Petroleum Industry Instrumentation and Control Systems Expert
Technical Consultant #2113
- Petroleum refining industry planning and developing complex Instrumentation and Control Systems projects (I&CS).
- Defining and communicating business case and other strategic justifications to obtain project funding from senior management.
- Leverage technical, logistical, and financial knowledge to analyze and address constraints and overcome project challenges.
Independent Consultant, Present
ExxonMobil Research and Engineering, Program Development Lead, 1975 - 2013
- I&CS specialist for upstream research and project development companies with global work experience.
- Designed and implemented FEED (Front End Engineering and Design) and EPC (Engineering Procurement and Construction) contracting strategies to complete control and safety systems scope on several projects.
- Developed project scopes for replacement of 39 TDC2000 control systems ($2.1 billion) across 30 refining and chemical sites in Asia, Australia, Europe, Canada, and U.S.
- Conducting business case analyses.
- Defining scopes of work and estimating costs.
- Presenting contract strategies to senior management for program approval and program development.
- Participated with a task force developing a case for the replacement of aging TDC3000 control systems in over 35 global locations in upstream, refining, and chemical ($2 billion).
- Represented ExxonMobil on the Board of Directors of the Fieldbus Foundation.
- Served as Instrumentation Specialist for ExxonMobil Research and Engineering's Safe Operations Committee.
- Reviewing lessons from industry incidents.
- Assessing safety and environmental risks of novel designs and new technologies deployed in ExxonMobil plants.
- Developed improvements to I&CS cost and schedule estimating methods
- Developed tools that are applicable to both early project development and front end engineering design (FEED) phases of major capital projects.
- Prepared and delivered training programs for instrumentation, custody transfer, and safety instrumented systems.
Project Development Manager (ExxonMobil Downstream and Chemical affiliates)
- Managed development of ten control and safety systems replacement projects with budgets ranging from $5 million to $50 million each.
- Led multiple risk assessments, project technical design reviews, cost reduction task forces, and 'cold eyes' project readiness reviews.
- Prepared scoping studies and design specifications for I&CS on major capital projects.
- Selected the suppliers of control system goods and services for large capital projects, with some global strategic business agreements applicable across the company.
- Developed and maintained ExxonMobil instrumentation engineering standards and best practices as Chairperson of the Instrumentation.
Honors & Publications
- Helped develop a standard for safety instrumentation systems.
- Company and industry training programs covering technical, project management and communication skills.
- Fluent in French and Italian; conversational in German
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Technical presenter at ISA (International Society of Automation) and ARAMCO
- International Society of Automation Member
- Obtained patent for a control system and strategy that allows deep water drilling at 10,000 feet.
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Rochester Rochester, NY