- Polymer coatings and composites.
- Polymer surface functionalization.
- High voltage materials.
- Polymer, metal and ceramic surfaces.
- Electrical insulation materials.
- Polymer/ceramic filler optimized interfaces.
- Conducting polymers.
- Polymer structure property relationships.
- Polymer electronic and electrical properties.
- Nanomaterials and processes.
- Polymer synthesis and characterization.
- Polymer metallization and adhesion science.
- Battery electrode materials.
- Flexible circuits and manufacturing processes.
- Electronics packaging materials.
- Antistatic materials.
- Product quality testing and failure analysis.
- New technology development, from concept to scale up and commercialization.
Undisclosed Company, 1987 - 2015
Senior Research Specialist, Corporate Research Materials Laboratory, 2001 - 2015
- Platform Leader and Lead Material Scientist responsible for conducting both fundamental and applied research on advanced polymeric materials and systems for wide range of electrical and electronic applications.
- Key member of senor technical staff who developed and executed new technology platforms, growth strategies and vision for Corporate Research Materials Laboratory.
- Led the efforts in technology transfer, scale up and commercialization through new technology introduction schemes by aligning with global business units.
- Developed novel polymer ceramic composites with tunable electrical properties for next generation high voltage cable accessories (resulting in a patent).
- Invented a novel polymer coating and a system solution to enhance the electrical breakdown strength of high voltage electrical insulation materials (patent application submitted).
- Developed surface functionalized microfluidic structures on polyimide flexible circuits for novel point of care electrochemical diagnostic applications (resulting in a patent).
- Analyzed latest technology trends, formulated strategic plans and technology roadmaps,and provided expert opinion to senior management team.
- Sponsored academic research, analyzed latest technology trends, formulated strategic plans and technology roadmaps, and provided expert opinion to senior management team on future investment decisions.
- Trained and coached junior scientists and technicians.
Advanced Research Specialist, Electronics Products Division Laboratory, 1996 - 2001
- Team Leader and Lead Material Scientist for the development of advanced protective coatings for polyimide flexible circuits used in ink jet printing and electronic packaging.
- Developed customized photosensitive epoxy acrylate compositions for ink jet and hard disk drive flexible circuit protection.
- Formulated a high temperature photosensitive and acid developable polyimide system for electronics packaging (resulting in a patent).
- Engaged with large customers (HP, Lexmark, Seagate) in new product introduction and commercialization.
Research Specialist, Corporate Research Sector Laboratories, 1991 - 1996
- Lead materials researcher for the development of novel conducting materials and processes for electronic and electrical applications.
- Formulated a novel antistatic coating based on vanadium oxide zero gels to enhance. performance and durability of Integrated Circuit (IC) chip carriers (resulting in a patent).
- Designed a novel chemical process to selectively alter a portion of an electric power cable so as to increase its resistance to render it electrically insulating (resulting in a patent).
Senior Research Chemist, Corporate Research Sector Laboratories, 1987 - 1991
- Developed a novel metallization process and an adhesion promotion technique for copper on polyimide flexible circuits (resulting in a patent).
University of Missouri, Chemistry Dept., Rolla, MO, Research Assistant Professor, 1985 - 1987
- Developed a low cost catalytic process to synthesize alkyl alkoxy silane precursors (resulting in a patent).
University of Pennsylvania, Chemistry Dept., Philadelphia, PA, 1981 - 1985
- Synthesized and characterized novel conducting polymer electrodes for electrochemical cells including secondary batteries and fuel cells (resulting in a patent).
- Provided training seminars for 3M global technical community.
Honors & Publications
Publications and Patents
- Over 9 patents and pending applications, trade secrets and external publications
- Ph.D. Degree, Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- B.S. Degree, Chemistry (Hons.), University of Colombo, Colombo, Sri Lanka