- Leading plastic materials expert creating revolutionary new materials for global companies.
- Top mineral fillers and specialty fillers expert.
- Serial innovator, in top 0.01%, with 6 open innovation prizes.
- Problem solving, breakthrough materials and training for Fortune 100 companies.
- Award-winning presenter on plastics and innovation.
Expert Witness Experience
- Patent dispute over methods to make high strength polyethylene fiber (Dyneema etc.).
- Patent dispute case that settled out of court.
- Multiple class action cases involving implantable polypropylene mesh (Marlex type).
- One defendant settled out of court.
Undisclosed Company, President, 2009 - Present
- Consultant to the Fortune 100 companies pertaining to plastics, additives and materials.
- Problem solving, new business generation, training and advisory roles.
- New step-change materials created and brought to market.
- World-class innovator with 6 open innovation wins and 14 granted patents.
LKAB Minerals, Technical Director, 2013 - 2015
- Technical sales and marketing, creating new applications.
- Increased sales and gross profit 10 to 20 percent per year.
- Launched and led a major two global marketing initiatives (NPV-Net Present Value over $10 million).
- Technical adviser giving support and training for the global unit.
Applied Minerals Inc., Chief Technical Officer, 2011 - 2113
- New uses of halloysite nanotubes in plastics, coatings, adhesives and cosmetics.
- Developed several new grades and significantly improved productivity of over 90%.
- Technical marketing to hundreds of customers world-wide.
- Market Cap increased from $80 million USD to over 140 million in under 2 years.
Hybrid Plastics, Chief Scientist U.S.A., 2007 - 2009
- Marketing of POSS additives for thermoplastics, thermosets and elastomers.
- Identification of customer needs, crafting solutions and bringing them to market.
- Solved a major production problem in first month on the job.
- Introduced multi-sourcing of raw materials reducing production cost of three main products by 30%
- Award winning new flow aid and dispersant products resulted in record sales.
BASF, Germany Manager, Global Product Development, 2003 - 2007
- Marketing and Research and Development of specialty styrenic plastics.
- Solved a major production quality problem for ABS, ASA and MABS that had confounded BASF for 30 years (resulting in several patents).
- Developed a totally new smart, transparency changing thermoplastic in just eight days from customer request.
- Advisor to Renewable Polymers Team, Nano Taskforce, BASF Venture Capital, the German polymer institute (IKV) and mentor to younger co-workers.
Electrolux Frigidaire, Sweden and Italy, Senior Project Manager, 1999 - 2003
- Managed a pan-European project portfolio leading a team of 5 sub project managers (B.Sc and Ph.D staff) plus co-ordination of university collaborations.
- Optimization of calcium carbonate filled polypropylene formulation brought estimated cost reduction of over 1 million Euros per year.
- Topics included easy-clean surfaces, water run-off control, Lotus Effect, thermochromic devices, scratch resistant surfaces, antioxidants, materials selection and optimization.
- Over 30 invention disclosures including a revolutionary scratch-resistant polypropylene technology.
Institute for Surface Chemistry, Polymeric Materials Group, (YKI) Sweden, 1995 - 1999
- Directed multinational projects and teams funded by companies including Borealis, Akzo Nobel, Castrol, Omya and Ciba (now BASF).
- Major topics included polymers, composites, dispersants and antioxidants.
- Technical consulting plus some management consultancy to resolve a dispute at a major corporation.
- Created project concepts and raised funding to support a group of 8 reports.
Honors & Publications
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Chartered Chemist
- Professional Engineer-P.E.
- Swedish conversational and reading.
- Limited German and Italian.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Member Society Plastics Engineers - SPE
- Research and Development 100
- Frost & Sullivan Best Customer Service
- Multiple awards from conference presentations
Publications and Patents
- 3 Encyclopedia chapters, 6 book chapters, 40 articles, 40 presentations
- 14 granted patents
- Ph.D. Polymer and Surface Science, University of Sussex, Falmer, U.K.
- M.Phil. Polymer and Surface Science, University of Sussex, Falmer, U.K.
- B.Sc. Chemistry with Polymer Science, University of Sussex, Falmer, U.K.