Fluoropolymer Coatings Expert for Industrial and Medical Devices
Technical Consultant #2035
- High performance fluoropolymer based coatings related generally to tribology, permeation, antifouling, electrostatic dissipation, coating application and process technologies.
- Coatings for medical devices.
- Coatings for oil and bitumen production and processing.
- Cookware coatings.
- Coating performance testing and evaluation.
- Polymers, elastomers and plastics.
Independent Consultant, Present
- Service clients in high performance fluoropolymer based coatings industries.
- Oil industry clients, antifouling coatings (wax, asphaltene, bitumen, and scale), particularly for production tubing and heat exchangers, application and formulation.
- Medical device coatings.
- Coatings used in office automation machines, particularly the fuser rolls of copiers and laser printers.
- Commercial food production, cooking and baking coatings.
- Chemically harsh environments protective coatings.
- Coatings for automotive applications.
- Surface treatment coatings of extensions.
DuPont, Wilmington, DE, Senior Research Associate, 1978 - 2013
- Product, processing and applications development with specific focus on coatings.
- Developed customized high performance coating products for specific customer end uses that provided the performance expected.
- Applications of coatings and development of the coating formulation in the The Teflon® Finishes Business.
- Antifouling coatings; (wax, asphaltene, bitumen, scale etc.) in the oil industry, particularly for production tubing and heat exchangers, application and formulation.
- This start-up business was known as StreaMax™ and this experience also applied to other industries.
- Coatings used in medical devices such as Metered Dose Inhalers (MDI), catheter guide wires for the purpose for lubrication and antideposition properties.
- Coatings used in office automation machines, particularly the fuser rolls of copiers and laser printers - dozens of specialized coating for all the major manufacturers in U.S.A., and Japan.
- Coatings used in commercial food production, cooking and baking, particularly bread and buns.
- Coatings used in chemically harsh environments such as chemical reactors.
- Coatings for automotive applications such as fuel pumps, brake dampers, weld nuts and studs.
- The extension of coatings technology to similar uses such as surface treatments.
- Patents, writing claims, patent strategy, infringement, freedom to operate.
- Organizing and leading large internal worldwide technical meetings.
- Training and development of colleagues.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member, American Chemical Society
- Member, National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE)
- Member, Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Member of the thesis committee and advisor of a chemical engineering graduate student at the University of Massachusetts- Lowell
- DuPont Marketing Excellence Recognition Award - Commercialization of Teflon Coating for GlaxoWellcome.
Publications and Patents
- Author of numerous books, chapters, and presentations.
- Over 10 patents.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- B.S. Chemistry, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY