- Industrial applications development, market analysis, scale up, for thin film adhesives industry.
- Market analysis and development of structural adhesives.
- New product introduction, film adhesives: Electronics, construction, medical device, renewable energy.
- Six sigma and design for six sigma certified.
- Thin film and die cutting process web handling
- Thin film process development: Extrusion, UV-curing, and solvent.
- Reaction Injection Molding (RIM) process development: Moisture curing urethane adhesives.
Expert Witness Experience
- Intellectual property disputes and attorney research support.
Undisclosed Company, Proprietor and Consultant, 2014 - Present
- Educator for design engineers on the principles of adhesion, advising on the incorporation of adhesives, both structural and non-structural, into new product development.
- Adhesive market insight, relating to both raw materials and finished industrial products.
- Legal support for clients with intellectual property disputes and providing expert witnessing and report writing for Legal Counsel.
University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO, Department Manager, 2008 - 2013
- Department lead on the Steering and Operations Committees for the design development and operational functions of the new campus facility for the Chemical and Biological Engineering Department, Biochemistry Department and BioFrontiers Institute.
- Directed Co-operative Education Program for undergraduate students, working with industry partners to establish job opportunities for Chemical Engineering undergraduates.
- Supervised $4 million department general budget and gift fund monies.
- Managed external communications with industry.
3M Company, St. Paul, MN, 1989 - 2007
Commercialization Specialist, 1992 - 2007
Industrial Adhesives and Tapes Division
Development Engineer Specialist, Commercialization Lab, 2002 - 2007
- As a Design for Six Sigma specialist, led commercialization qualification programs, launching successful ideas into the NPI/DFSS development program, advising our divisional directors on which product ideas to pursue.
Senior Engineer, Technical Service
- Led Semiconductor CMP (Chemical Mechanical Planarization) Market Penetration project.
- Led Technical support of Customer Projects, where we identified customer process improvements with use of Six Sigma DMAIC and DFSS tools for identifying customer needs.
Senior Market Development Applications Engineer, Marketing
- Market development responsibilities for DP-8000 series of products.
- Identified key markets for LSE structural bonding and leads for specific applications with the DP-8010 product.
- Six Sigma DMAIC tools used to identify highest potential markets.
Senior Engineer, Technical Service, Engineered Adhesives Division, 1999 - 2002
- Application development responsibilities for BSD double coated tapes.
- Led division's largest customer team, Rodel, as well as the medical market team leader.
- Trained the sales force and laboratory personnel on existing and new products.
- Worked closely with end-user and converter customers to develop new products.
Advanced Engineer, Technical Service, Bonding Systems Division, 1996 - 1999
- Application development responsibilities for BSD double coated tapes. Led two customer focused teams.
- Trained the sales force and laboratory personnel on existing/new products and identified numerous opportunities for new double coated tape products.
Advanced Product Development Engineer
- Led team to develop and commercialize a single-coated clean removal tape from multi-facet prism. This concept/technology was designed to differentiate 3M from other low tack adhesive tapes by providing ultra clean removal at a microscopic level.
Research Engineer, Adhesive Technology Center, 1992 - 1996
- Led team to scale-up and commercialize a re-closeable non-tacky adhesive system.
- Urethane adhesive developed for the O-Cel-OTM sponge manufacturing process as well as made process improvements which resulted in significant cost savings to the manufacturing process.
- Software and test method developed for new continuous manufacturing process. This resulted in significant product manufacturing improvements.
- Low cost high initial tack urethane adhesive developed to address low end curing hot melt market.
Technical Aide, Automotive Trades Division , 1989 - 1992
- Developed PRO-Fill Easy Sand 2-Part Epoxy Adhesive
Honors & Publications
- Six Sigma and Design For Six Sigma Certification
- BSD Catalyst Award
- Bonding at Its Best Non-Sales Exceptional Performers Program
- Author of numerous articles outlining Return of Investments
- Multi-use Pattern - Embossed Fabric Softener and Anti-static and Fragrance Delivery
- Multiple Cycle Fabric Softener and Anti-static and Fragrance Pouch System for Dryers
- Sealed Pouch as delivery system
- Golf Grip Tape and Wetting Solution
- Microscope Slide Cover Film
- Crystalline Thermoplastic Bead Bond for Retro-reflective Sheeting
- M.S. Materials Science, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- B.A. Physics, Bethel University, Arden Hills, MN