Petroleum Industry Metallurgy and Materials Engineering Expert
Technical Consultant #2110
- Materials engineering in the petroleum industry providing over thirty years of experience.
- Corrosion prevention.
- Failure analysis.
- Fitness-for-service assessments.
- Equipment in refineries, petrochemical units, and upstream facilities.
Chevron, Exxon, and ExxonMobile, Technical Expert (of 36 years)
- Lead Technical Expert in areas of crude corrosion, high temperature corrosion, fitness-for-service (including high temperature remaining life assessments), risk-based inspection, and metallurgy.
Leadership role in several API efforts to develop standards
- Brittle fracture prevention guidelines in API 653.
- Research on creep embrittlement of Cr-Mo steels.
- Research and guidance on minimum pressurization temperature for heavy wall reactor vessels.
- Risk-based inspection standards 580 and 581.
- Fabrication of heavy wall Cr-Mo and Cr-Mo-V reactors (series of 934 standards).
- Participant in several industry-sponsored research efforts and lead in deploying and using results at company facilities.
- Cracking of steels in wet H2S environments.
- Assessing life of equipment operating in creep range - Project Omega.
- Reliability of aging heavy wall reactor vessels.
Production Improvements, Educator, and Analysis Activities
- Led effort within company to increase volumes of corrosive crude within refineries through improved understanding of crude corrosion mechanisms and optimal use of mitigation. strategies, such as inhibitor injection and selective use of alloy.
- Taught courses to plant engineers on metallurgy, corrosion, risk-based inspection, degradation mechanisms, fitness-for-service, and life of equipment in the creep range assessments.
- Lead expert in performing failure analyses using a range of analytical equipment.
- Evaluated the effects of harsh environments at high temperatures involving carburization, metal dusting, and sulfidation in reducing conditions.
Honors & Publications
- Authored or co-authored over 10 papers in ASME/PVP, NACE or other conferences.
- Led and presented topics at many petroleum industry exchange meetings.
- M.S. Metallurgy and Materials Science, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN