agrochemicals Division
- Author and Co-Author of various publications in and for peer reviewed journals, symposium and letters. Topics:
- Ph.D. Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
- M.S. Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA