Over 25 years of experience in Polyethylene and Polypropylene (PE and PP), process technology licensing and technology transfer, including:
- Polyethylene plants start-ups and troubleshooting worldwide.
- Polyethylene manufacturing operations improvement in licensed plants worldwide.
- Negotiating sale of new PE and PP licenses and extension of existing licenses.
- Developing synergistic relationships with multifunctional teams of legal, technical, and business associates to service PE & PP licensees.
- Chemical IP transfer and Licensing.
Undisclosed Company, Principal, 2001 - Present
Projects and Cases
- Dow Chemical: (Intellectual properties and research and development) evaluation to support major tax litigation case.
- Best Energies: (Biofuels IP license contract implementation).
- Convert Coal Inc: (Coal-to-oil IP License contract drafting).
- Chemical, biochemical process technology licensing and technology transfer.
- Participated in advisory role for projects (technology, engineering, licensing) related to converting biomass to biofuels and coal to liquid fuels.
- Guest lecturer for technology licensing at the University of California in Irvine and at Chapman University.
Union Carbide Corporation - Dow Chemical, Operation, 1977 - 2001
- Marshaled company's technical resources (production, process and product research and development, process and product technology, engineering) and business resources (licensing sales, catalyst sales, services, legal and contract administration) for UNIPOL™ PE & PP licenses.
- Managed twenty six (26) domestic and international PE and PP UNIPOL licensees (significant responsibility for technology exchange and safety improvements).
- Provided technical support to licensing sales, as well as engineering and project support to signed licensees to design, engineer, and construct their UNIPOL PE and PP plants worldwide.
- Provided technical sales support for numerous prospective licensees, resulting in sale of 9 PE/PP licenses in China, Japan, and India.
- Provided project support to numerous domestic and international PE and PP licensees.
- Interacted constantly with technical functions of clients and their engineering contractors to ensure proper interpretation of licensed technology and process design; to organize and attend model reviews, and to host technical training sessions as part of the technology transfer obligations.
- Critical efforts in minimizing construction delays and accelerating plant start-ups, allowing faster receipt of income from royalty payments and from catalyst sales.
- Managed several production teams to successfully start up and/or troubleshoot licensees' PE plants worldwide.
Start-up Team Member, Polisur PE, Argentina, and Mobile Chemical Company, Texas, U.S.A.
- Plant start-up, troubleshooting, improving plant performance to maximize royalties and catalyst sales, providing refresher training, and conducting new PE product campaigns.
Chief Commissioning Engineer
- Norchem (later Quantum) PE, a plant in Illinois, and for the Buna, PE plant in former East Germany for plant start-up troubleshooting and improving plant performance.
Operations Team Member, Seadrift Plant, Texas
- Assisting in experimental PE production runs with new catalysts and/or new systems.
- Recommended novel approach for operations improvement and participated in subsequent pilot plant trials to test feasibility.
Technical Sales Representative, Linde Division, Iran
- Marketing engineering products and processes to the oil and gas industry, including the Unox process for the biological treatment of wastewater via the activated sludge process.
Arya Mehr University of Technology, Iran, 1973 - 1977
- Participated in the original applied research in fermentation (single cell protein and dyes) and biological wastewater treatment (activated sludge, trickling filter and rotating biodisc).
- Set up wastewater analysis service for local industries.
- Lectured in microbiology and biological wastewater treatment and supervised students' projects.
Honors & Publications
Proficient in five languages
- Divisional VP Special Recognition Award - Exceptional production support to PE licensees world-wide.
- Divisional President Award - Exceptional engineering sales support to Licensing Sales team.
- UCC Chairman's Team Award - Exceptional engineering sales support to PE Licensing Sales team efforts in China.
Publications and Patents
- Author of numerous articles on process technology and technology transfer. White papers and sales presentations.
- M.S. Biochemical Engineering, University of Birmingham, England
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Birmingham, England