- Interpretation and analysis of highly technical Japanese documents in English.
- Pharmaceutical and biotechnology research project management.
- Biochemistry - cellular biology background: Biologics and small molecule drug discovery and development.
- Liaison and interpreter for licensing and material transfers to and from Japanese organization.
- Manager of in vitro pharmacology assay development and standardization.
- Scientific evaluation and review of new drug targets.
- Plant biotechnology.
- Protein design and purification.
Expert Witness Experience
- Pharmaceuticals patent protection (non-testifying expert).
Undisclosed Company, Principal and Expert Consultant, 2011 - Present
- Interpretation of Japanese technical documents for global pharmaceutical marketed product protection and precision at top rated law firms.
- Consulting for a major Japanese functional food company.
- Support for establishing applied science research for iPS cell growth control reagent development.
- Support functional food research and development, FDA filing, global CRO and collaboration development and marketing.
- For a plant-based biotechnology company in Japan: CRO planning, coordination, and product development.
- Supported technology licensing organization (Non-profit) as their representative in the United States for translational research from Japanese academic institutions to global pharmaceutical companies.
- Consulted in vitro biochemistry lab work. Designed and established non-radioactive high-throughput capable assay for cardiovascular ion channel drug target. Supported patent filings preparation of the system.
- Liaison between senior managers, global industrial collaborators and academic partners.
- Organized meetings and generated achieved minutes for patent filing and licensing.
Sanofi-Aventis, Bridgewater, NJ, Senior Research Investigator, 2006 - 2010
- Orphan GPCR project leader and global project group committee member.
- Managed internal and external collaborations.
- New target proposal committee member and siRNA (Small Interfering Ribonucleic Acid) project initiator and leader.
- Therapeutic areas were endocrinology and internal medicine with focus on skin fibrosis, keloid and wound healing.
- Developed and standardized in vitro pharmacology assays as a lab head and group leader.
Millennium Pharmaceuticals Inc. , Cambridge, MA, Senior Scientist I, 2002 - 2006
- Completed lead optimization and delivered development candidate compound.
- Led in vitro pharmacology efforts to develop various assays and successfully delivered development candidate CRTH2 antagonist compound for asthma treatment.
Neurogen Corporation, Branford, CT, Visiting Scientist Senior Scientist I, II, 1998 - 2002
- Evaluated a new biological target class and worked to explore and expand the compound library.
- Initiated and developed the PDE enzyme project for neuronal and metabolic disorder treatment.
- Cloned entire family of human PDE genes and established the recombinant enzyme assays.
- Developed knowledge base of GPCR and cytokine signaling in a neurological system and analyzed the signaling.
- Mentored graduate student who published a master's thesis study.
The Rockefeller University, New York, NY, Postdoctoral Fellow, 1993 - 1997
- Determined the mechanism of mammalian basic and activating transcription factors in regulating gene expression.
Jichi Medical School, Tochigi, Japan, Assistant professor - Associate professor, 1988 - 1992
- Cloning and promoter analysis of human housekeeping and tissue specific genes.
- Purification, cloning, and functional analysis of a homeobox DNA binding factor implicated in regulation of the mammalian genes during the development.
- Teaching and mentoring medical school students and junior scientists.
Honors & Publications
- Advanced communicator certificate, Toastmasters Club in New York and New Jersey.
- Native in Japanese
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- New York Academy of Sciences, member
- Licensing Executives Society (LES), member
- Healthcare Businesswomen's Network (HBA), member
- The U.S. - Japan healthcare professionals and licensing discussion group, member
- Leukemia Society of America, Special Fellow Award
- Toyobo Biotechnology Foundation, Long-term Fellowship
- Attained grants from the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture of Japan
Publications and Patents
- Over 20 publications in peer reviewed medical and international scientific journals, poster presentations and conferences.
- Translation of biochemistry text book in Japanese as a co-author.
- Ph.D. Biochemistry - Plant Physiology. University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
- M.S. Biology Biochemistry - Plant Physiology. Niigata University, Niigata, Japan
- B.S. Biology Biochemistry - Plant Physiology. Niigata University, Niigata, Japan