- Energy efficiency optimization in chemical processes using process integration techniques based on Pinch Analysis - oil, gas, chemicals, pharma, pulp - paper, food processing (ethanol, HFCS, raw sugar refining, fruit juice concentration, dairy and poultry.
- Simulation modeling of process plants and plant utility systems, steam generation and cooling water.
- Combined heat and power (cogeneration) systems design and operational optimization.
- Industrial and commercial water management strategies - reuse, regeneration, and recycle.
- Distributed wastewater treatment systems design and simulation modeling.
- Process heat recovery optimization, using Pinch Analysis, fouling mitigation and HX mods.
- Electrical power conservation and recovery - load management, ASDs.
- Water conservation and wastewater minimization, using Pinch Analysis.
- Process and utilities performance indices, (KPI development and on-line implementation).
- Seminars and courses in Process Integration techniques for energy and waste reduction.
- Process engineering, including heat and material balances, P&IDs, equipment specifications and project management.
- Technical management consulting (energy strategy, technology transfer, research and development support, market studies and support, due diligence, and forensic audits.
- International work experience in N & S America, Middle-east, Europe, Asia, and Africa.
Expert Witness Experience
- Worker fatality case against a global food-processing and commodities-trading corporation.
- Dispute between owner of ethanol plant and engineering firm.
- Dispute between Home Owners Association and building contractor regarding mildew resistant paint.
Undisclosed Company, Founder and CEO, 1997 - Present
- All aspects of general management, marketing, sales, and project management. Coordinate the work of 8-10 associated consultants and alliance partner companies in our network.
- Servicing industries in the hydrocarbon, (oil and gas production, oil refining, gas processing), petrochemicals, inorganics, and specialty chemicals, pulp and paper, food and beverage (grain processing, ethanol, sugar refining, breweries, dairy, fruit/veg processing) and electric utilities.
- Development of technical training courses, mostly related to different aspects of energy efficiency improvement and water conservation in chemical plants.
- Successful execution of dozens of consulting projects individually and in teams - process design of new plants and retrofit of existing facilities (including CHP systems).
- Industrial clients have included blue chip companies: Apache Corp, Devon, Conoco-Phillips, Tesoro, Saudi Aramco, Petrochina, Pemex, Dupont, Takreer (national refining co of Abu Dhabi), Union Carbide (now Dow), Monsanto, Mitsubishi, SABIC, SASOL, Boise Cascade, Kimberly Clark, Georgia-Pacific, Mead, Wetvaco, Weyerhauser, Tyson Foods, Kraft Foods, Cargill, Domino Sugar, Miller Brewing, Ocean Spray, Heinz, Pfizer, and Tinidad Cement.
- Government and institutional clients have included: U.S. Dept of Energy, Natural Resources Canada (Canmet), Ministry of Petroleum & Minerals (Egypt), UNIDO, World Bank (IFC), Electric Power Research Institute, Gas Research Institute, Southern California Edison, Southern California Gas (Semprs Utilities), Xcel Energy, Public Service Electric and Gas of New Jersey, Utah Power & Light, and Dubai Supply Authority (a gas transmission/distribution pipeline co).
Saudi Arabian Oil Co, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, 2001 - 2008
Consultant, Corporate Energy Efficiency Program
- Developed corporate energy efficiency program from scratch - strategy, staffing and budgeting.
- Responsible for initiating and executing plant energy studies and following up from funding approval through to execution, post-commissioning operations monitoring and verification.
- Trained over 100 local engineers - via lectures (courses authored and developed) as well as on-the-job supervision.
- Creating infrastructure to assure institutionalizing of energy efficiency into company's business practices - preparation of Best Practice Manuals, organizing annual intra-company "technology exchnage" meetings, creating a "virtual community" online for shaing problems and solutions, amending corporate standards and procure manuals to include energy efficiency, extending the technical career ladder, developed a list of approved engineering contractors to conduct energy optimization studies and engineering.
- Represented company at international research consortium on process integration and optimization.
- Interfaced with top management - rolling five year plans, preparation and presentation of annual energy report to the Board of Directors.
- Under this consultant's guidance, achieved a record unmatched by any other major oil and gas company in the world: Reduced its corporate energy index by 40%.
Linnhoff March Inc., Pensacola, San Francisco, Houston, FL, CA, TX, 1986 - 1997
- Filling various potions: Consultant to Manager.
- Led about 3 dozen energy efficiency and water conservation studies internationally, in a variety of industries.
- Taught the private and public courses on Pinch Analysis for the company and also through American Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- As head of the Houston office, managed a team of professionals with advance degrees, and well as conducted optimization studies individually and in teams.
- In conjunction with a colleague, developed the basic algorithms and superstructure for both CHP system and a plant water optimization software program, which have since become the industry standards.
Henningson Durham & Richardson Inc., Pensacola, FL , 1979 - 1984
Chief Process Engineer, and Assistant Vice President
- In change of process design for the company's chemical industry projects - Air Products and Chemicals, Arizona Chemicals, Great Southern Paper, IBM, and several other less well-known companies.
- Provided technical support to Company's marketing and sales group.
Honors & Publications
- Hindi - conversation
- Professional Engineer (PE).licenses in Ohio, Nebraska, Florida, and Louisiana
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Senior member
- Phi Lambda Upsilon honor society
- Multiple awards for superior performance at Saudi Aramco
- Best paper award at AIChE spring national meeting in San Antonio
Publications and Patents
- More than 60 publications and technical conference presentations on a wide range of subjects - mostly related to process design and optimization, and energy management.
- 1 patent (ethanol distillation).
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India