Maritime Safety, Ship Survey, and ISO Audits Expert
Technical Consultant #2145
- Maritime Safety Management Systems Auditor.
- Maritime accident investigation.
- ISO 9001:2008 Auditor.
- Inspection: Offshore, ship hull and machinery inspections.
- Maritime education and training.
- Shipbuilding project management.
- Non Destructive Test - NDT Level II
- Marine surveying.
- Maritime legislative.
Expert Witness Experience
- Expert witness services for maritime insurance companies.
Undisclosed College, Lecturer- Maritime, 2015 - Present
- Lecturer at the Professional Education and Training department for USCG mariner courses.
- Engineering lecturer for Marine Technology - Small Vessel Operations program.
Lloyd's Maritime Academy, London, U.K Course Author and Consultant, 2014 - 2015
- Developer of course modules and learning outcomes of professional diplomas:
- Offshore platform surveying.
- Marine Engineering.
- Oil, gas, and petrochemical shipping.
Undisclosed Consulting Firm, (Maritime) Founder, 2013 - Present
Consultant and Surveyor
- Assignments included inspection of commercial ships and offshore installations for oil and gas companies on behalf of governmental organizations, maritime administration, classification, and insurance companies.
- Provided Maritime Management Systems audits and consultancy for ISM, ISPS, ISO 9001 and MLC for commercial ships.
University of Trinidad and Tobago Chaguaramas, Chaguaramas, Trinidad, 2012 - 2014
Senior Maritime Lecturer, Engineering Department
- Lecturer of ship diesel propulsion plants, marine engineering and auxiliary systems, Engineering Design (CAD/CAM), Marine Surveying, and simulator based training courses for Diploma and BSc students as per MCA, (Maritime and Coastguard Agency) and IMarEST (Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technlogy) standards, United Kingdom.
- Proven track record of success by preparing students to pass MCA engineering exams.
- Leading the engineering department to revalidate the Diploma program as per MCA new requirements for STCW (Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers) 2010 (Manila amendment).
- Provided on going technical consultancy to the local maritime sector (Governmental and Private Sectors).
- Member of the technical committee of the IMO (International Maritime Organization) Caribbean Regional Office for the review of the Small Commercial Vessels Code for vessels operating in the Caribbean Region.
Mechanical and Marine Engineering Services, Tartous, Syria, 2012
Mechanical Engineer and Workshop Manager
- Team leader with a proven ability to train, supervise and evaluate 15 fitters and mechanics.
- Supervising maintenance and installations of mechanical equipment (pumps, valves, steam and thermal oil boilers, heat exchangers).
- Performing NDT, (Non-Destructive Testing) inspection and surveys for welding joints for pressure vessels, heat exchangers, waste heat recovery boilers, economizers and super heaters.
- Plan and prioritize sales activities and customer and prospect contact towards achieving agreed business goals, including costs and sales.
- Evaluated employee performance and conduct required training.
Rayah Maritime Services, Dubai, UAE, Technical Superintendent, 2010
- Supervised and arranged day to day engineering management of allocated vessels.
- Monitored vessel and ship staff performance of 6 ships by daily communications, and advised ship staff if necessary regarding technical problems.
- Prepared and supervise repairs specification in workshops and ship yards.
- Compliance of vessel's ISM, ISPS and Quality System.
- Completion of 2 ship project conversions - $30 million (USD) projects.
Merchant Navy, (Marine World Wide), Chief Engineer, 2002 - 2012
Chief Engineer and Cadet to 2nd Engineer
- Sailed as Engine Cadet up to Chief Engineer onboard General Cargo, LPG, Crude Oil Tankers, and Bulk Carriers with various main engines and power plants of both diesel engines and steam turbines.
- Responsibilities included efficient operation and maintenance management of shipboard machineries (two and four stroke engines, steam turbines, air conditioning and refrigeration plants, boilers, air compressors, pumps, hydraulic equipment, cranes, etc.)
Al- Dolphine Marine Workshop, Tartous, Syria, Mechanical Engineer, 2001 - 2002
- Coordinate repairs of private and government owned small vessels, tug boat, barges, and supply vessels.
- Inspecting marine equipment and machinery in order to draw up work requests and job specifications.
- Liaised with suppliers and manufacturers in time-critical situations to ensure rapid dispatch of spare parts or equipment, as well as nominating repairers.
IAESTE, (International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience), 2001
Trainee Engineer, National Technical University of Athens, Greece
- Educator: Metal fabrication, quality control, testing and inspecting of materials and engines overhauling.
Honors & Publications
- P.G. Diploma. ING, Naval Architecture & Offshore Engineering, Aries Institute of Marine Technology, India
- Certificate: Marine Engineering, Chief marine Engineer, Arab Academy for Science, Technology, and Maritime Transport, Alexandria, Egypt
- Certificate, Marine Surveying: Lloyd's Maritime Academy, London, U.K
- Chief Marine Engineer Certificate of Competency - Egypt
- ASNT Non Destructive Test Level II (UT, MT, PT, RT, VT)
- STCW short professional training including advanced Oil Tanker courses.
- ISM Lead Assessor Course
- ISO 9001:2008 Auditor Course.
- ISO 19011 Auditor Course.
- Risk Assessment and Incident Investigation Course
- Port State Control Course
- ISPS Code Course
- Shipbuilding Practice
- Marine Engineering Design
- IMO Train the Trainer
- KONGSBERG Engine Room Simulator Technical Course
- Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council, U.K.
- Chartered Marine Engineer, IMarEST, U.K
- Chief Marine Engineer, STCW III/2, Egypt
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member, Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology, IMarEST - U.K.
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers-ASME
- Member, Royal Institution of Naval Architects - RINA, U.K
- Member at the American Boat and Yacht Council - ABYC
- First Rank achievement in Chief Marine Engineer exams, Alexandria, Egypt
- First Rank achievement in Second Marine Engineer exams, Alexandria, Egypt
Publications and Patents
- National and International Author for collegiate text and courses,peer reviewed articles in technical and scientific magazines.
- MSc. Engineering - Management, University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, United Kingdom
- B.S.M.E. Mechanical Engineering, Power, University of Tishreen, Lattakia, Syria