Refinery and Petrochemical Operations Safety Expert
Technical Consultant #2095
- Refinery safety management systems evaluation and recommendations.
- Fire and explosion investigations.
- Emergency response planning.
- Petrochemical operations and troubleshooting.
- Evaluations of refinery EH&S (Environmental Health and Safety) procedures and practices.
- Process improvement projects for refinery operations, EH&S practices.
- Improving petrochemical industry and regulatory agencies communication.
Expert Witness Experience
- Refinery and petrochemical process operations, engineering, and safety management.
- Accepted as an expert in one or more of these venues:
- Judicial District Court (14)
- Judicial District Court (19)
- U. S. District Court - Middle District
- Circuit Court of Cook County
- U. S. District Court - Eastern District
Undisclosed Company, President, 1997 - Present
- Assessed the safety management systems for 14 refineries.
- Developed comprehensive risk management protocol to evaluate effectiveness of management systems and provided recommendations.
- Follow-up assessments and evaluations to assure effective implementation.
- Performed safety assessments with risk reduction and technology enhancement recommendations for petrochemical facilities.
- Evaluated safe work permit procedures and practices at 12 refineries.
- Performed fire and explosion investigations.
- Developed operations staffing technique for world's largest refinery at Ulsan, South Korea.
- Refinery pre-startup safety audits.
- Evaluated of facilities and management systems associated with several refinery purchases.
- Using Management of Organization Change (MOOC) techniques to aid in transition planning.
Exxon Co., USA, 1980 - 1997
Process Operations Manager, 1983 - 1997
- Directed all refinery process operations.
- Managed a work force of 650 company employees and 100 contract employees.
- Exercised stewardship responsibility for facility safe operation, environmental and production performance.
- Oversaw operating budget exceeding $600 million per year.
- Served on the refinery Management Committee that guided broad refinery direction.
- Chaired the company wide Process Managers Committee that oversaw safety standards, safe operating committees, HAZOP activities, cost, and reliability improvements on an Exxon refining circuit wide basis.
- Developed an effective emergency response organization, integrating refinery resources with those of the local community.
- Initiated and participated in the formation of an industry and government agency group to enhance both emergency response and public perception.
- Chaired a task force that developed safety, health, and environmental metrics for each refinery's performance, which was adopted as best practice by other functions.
- Participated in process safety assessments of domestic and international Exxon refineries.
- Chaired several groups that examined and recommended optimum operations staffing levels and organization structure for refineries.
- Leader and steward for the refinery's Process Safety Management programs.
- Acted as primary technical participant in several OSHA and EPA settlements.
- Participated as key management representative in the successfully bargaining of 5 multi-company labor contracts and 15 labor arbitrations.
Technical Manager, 1980 - 1993
- Managed approximately 300 engineers who coordinated day-to-day technical and computing product support.
- Provided project development, detailed engineering process designs, and implementation.
- Guided the career development of all refinery professional employees.
- Served as a member of the refinery Management Committee.
Honors & Publications
- Fault Tree Process Hazard Analysis
- Certified Industrial Firefighter and Incident Commander
- Additional training courses: Design, Operating Procedure development, Heater Operations, Safety Engineering, Work Permits, HAZWOPER, Quality Management, Supervisory Principles, Safe Operations.
- Conducted courses on Risk Management for Exxon's U.S. refinery operations supervision
- Keynote speaker on Safe Operations for Exxon Worldwide Technology Conference
- Speaker on emergency response at API Safe Operations Subcommittee General Meeting
- B.S. Chemical Engineer, Virginia Technical College, Blacksburg, VA