- Biochemistry, protein chemistry, and protein modification.
- Immunology, toll receptors, vaccines and vaccine adjuvants.
- In vitro and in vivo models of disease.
- Forecasting and determining future needs in pharmaceutical and biomedical industries.
- Research for development of 3M TLR agonists, created new opportunities as vaccine adjuvants and cancer therapies.
- In vitro and in vivo immune response and oncology models to demonstrate efficacy.
- Widely acknowledged for innovation and creativity to identify pharmaceutical product opportunities.
- Builder and leader of productive cross functional teams.
Undisclosed Company, CEO, 2012 - Present
- Servicing clients and projects with expert knowledge in: Oncology, drug discovery, clinical pharmacology, immunology, biotherapeutics, signal transduction, vaccines - vaccine adjuvants, in vitro and protemoics,(virtually all aspects of pharmacology).
- Focused work within physiological functions: Cellular, receptors, small molecules, toll receptors, innate and adaptive immunity, vaccines and vaccine adjuvants.
- Required skills in servicing projects: Project management, matrix leadership, precompetitive collaborations, biomarker development, assay validation, High Throughput Screening,(HTS)program initiation, and providing - applying animal models research.
- Consultant to Eisai Pharmaceuticals.
3M Drug Delivery Systems Division, St. Paul, MN, Division Scientist, 2008 - 2012
- Leader of immune response modifier research group.
- Led all new research for development of new 3M TLR agonists and created new opportunities as vaccine adjuvants and cancer therapies.
- Designed drug candidates programs which served as the basis of the project and subject of two new patent filings.
- Established in vitro and in vivo immune response and oncology models to demonstrate efficacy.
- Developed pre-clinical data package resulting in license revenue stream with four partnered pharmaceutical companies.
- Inventor on granted patents and applications for modulators of innate and adaptive immunity.
- Established project and led the identification of peptide and oligonucleotide aptamers for targeting adjuvants and vaccines to antigen presenting cells.
Division Scientist, Strategic Technology Assessment and Research (STAR), 1988 - 2008
- Member of select six - person 3M Division "think tank" charged with determining future needs in pharmaceutical and biomedical industry, to adapt emerging and 3M technologies to meet those needs, and bring designs to proof of concept.
- Designed hand - held nebulizer for inhalation drug delivery.
- Discovered peptide aptamers that enhanced transdermal delivery of large and small molecule drugs.
Program Management for Drug Discovery, 2001 - 2006
- Matrix managed and coordinated all research activities within drug discovery.
- Established research objectives for drug discovery.
- Developed idea-to-project process for progressing from target ideation to drug candidate selection.
- Established drug discovery programs for three new drug targets.
- Identified new lead drug candidates for new drug targets.
Team Leader, Immune Response Modifier Molecular Mechanisms, 1999 - 2001
- Led all research into molecular mechanisms 3M's immune response modifiers characterizing MAPK pathways, PI3Kinases, tyrosine kinases, transcription factor activation and TLR signaling components.
Team Leader, 5-Lipoxygenase Development Program, 1996 - 1999
- Led matrix team comprised of senior representatives from Drug Discovery, Path-TOX, PK/DM, Pharmaceutics, Clinical Research, and Regulatory Affairs.
- Introduced proof of concept overseas phase I - level fast track clinical trial approach.
- Brought three separate 5LO inhibitors to proof-of-concept clinical trials.
- Inventor on 5LO inhibitor patent.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Association of Immunologists
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Sigma Xi
- Three time winner 3M Circle of Technical Excellence and Innovation
- Merck Grant for Post-Doctoral Research
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of publications in peer reviewed national and international journals, college text books and abstracts.
- 4 U.S. Patents.
- Ph.D. Biochemistry, Rutgers University, Newark, NJ
- B.S. Biology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN