Refinery Maintenance and Reliability Engineering Expert
Technical Consultant #2148
- Over thirty-five years of engineering and management experience in the petroleum, petrochemical, and synthetic fuels industries.
- Gap analysis, reliability management, plant design, construction, startup, and maintenance.
- Maintenance and mechanical integrity requirements.
- Establishment of plant standards and requirements.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Engineering and Advisor Division Manager
- Provide consultation in the field of gap analysis, reliability management, plant performance evaluation, turnaround management and due diligence studies.
- Manage the Texas division for this company including, the heavy lift organization.
Lyondell Chemical Company, Houston, TX, Director, Specialty Engineering
- Set the strategic direction for maintenance and mechanical engineering on a worldwide basis for over 60 chemical manufacturing sites and refineries.
- Established maintenance and mechanical integrity requirements.
- Established and managed budgets.
- Provided plant and capital project technical support.
- Established standards and requirements for all plants.
- Implemented maintenance work processes and reliability programs that reduced maintenance cost $70 million and contract manpower 34%, while improving reliability to record levels.
- Integrated company acquisitions into the mechanical integrity and reliability programs.
- Led due diligence efforts for acquisitions and synergy execution.
Manager, Regional Reliability
- Managed the corporate non-process engineering organization providing worldwide technical and project support for ten manufacturing facilities.
- Managed plant mechanical and I&E, (Instrumentation and Electrical) reliability engineering, inspection, machinery programs and warehousing for all Gulf Coast facilities.
- Department had 140 employees, $20 million operating budget and executed $30 to $40 million of capital project work annually.
- Developed a worldwide mechanical integrity and reliability program.
- Upgraded safety interlock systems and DCS for all facilities.
- Performed a mechanical integrity, reliability and operating cost assessment for the purchase of a $560 million chemical plant.
- Led domestic and international due diligence teams for other plant evaluations and acquisitions.
- Established a worldwide standards, supplier qualification and quality assurance program.
- Revised over 100 corporate engineering standards to reduce cost and enhance reliability.
Manager, Engineering Services
- Managed the corporate mechanical engineering department including rotating equipment, fixed equipment, utilities, fired equipment and quality assurance.
- Provided technical support for the completion, startup and maintenance of propylene oxide and derivative facilities.
- Identified and corrected safety issues in the major manufacturing facilities.
Oil Shale Operations, Parachute, CO, Supervisor, Reliability Engineering
- Implemented and managed an engineering department to improve the reliability of the mine, retort and refining facilities for the world's first commercial oil shale plant.
- Solved over 90% of the mechanical, electrical and instrument problems that caused plant shutdown between 1983 and 1990.
- Implemented a plant wide reliability program including vibration analysis, laser alignment, and failure analysis and repair procedures.
Senior Project Engineer
- Served as resident Mechanical Engineer in Lurgi offices, Frankfurt, West Germany.
- Developed design to adapt fluid bed combustor technology to oil shale retorting.
- Completed a mechanical engineering package for the U.S. Treasury Department.
Team Leader, Retort Technical Services
- Supervised an engineering department, E&C companies and consultants responsible for start- up support.
- Completely redesigned a piece of major rotating equipment including model testing, patent application, design, installation and field testing.
- Designed a wear resistant shale disposal system that improved life from two days to over one year.
Texaco, Inc., Basingstoke, England, Project Engineer
- Served a three year assignment as the resident Mechanical Design Coordinator for a $700 million expansion of the Pembroke, Wales refinery.
Honors & Publications
- Certified Professional Engineer
- Certified Maintenance and Reliability Professional
- Author of technical articles and made domestic and international presentations on implementation of reliability programs.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, (Honors), University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY