- High performance and conventional organic pigment research and development.
- Process and product Improvement.
- Plant design and start-up.
- Fine particle technology.
- Surface treatments.
- Literature searches.
Independent Consultant, Present
- Organic pigments development for various clients in the paint, textile, ink and plastic industries.
- Develop high performance pigments, such as perylenes, quinacridones and CPC blues and greens.
- Extensive experience in the development of azo red and yellow pigments for the industrial paint, trade sales, textile and ink markets.
Dominion Colour, Clifton, NJ, High Performance Pigment Specialist, 2005 - 2013
- Assisted the corporation in all aspects of developing processes for various high performance pigments, including quinacridones, isoindolines, isoindolinones, condensation azos, quinacridones, perylenes, DPPs, miscellaneous vat pigments and many others.
- Carried out literature investigations and wrote reports on diverse topics of potential corporate interest such as heavy metal abatement, nanotechnology, delisting of barbituric acid as drug by Canadian Government, Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) and conductive inks.
- Evaluation of potential toll manufacturing partners, both domestic and foreign, including on-site visits.
Eastbound Technologies, Inc., Livingston, NJ, Vice President-Technology, 2000 - 2005
- Introduced new and improved pigments into our partner pigment factories in China.
- Developed new lines of high performance pigments, including perylenes, quinacridones, azo and various vat pigments of world class quality, now being sold world-wide to major pigment users in the ink, textile and plastics industries.
Fabricolor, Inc., Paterson, NJ, Director of Technology, 1997 - 2000
- Responsible for world-wide technology, including new product development and process improvement in the U.S. for pigments and additives, as well as overseas projects with joint venture and trading partners.
Cookson Pigments, Inc., Newark NJ. Director - (Research and Development) 1989 - 1996
- Managed the 12-member research and development department. Responsible for spearheading the development of a new line of quinacridone, perylene, anthraquinone and CPC blue pigments for the automotive, architectural, textile and plastics industries.
- Successfully introduced 10 products into a new 14 million-dollar manufacturing facility. Annual sales for these products were in excess of fifteen million dollars.
- Instrumental in the development of new naphthanil red, CPC blue and monoazo yellow pigments for the automotive, industrial, traffic, architectural and plastic markets.
Bayer Corporation, Haledon, NJ, Technical Director, 1972 - 1989
- Responsibilities included: Supervision of a staff of thirty-five chemists and technicians in New Jersey and South Carolina; managing all technical aspects of pigment research and development.
- Oversaw manufacturing process control and services for Bayer's U. S. pigment operations.
- Coordinated operations with the research staff of the parent company, Bayer, Germany and was the research and development leader for the planning and construction of a new 65 million dollar pigment plant in South Carolina.
- Introduced a series of rheologically and coloristically improved quinacridone, perylene and phthalocyanine pigments to the automotive and industrial paint markets.
Manager of Process Control and Development
- Instrumental in reducing the off quality inventory by fifty percent and instituted process improvement steps which led to annual cost savings of over one and a half million dollars.
Supervisor - (Research and Development)
- Planned and managed the research and development budget and the day-to-day activities of the Pigment Department. Wrote all process reports and assisted in planning and implementing all long-range research projects. In the last four years, introduced 22 new products, which contributed 4 million dollars in sales annually.
- Products introduced included azos, quinacridones, perylenes, CPCs, carbazole violets, thioindigos, flavanthrones and other polycyclics.
Dupont, Newark, NJ, Research Chemist, 1968 - 1972
- Research and development of quinacridones, azos and new chromophores.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- Sigma Xi
- Detroit Colour Council
- Co-Chair of Symposium on Color at National American Chemical Society Meeting.
- Past Chair of American Chemical Society Delegation to the Inter-Society Color Council.
Publications and Patents
- Author of numerous publications,(numerous conferences).
- U.S. and Foreign Patents on quinacridones and isoindoline pigments.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- B. S. Chemistry, City College of New York, N.Y.