- Technical aspects and production of PB (Particleboard) and MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard).
- Industrial experience as technical contact providing oversight for particleboard, MDF, plywood, OSB, (Oriented Strand Board) and engineered wood for over two decades.
- Particleboard process and product improvements, customer service, codes and standards, environmental impacts, and evaluation of new products and materials.
- Wood dust and formaldehyde compliance issues as they relate to the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard, OSHA Formaldehyde Standard, and California Air Resources Board Air Toxics Control Measure for wood composites.
- Technical management, oversight and support for particleboard, MDF, plywood, OSB, engineered wood clients.
- Served as a resource for questions on technical issues regarding process and product improvements, customer service, codes and standards, environmental impacts, and evaluation of new products and materials.
- Wood science and technology.
Expert Witness Experience
- Product liability case regarding mobile home particleboard decking, hardboard siding and trim, and regarding product compliance with formaldehyde emissions.
Undisclosed Company, Owner-Manager, 2008 - Present
- Consultant on technical and manufacturing issues in wood composites as well as compliance with formaldehyde regulations.
- Consultant on quality control in particleboard and MDF plants.
Flakeboard America, Simsboro, LA, Technical Manager Composites, 2006 - 2008
- Technical Manager for Composites responsible for technical oversight for all Flakeboard particleboard and MDF plants.
- Responsible for developing policies and procedures to maintain compliance with codes and standards and formaldehyde emissions for all wood composites.
- Technical contact for major claims on particleboard and MDF.
Willamette Industries/Weyerhaeuser, Simsboro, LA, Technical Director, 1985 - 2006
- Served as Technical Director, Technical Manager and Environmental Coordinator in a particleboard plant with additional duties as company source for research projects.
- Formulated policies and procedures for particleboard and MDF compliance with OSHA Hazard Communication and Formaldehyde Standards
- Served as Technical Manager for Building Materials (particleboard, MDF, OSB, Plywood, Engineered Wood).
- Responsible for developing policies and procedures to maintain compliance with codes and standards for all wood composites.
- Part of a team to establish an environmental coordinator's program for particleboard and MDF plants
- Served as Chairman to revise the Formaldehyde Grademark Program for the Composite Panel Association
- Served as Chairman of PS-1 and PS-2 Standing Committees.
- Developed densitometers for Willamette PB/MDF plants.
- Conducted studies to provide technical information necessary for building plants for OSB, LVL/IJ, MDF, and PB.
- Formulated policies and procedures for PB/MDF compliance with OSHA's Hazard Communication and Formaldehyde Standards
- Part of a team to develop an environmental coordinators program for Willamette PB/MDF.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Forest Products Society
- American Society for Testing and Materials
- Phi Kappa Phi , Scholastic Honorary Society
- Fred W. Gottschalk Memorial Award, Forest Products Society
- Distinguished Service Award, Washington State University
- Outstanding Lifetime Service Award, Composite Panel Association
Publications and Patents
- 34 publications including 14 publications on MDF
- Co-author on Agriculture Hand Book - Fiberboard Manufacturing Practices in the United States
- Ph.D. Wood Science and Technology, Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, CO
- M.S. Masters of Forestry, Wood Science and Technology, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- B.S. Forestry (Wood Technology), Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, LA