- Over thirty-five years of experience in process engineering, operations and maintenance in the petroleum refining industry.
- Turnaround execution and safety system implementation.
- Turnaround development and management - able to lead diverse functions and different personalities to accomplish aligned goals.
- Developing systems for people to work effectively as a team.
- Operations and maintenance management.
- Risk based work selections - maintenance.
Independent Contractor, Present
ExxonMobil Baytown Olefins Plant, Baytown Olefins Plant Turnaround Advisor
- Developed turnaround work scope.
- Helped advise and lead contractor selection, readiness reviews, milestone development and compliance, coordination of turnaround functional leaders (engineering, machinery, inspection, operations, planning, scheduling, etc.)
- Advised turnaround management team during all stages of development and execution.
Esso Imperial Refining Nanticoke, Ontario, CA, Turnaround Event Manager
- Managed turnaround execution on alkylation, crude and vacuum stills, catalytic cracker, hydrotreating, sulfur recovery, flare, high pressure reactor, and specialized units.
- Reversed the plant's poor performance in turnaround execution to an excellent performance by all measures - safety, quality, reliability, schedule, and cost.
EM Shawnee Films Plant, Technical Manager
- Led effort to implement integrated improvement plans across all lines with parameters that reduced defects and improved efficiency.
- Realigned engineering resources with line operations to improve effectiveness.
- Utilized senior engineering resources to mentor and develop younger engineers.
- Developed and implemented planning and scheduling systems for base maintenance and large line overhauls.
- Implemented risk-based work selection for $11 million maintenance budget.
- Eliminated unnecessary contracting activities to reduce maintenance budget by $1 million.
- Offsites, Power Generation, Utilities and Environmental.
- Managed operations and maintenance efforts, including turnaround planning and management - gas power turbine generation, and offsites.
ExxonMobil Chemical Plant, Baton Rouge, LA, Operations and Maintenance Supervisor
- Managed operations and maintenance activities at butadiene, isoprene, and isobutylene extraction plants.
- Managed process and mechanical planning and execution of several turnarounds.
- Implemented new systems for improved adherence to environmental requirements and improved mechanical reliability for heavily loaded chemical treatment facilities.
Product and Feedstock Coordinator
- Coordinated and optimized feedstocks for steam cracking.
- Coordinated production rates of ethylene, propylene, and butadiene.
- Ensured supplies met customer's needs (rail, truck, and pipeline).
- Worked with technical and pipeline teams to resolve product quality issues.
- Carried out troubleshooting and optimization studies on steam cracking and butadiene, isoprene, isobutylene extractions.
- Developed project design basis for safe use of vinyl acetylene as boiler feedstock.
- Led Task Force at Baton Rouge chemical plant to reduce unnecessary flaring by over 80%.
- Developing new techniques for operations and maintenance, new methane tracing methods and direct flare line rate measurements.
- Led team for development and implementation of new safety systems including change management, document control, operations and maintenance procedures, control of defeat of critical systems.
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK